It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Glow plugs
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:21 pm 
LOST Member

I believe I paid $12.95 a piece plus shipping. I don't know how many they have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:05 am 
LOST Junkie

joelukex4 wrote:
I believe I paid $12.95 a piece plus shipping. I don't know how many they have.

Where did you order them? URL please.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:06 am 
LOST Junkie

dgeist wrote:
65Corvair wrote:
I had one go bad recently, and replaced it. The new one was slightly different and I hope it lasts longer.
They appear to have a different number stamped on them, and a different type of insulation.

Which is the new one, Phil? I have a set of 4 that look like the one on the left that have been sitting in the garage waiting for install since last fall. If ID can identify them as part of the bad batch, I'd love to swap them out BEFORE they sit in there for 6 months...

Dan

The black ring is the newer version.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

DOC4444 wrote:
Geordi expressed concern about affecting electrical continuity if anti-seize is used on the glow plugs.

Any thoughts?

DOC

Electrical continuity, or lack thereof, is why I asked the question originally. Anyone else care to comment on the issue?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:39 pm 
LOST Addict

SBrooks wrote:
DOC4444 wrote:
Geordi expressed concern about affecting electrical continuity if anti-seize is used on the glow plugs.

Any thoughts?

DOC

Electrical continuity, or lack thereof, is why I asked the question originally. Anyone else care to comment on the issue?

Steve

I haven't had an issue on the two vehicles I installed etecnos in using anti seize.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:31 am 
LOST Addict

DOC4444 wrote:

Any thoughts?

DOC

I doubt there is an issue.. I used anti seize on every glow plug and spark plug I have had. There may be an issue if the space between the glow plug and cyl head would be bigger, but anyways, when the glow plugs are tighten, that will happen by glow plug metal threads pushing/pulling against the cyl head threads, so will be metal touching metal anyways, no matter how much antiseize is in there, so the ground will be achieved without an issue. Even if the anti seize would not have any metallic composition.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In almost every reference I can find, the idea that current would somehow be inhibited significantly by the presence of antiseize is debunked pretty thoroughly. If that were an issue, the ohms would not align and our current-sensitive computer controlled diesels would have a fit almost immediately. The threads still make contact with the bore and the grease/flakes simply fill the tiny gaps and pores in the surface of the metal (when properly torqued). Plugs seize when they corrode in place. The way the "anti-seize" works is by inhibiting corrosion. The fact that it's a mild lubricant is only a secondary benefit.

The most common corrosion sources are simple oxidation (from trapped moisture/air) or galvanic/electrolytic from dissimilar metals contacting under a current, especially in the presence of an electrolyte (i.e. saltwater, coolant, etc.). The grease in the anti-seize functions to keep water out and the metal flakes can actually behave as a sacrificial anode if there's a significant difference in the galvanic potential (citation needed). Mostly, though, the flakes ensure the presence of the grease does NOT hamper conductivity. Marine assembly anti-seize has no flakes, for example.

The most important thing is to only use a LITTLE on the threads. Don't get it on the heating element and don't put enough on to squeeze out of the threaded bore. Wipe off any extra before you insert it and if you get any on the heating element, use an alcohol wipe (or something else with no residue) to get it off completely before insertion.

Granted, everything I just typed is based on science, not experience. I'm still hesitant to replace my GPs since I don't want to snap off a tip and have to pull the head:)

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:25 am 
LOST Addict

Dan, I think most glow plugs come out without issue, so think positive :D. Haven't had an issue replacing mine, but I did that with the valve cover out, when I did the rockers. They were stuck in there a bit, and I turned them in/out several times, to make sure they won't snap, but overall, they didn't pose a challenge.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.