It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clunking noise while turning
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:13 am 
LOST Newbie

So I've posted regarding this issue once before. I am hearing a clunking noise when I'm turning at low speeds both to the right and to the left and when I come to a stop and just as I begin to accelerate. I brought the Jeep to a friend's house yesterday, jacked up the whole front end. We went with a pry bar at every ball joint, cv joint, control arms, springs, suspension, every bushing and gave them all a little tug to see if anything is worn out or more loose than it should be but couldn't find anything. We then took it out for a test drive and continued hearing the clunking noise. It is most prominent when you're driving slow and make a hard full turn to the left, you hear one clunk. Then you would make a hard turn back to the right and hear one clunk then again. We repeated this about 10 times each way and it consistently clunked once with every turn. You can also feel/hear it when you go up a bigger bump or driveway entry. My friend even hopped up on the front bumper and bounced up and down pretty hard to see if it might be suspension related, but heard nothing there. So it seems that would be ruled out. This has us completely stumped. I even took it to 2 different mechanics and neither could find a problem. Any insight or suggestion or tip on this would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Clunking noise while turning
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:44 am 
LOST Addict

Is the transfer case stuck in 4wd?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I don't think so. I remember from the winter making hard turns while in 4wd that there is a lot of resistance and is harder to make sharp turns in 4wd than 2wd. Right now, all turns are very fluid and I don't feel any kind of resistance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had some clunking coming from the suspension joints after putting my lift in because I torqued a few things down without weight on it. It ended up being the brackets that hold the sway bar that needed to be loosened and re-tightened under load. left and right turns load the sway bar differently than straight up and down. You could always disconnect it entirely and just tie it up with some piano wire and drive around slowly to see if the clunk changes.

Also (and the fact that it usually happens while you're turning actually makes me think it is possibly not necessarily this...) it could be your engine mounts. When they go, any sudden torque load (stopping, starting, speed bumps, etc.) makes things clunk around if you have one gone. The steering thing COULD be a red-herring on that.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Sticking front sway bar bushings cause noises like this. Take out, grease with white lithium and reassemble. If noise goes away, install zerk fittings fittings so you can easily grease without taking apart.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:57 pm 
LOST Addict

asonyi wrote:
So I've posted regarding this issue once before. I am hearing a clunking noise when I'm turning at low speeds both to the right and to the left and when I come to a stop and just as I begin to accelerate. I brought the Jeep to a friend's house yesterday, jacked up the whole front end. We went with a pry bar at every ball joint, cv joint, control arms, springs, suspension, every bushing and gave them all a little tug to see if anything is worn out or more loose than it should be but couldn't find anything. We then took it out for a test drive and continued hearing the clunking noise. It is most prominent when you're driving slow and make a hard full turn to the left, you hear one clunk. Then you would make a hard turn back to the right and hear one clunk then again. We repeated this about 10 times each way and it consistently clunked once with every turn. You can also feel/hear it when you go up a bigger bump or driveway entry. My friend even hopped up on the front bumper and bounced up and down pretty hard to see if it might be suspension related, but heard nothing there. So it seems that would be ruled out. This has us completely stumped. I even took it to 2 different mechanics and neither could find a problem. Any insight or suggestion or tip on this would be greatly appreciated.

Wow this sounds exactly like my weekend!

Feels like it's in the front right suspension. Rubber sway bar bushings on the subframe have been removed and siliconed. Still there. This sounds like metal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just put in new engine mounts last year, and I remember when those were shot I got a different multiple clunking sound only when I shut the engine off. I'd be surprised if it were these.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:27 am 
LOST Junkie

I had same issue with clunk with left turn, new pax side axle/cv joint fixed it for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 pm 
LOST Addict

My low speed creak / clunk / groan / clank seems to have been fixed by a front end alignment. I have the lifetime alignment through firestone and I had them recheck it tuesday. Maybe something was working loose that caused the noises, especially pulling in and out of parking spaces. I haven't been able to reproduce the noise since then, and it used to be every time. She's tightened up now and toe put back in spec. It was toed slightly out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:55 pm 
LOST Member

i have an 05' i bought about two years ago with about 80k miles now i have over 120km and mine makes the same noise, its not the cv axle or the sway bar but i cant figure out what makes the noise, but i just keep on a driving will it makes the noise. if it does ever eventlly break, i will post it to let everyone know. :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:51 am 
LOST Newbie

It turns out, this clunking noise comes from a power steering fluid leak. Since that has been resolved, no more clunking.