It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Quitting when gets hot
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Maybe someone on here can help me. I bought my crd in February. I love it. I got some bad diesel fuel with dirt in it. I know because it plugged the filter on my tractor. Fuel from the same place same day. My crd lost power and I re-primed it. It ran great for 3 weeks and then just died. Re-primed and there was air in the lines. Started up and ran fine for one week. Then quit again. I replaced the filter and replaced the factory high pressure line connectors with rubber hoses. It still runs until it gets hot and there is no sputtering at all it just simply quits like you shut the motor off. It will not start until it sits for a long time then will start right up until it gets hot and then quits. When I re-prime it there seem to be little tiny bubbles that come out of the bleeder line. If I pump the primer it gets solid, but after a short time it looses pressure and you have to pump it up again. I have already read the posts and ordered a low pressure lift pump. Any other ideas?

Post subject: Re: CRD Quitting when gets hot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Based on the information shared here by others, I think the fuel is vaporizing in the lines and pump when it gets hot causing vapor lock. The lift pump will likely solve the problem. But it might be worth checking the fuel inlet tubing for obstructions when you install the pump.
I also found that bleeding the air on a steep incline helps get all of the air out. I install my lift pump this weekend....

Airtex E7181M In-tank Lift pump
123K miles as of 7/9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:50 am 

I installed the in tank pump suggested by others on this forum; it solved all fuel starvation and air in fuel problems... :D
A very good mod indeed!!! :SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

since you have a known fuel problem and it worked before - odds are its still a residual of that.

one filter change might not have cleared up the fuel problems.

however - without a known problem- the typical okay when cold - dies when hot - sounds like an electrical symptom.

so I'd probably check out the crank position sensor as a precaution - (pull it out measure resistance - point a hair dryer at it and see if the resistance changes.)

and FYI it is possible to have air-in-fuel problems with an intank lift pump - been there done that - change the hoses at the tank when you add the lift pump

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hmm, sounds like it could be an injector. Take a look at these posts:

viewtopic.php?p=660595#p660595
viewtopic.php?p=648881#p648881

If you end up needing a new injector, Oregon Fuel Injection has a great price on them: http://oregonfuelinjection.com/index.php?pid=56

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

I am with Weeks. Filter may not have caught 100% of the dirt. I would consider legal action against the fuel supplier for damage.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Really sounds like a failing crank position sensor to me.