It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CRD Owner, some questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello All, I have read the Noob guide and am working my way through it.

Just picked up a 2006 CRD Limited for my daughter, she loves it. I am going to make some investments from reading this forum to make the rig more reliable for her. Ordered GDE ECO tune already and have a big order ready to go at ID Parts.

The Jeep has 94,000 on it, and is in really clean condition, FO traded it in and we got it off a local lot, so I dont have a lot of records on how it was maintained.

First question for the forum is: Does anyone know where I can order a battery box for it online? and is there anything more sturdy than the stock plastic battery holder? (it was broke in 3x places, maybe the girl is wheeling already).

Thanks!

Mike

Post subject: Re: New CRD Owner, some questions
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:00 am 
LOST Addict

I don't know about any battery box that you could buy other than the try it comes with. you have about the same mileage as I do and would be due for a timing belt service soon. I'm going to guess the Idparts order includes that. As per the battery the stock tray has not given me any issues. maybe someone didn't know how to remove the battery proper. For the battery I would suggest the sears diehard platinum. I had an Advance auto parts Gold battery and wile it worked most of the time it could not handle starting the engine in extreme cold winter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sears Platinum P1

You can wait for it to go on sale and get it about $40-$50 cheaper but it's worth it's cost at retail.

As far as the tray, I believe there is a tray difference between the 2005 and 2006 as I think the 2005 version has a temperature sensor under it or maybe that's the 2006, but I know they're different in that aspect.

I have not ever heard of any company making an aftermarket tray specifically for ours, in fact yours is the first issue I've heard like it.

Let us know if you find something.

Good luck and enjoy! If your mechanic needs any tips or hints on the TB job, come here for info.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Battery - Sears P! is good but in fact any quality Group 34 battery with at least 700 CCA (stock but 800 us better) will do just fine. AGM is preferred to older standard lead/acid. OEM battery was Group 34R (reversed +- terminals but in most cases just install the battery backwards and the cables will fit with maybe a slight bit of effort to get the - one on). Folks shy away from today's Optima RedTop due to lower production quality and poor warranty. FYI some places will look in the "book" and claim only an OEM battery will do, they are either lying or incompetent but either way may refuse to sell or install. If so move on buy and install your self.

Battery tray. The 05 parts manual lists 55360639AA, 4609365AC, and 55360654AA and the 06 is the same except lacking 4609365AC and the other 2 are suffix AB which means a minor non-substative change. In any case there is no battery temp sensor on the 05 CRD, FSM and parts fiche notwithstanding, I've looked. A decent DCJ parts person can get you the correct PN.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the responses. I do have timing belt on order as well.

Found the battery tray off the P/N's posted here and have one on order. The thing was broken in 3x places.

On the gear lube for front / rear ends, do I need the friction modifier? I am not sure how to tell if my differentials are limited slip type or not?

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

The three local '05s I have worked on all had battery tray sensors.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Weeks that's interesting since my current 05 does not, don't know about my original 05 that got rear ended by a dump truck.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:53 am 
LOST Addict

I also have a sensor on the batt tray on my 05. Maybe who hasn't, did it fell off? It's secured under the tray on a bolt that also holds the tray in place.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

All the 05's I've worked on had one.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 pm 
LOST Addict

I dont think the Sears platinum is available anymore. It has not been on the site for a while.

Edit: The Marine version of the platinum is still shown.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 pm 
LOST Member

chuck27 wrote:
Found the battery tray off the P/N's posted here and have one on order. The thing was broken in 3x places.

Mine's been broken for years, I've never bothered to replace it. I took it out to install my lift and I just put the pieces back in.

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

chuck27 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I do have timing belt on order as well.

On the gear lube for front / rear ends, do I need the friction modifier? I am not sure how to tell if my differentials are limited slip type or not?

Mike

the rear will need the friction modifier, CRDs have a LSD or something in the back, front just needs oil, dyno, not synthetic in both. go to tech section for write up or youtube has some videos if unfamiliar with the job

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Greenwing7 wrote:
the rear will need the friction modifier, CRDs have a LSD or something in the back, front just needs oil, dyno, not synthetic in both. go to tech section for write up or youtube has some videos if unfamiliar with the job

no.. not all CRDs have limited slip (mine doesn't). You can google for various tests to spin the wheels in gravel, with the wheels up on jack-stands, etc. There are also supposed to be differences in the ID tag on the diff case at build time, but they're hard to read unless you have a really clean diff. The best way (and probably safest) on an unmodified vehicle is to call or stop by a local dealer and ask them to run the VIN for you. From the last few digits, they should be able to pull the driveline options that it was built with.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:06 am 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:
Weeks that's interesting since my current 05 does not, don't know about my original 05 that got rear ended by a dump truck.

Sensor is outlined in the green square:

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Isn't the sensor under the tray, I mean separate, as a stand alone unit? I don't remember since I took mine out, I don't use it anyways since I went with dual batteries in the back.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
IIRC, that is a battery temperature sensor. I never bothered with mine after the tray broke. I don't even remember if my 05 had one, but I never got a code from having a battery tray made of WOOD in there.

Go with what works to hold the battery in. If you go off-roading (and Queens Blvd counts!) then you may want to get something fairly hefty to hold the battery down.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.