It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lost Brakes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi,
Pax side flexible brake hose to caliper burst leaving me with very little brake capacity left! I have never had a brake hose break on any of my 29 other vehicles I have owned. I am replacing all brake hoses this weekend. Line failed at where it was crimped to metal line and there was signs of the hose having a "bubble" in outer layer before it burst.

Please check your lines! 06 CRD 140k miles

Post subject: Re: Lost Brakes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rare on any vehicle but not unheard of.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:34 am 
LOST Member

I had it happen on a Ford pick-up. I was lucky the pedal hit the floor at the off-ramp. I geared down and slowly approached a very busy intersection.

If it had happened just a half mile down the road, someone may well have died.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:22 am 
LOST Newbie

front brake line wore a hole into it on mine
05 CRD 130k

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:41 am 
LOST Junkie

Ok replaced right front brake line and did brake job while I was there. Driver's side front brake line had a bubble in it and was also replaced. Rear pax side brake hose also had a big bubble in it too!

Scary! Please check your lines!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow 29 vehicles.. :wink:

Did you happen to get a picture of the fail(ed/ing) lines? It would be good to have for reference. I've changed out lines before, but it was always preemptive, never after one actually burst. It would be good to know what to look for.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:12 am 
LOST Junkie

Inner liner ruptured causing a bubble on the area. The bubble split on one line but not yet on others. My lines are in trash can already but links shows what a bubble/bulge looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2yu56Z3WZI
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/images/ ... e_hose.jpg

New lines are cheap from rockauto.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I experienced a similar failure on Monday, front right brake hose split/popped leaving very little braking power. Fortunately I was very close (~1km) to home and could limp home without incident.

The split was up near the square block which attaches to body, but on the 'inside' and therefore hidden from view. I can't say whether there was a budge/bubble for a while, but if there was it's quite likely it would have been missed during an inspection.

More photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24244464@ ... 130790700/

The jeep is a 2006 Liberty CRD with 214,000km. Part of me wonders whether this is a 'one off' or something more systematic, as this is not something I'd expect to see on a 8 year old vehicle. I'd echo the call for people to check their hoses...
Simon.

PS. I changed both front hoses and checked the back (which look fine). Will do rear hoses next time I do the pads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:23 pm 
LOST Member

Happened to me on a Nissan Pulsar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:34 pm 
LOST Member

My front brake line rust thru on my CRD 6 weeks ago. Lost brakes all together. Worst part it was hidden under the rubber line protector. So you can't even see it.

You only love it if you change it!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Happened to me on a 16 ton RV - front brake line failed in the same way.

I need to actually fix that one of these days, the RV doesn't drive much which is why it hasn't been fixed yet. Limped it back to the RV park by pouring fluid into it.

Certainly scary in any vehicle, but think about a 32k lb fiberglass box, with fading braking power - There wasn't any light or warning to speak of either.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:31 am 
LOST Addict

I think this thread inspired me to pick up some JBA SS brakes hoses for when i do my brakes coming up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:46 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
I think this thread inspired me to pick up some JBA SS brakes hoses for when i do my brakes coming up.

Weeks has some on stock, both stock size or lifted.

Edit: sorry, he has Goodridge, the braided ones. But that just reminded me I forgot to order them a while ago, lol.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:39 am 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Edit: sorry, he has Goodridge, the braided ones. But that just reminded me I forgot to order them a while ago, lol.

Thanks for the heads up, I would like to support him but it looks like they may only be for the 02-05 Libs with the 3 brake lines. the '06's have ESP and 2 rear brake lines so that may not work. I shot him an email to see and also ask about lifting with those lines.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:44 am 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
thermorex wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Thanks for the heads up, I would like to support him but it looks like they may only be for the 02-05 Libs with the 3 brake lines. the '06's have ESP and 2 rear brake lines so that may not work. I shot him an email to see and also ask about lifting with those lines.

I ordered them already and they should be delivered on this Tuesday. I'll post some pics to clarify any questions. I also have 2 break hoses on my 05 on the rear axle, and I guess all kj have them as long as they have disk brakes. I'll post pics in few days.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:55 am 
LOST Addict

He just responded and confirmed that its 3 lines and fits an '06. This makes no sense to me though because jba has a separate kit for'06-'07's which have a 4th line. My understanding was that esp equipped jeeps had independent control of all 4 wheels and thus 4 separate brake lines.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I think it has 2 lines for the front and the 3rd is the rear line that goes from the brake line to rear axle. I think a full set for us would have 5 hoses.

I'm pretty sure we may be able to retrofit some braided steel lines for the rear wheels, some front shorter ones that could be a bit longer for rear but I think we can tie them somehow to prevent them getting tangled.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I may be misunderstanding the application here, but I read the original posting as the hose that actually connects to the caliper from the axle / wheel well part of the body. Every car would have to have 4 of these.

That is the hose that I had blister and fail on my RV, and what I have replaced prior-to-failure on my grand cherokee.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

So far I've had 3 out of 4 brake lines need replacing on my 06 Liberty. I have never had to replace a brake line before and am very disappointed. I have a 23 year old convertible and it has original brake lines. Why can't Jeep get it right?

When I hit 200k, I'll replace them again to be safe. I was lucky that my brake line failed after I was finished offroading. If it had done it 60 minutes earlier, I may not be here today.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I think there is no rear caliper brake line because the pressure in those hoses is not as high as the front ones and the single axle rear one. Maybe is also an economic decision to keep the set more appealing than having 5 hoses?