It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slight oil overfill?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:15 am 
LOST Newbie

So, I changed my oil today and had a surprise. I did my first couple oil changes and then last two I took it to a quick change oil station. Last time I took it in there they told me the plug was stripped and they didn't want to touch it. This was annoying since they did the last couple changes. I pointed this out, but they didn't want to hear it. I bought a fumoto valve and figured I'd just install it and never deal with this again. When I crawled under today I found that they had put a completely different plug in sometime in the last couple changes. This one is round and has a lip down the center. I undid it with pliers and found that it also has a bolt that seems to attach to some crossmember inside the oil pan. I couldn't get it to completely release and I didn't want to damage the oil pan. I didn't see any weeping around the plug, so I'm not sure why they felt it was stripped. Anyway, i drained the oil, replaced the filter and refilled. I hate the dipstick on this thing. With clean oil it's hard to see an accurate read. As far as I can see I may have slightly over filled. It seems to be even with the top of the max letters, not the top of the line. Should I drain a little out? I'm kind of concerned about this drain plug and the "stripped" diagnosis they gave me. Any thoughts?

thanks!

Post subject: Re: Slight oil overfill?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, it depends on how much more oil you put in.

If you poured a little over the mark then I wouldn't worry, but if your talking about a quart or 2 over then you need to drain it and pour in the correct amount, it's in the manual.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If it is just slight overfill, it will suck it down the CCV and burn it off in no time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flman wrote:
If it is just slight overfill, it will suck it down the CCV and burn it off in no time.

Yep. The excess will more readily atomize in the crank-case gasses and likely escape through the CCV. If you have a catch-can/filter/EHM mod, keep an eye out for more output. You'll likely see some over the next week or so with regular driving.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Comments:
1) their "fix" was a cheap booty quicky lube one that's modestly common just Google "oil plug toggle bolt". Take home is almost certainly they stripped the threads, probably by reinstalling the OEM plug without the gasket, and rather than fix it right they stuck this piece of junk on there. If you play around a bit during a future oil change you can work the toggle out of the pan and then go with an oversize Fumoto valve.
2) excess oil will likely blow out thru the CCV/intercooler. FYI full fill regardless of dipstick reading is ca. 6.3qts with the stock size oil filter and 7qts with oversize. Dipstick accuracy is questionable so next time to a full fill by measure; drive a bit to fill the filter; let sit at least 5 minutes on level surface; check actual dipstick level.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:32 am 
LOST Junkie

If you feel you overfilled it judging by being over the max line on the dip stick, then you most likely REALLY overfilled it.

I posted on it way back in or so, but there is actiually a service note in Chryslers system that the CRD has a dipstick that is not accurate. Alway fill by quantity (the crd is 6.4qts,), Take a look at what the dipstick is showing and scratch it to show the proper fiull level. On my CRD that is about 1/16th above the fill mark and well away from teh full mark. If I fill it to full (which my dealer did in the early days and why I ended up seeing the note) it 'eats the oil rather quickly. In the fashion described by papaindigo above. We chased a oil leak/excessive burn off until Chrysler told the dealer, once filled to the correct level, the consumption stopped.

BTW, I would bet $25 that the quick change place also wasn't using the correct oil for the CRD. I would be VERY careful about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Agreed on the warning... Honestly, with a fumoto (or other drain or standard plug if you're careful) and a simple catch container, a plastic funnel, and a trimmed plastic milk jug to surround the oil filter while you unscrew it, a DIY oil change can be done in 10-15 minutes, faster if you're really efficient about it. There is NO way a quick-change place can use the proper filters and oil, pay their employees, and charge you $25 without it being a loss-leader. The proper materials for this engine are simply not that cheap, even in bulk. They are cutting corners somewhere and it's either the materials or the staff, both of which can easily to damage to your CRD...

Lots of mail-order and brick/mortar stores carry oil and filters that meet the OEM specs or better at good prices. You just have to plan a little and order them.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for info, everyone. By my calculations based on how much is left in my oil jugs I overfilled by about 1/2 - 2/3 quart. So, I guess I'll just let this burn off if it doesn't sound dangerous. My only concern about draining a little out is I am unfamiliar with this weird drain plug they put in and I'm hesitant to loosen it again for fear I'll create a leaking problem I don't currently have. The lesson has been learned, though. From hear on out I'll do all my own changes and I'll install my fumoto valve at the next changing. Thanks for the input! It's interesting that Chrysler had a service note about their dipsticks being inaccurate. What is up with that? I will take your advice and measure it out properly next time and mark the dipstick.