It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need to replace carpet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:28 am 
LOST Newbie

So, pretty bummed out about what happened. I finally got around to recycling my used oil for the CRD, had about 6 jugs, 2 of which weren't in a box, but I braced them pretty well in the trunk. Well, not a good idea, they ended up tipping a bit and one of them leaked pretty bad even though the cap was completely on. Used Diesel oil ran down the back of the rear seat, around the side, the seat cushion, and down on the carpet of the trunk and passenger right foot area. I know I will never allow anything like this to happen again, but after several hours of trying to salvage at least the rear seat, I think my best option is to find a replacement from a junkyard. I may have some luck as I am in a bigger city (san diego) and found a few on craigslist, but I was thinking about getting new carpet for the car as well.

Has anybody bought any aftermarket carpet kits and if so can you comment on the quality? I see some options online but not sure how decent they are.
Is replacing the carpet a difficult task? Does the center console or any trim have to be removed or can it be done with only seat removal?
Finally, anyone have some grey cloth rear seats they wanna part out? :)

Post subject: Re: Need to replace carpet
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:25 am 
LOST Addict

I'd try a pressure wash with hot water for the carpet, if you can't find one you like...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:57 am 
LOST Addict

get a Husky liner cargo area mat like this once it's clean.....
http://www.huskyliners.com/product-detail/?category=18

That came with my Jeep from the Previous owner and I added the front mats. the cargo liner saved me a few times with smaller leaks of stuff like you had leak. my carpet is still new looking in the back too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've installed aftermarket carpet kits on several vehicles (not the CRD) over the years with no problem. Be careful when purchasing that you get a "full" length kit as some try to cut the price by selling what I'd call "short" length kits where the replacement carpet does not go as far under the seats as the original carpet does. You will have to remove the seats but you may be able to work the edges of the new carpet under the various panels without removing them. However, be advised that there is some fairly heavy padding/sound deadener material under the carpet that will need to be delt with. Unfortunately that material, IIRC, is not closed cell foam but rather open cell so it may have absorbed some of the oil.

I like thermorex's idea especially if you combine it with liberal application of a degreaser type product. The carpet is synthetic and should be relatively ease to clean once removed from the vehicle.

Do get a cargo liner though

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 am 
LOST Member

Don't let it dry.

I use brake cleaner and baby diapers to soak it up. Then a good washing with carpet cleaner or the like.

Saved me a few times. Problem with diesel oil is all the soot.