It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Source for factory front tow hooks/mounting plate?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:39 pm 
LOST Member

Well....seems simple enough....would like to install the OEM tow hooks on the front of my CRD. Unfortunately, looks like there are one or two mounting plates per side, as well as the tow hooks themselves, and of course the bolts/hardware. Looks to be several hundred dollars if I try to order new. I'm going to try car-part.com for junkyard stuff, first. Anybody have any additional ideas? It appears the CRD and gasser use the same parts, but will have to try to verify....anybody have any they want to sell??

RRO Rockfather Deluxe Lift (OME/KYB GR-2/RRO)
GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
Updated Litens Serpentine Tensioner
European Graf Water Pump
Nitro Rear Diff Cover w/Lubelocker Gasket

Post subject: Re: Source for factory front tow hooks/mounting plate?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm going to install OEM tow hooks also, and it's as simple as shopping ebay :wink:
OEM stock $113.75 with free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-SET-OF- ... ce&vxp=mtr

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:22 am 
LOST Newbie

I put on a front hitch for less money than the factory tow hooks. much more versatile, too.

sold...05 CRD Limited, GDE Hot Tune, Euro TC, ARP Head Studs, Intake Elbow Kit, Samco CAC Hoses, Etecno 7v glow plugs, OME 790 and Bilstein 916 up front, OME 948 and OME N132L rear, JBA Upper A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs on Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff Cover, JCR Stage 2 Rock Rails, Skid Row Skid Plates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:45 am 
LOST Addict

I got mine from Ebay several years ago

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:50 am 
LOST Addict

OneCheekRider wrote:
I put on a front hitch for less money than the factory tow hooks. much more versatile, too.

If it's not much trouble, could you pls take a pic with the front hitch you installed? I want to get one, and I'd like to have it as much towards the bumper level as possible, this may require me to build one, since so far I haven't seen one like that.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:28 am 
LOST Newbie

I have a cut bumper and I don't think the curt is too low. That said, if I could've fabricated my own closer to the frame for the same money, I would have.

Here's the best pic I have at the moment:
Note - I do have a hitch insert in

sold...05 CRD Limited, GDE Hot Tune, Euro TC, ARP Head Studs, Intake Elbow Kit, Samco CAC Hoses, Etecno 7v glow plugs, OME 790 and Bilstein 916 up front, OME 948 and OME N132L rear, JBA Upper A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs on Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff Cover, JCR Stage 2 Rock Rails, Skid Row Skid Plates

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

thermorex wrote:
OneCheekRider wrote:

If it's not much trouble, could you pls take a pic with the front hitch you installed? I want to get one, and I'd like to have it as much towards the bumper level as possible, this may require me to build one, since so far I haven't seen one like that.

You want one for a TJ (Curt #31408). Only requires a small amount of trimming to the bumper (as pictured below). You also need to drill two holes for the rearward mounts, but that's it. Takes maybe an hour to install. It sits up way higher than the one actually made for the KJ.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:08 pm 
LOST Addict

OneCheekRider wrote:
I have a cut bumper and I don't think the curt is too low. That said, if I could've fabricated my own closer to the frame for the same money, I would have.

Here's the best pic I have at the moment:
Note - I do have a hitch insert in

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it. It seems weeks save the day with his suggestion.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:52 pm 
LOST Addict

weeks101 wrote:
thermorex wrote:
OneCheekRider wrote:

You want one for a TJ (Curt #31408). Only requires a small amount of trimming to the bumper (as pictured below). You also need to drill two holes for the rearward mounts, but that's it. Takes maybe an hour to install. It sits up way higher than the one actually made for the KJ.

Thanks a lot Seth, I'll get that, it seems is very close to the bumper, I like the way it looks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 pm 
LOST Member

Cool...thanks for the ideas, guys. I wasn't sure about the tow hooks for a little over a hundred on ebay and amazon, because in the service manual, it refers to an additional "stud plate" on the top that appeared to be used in conjunction with the tow hook (which is already mounted itself to a plate). I think I'll go with just the tow hooks, as opposed to the receiver, to save 25 pounds on the front end. I'm already planning on a thicker skid up front, and I want to keep the weight of this rig to a minimum, despite the versatility of the receiver. I have no plans for towing the Jeep, using a winch, etc. I'm going to buy an Amsteel version of the More Power Puller for when I get into trouble and get stuck. It's kind of cool, I think:

http://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp

I called the Jeep stealership, and they tell me it's $120 for the tow hook kit. So, I guess I'll just do that, and if it turns out I need more mounting stuff, I'll just give 'em a hard time about it and say "you told me it was $120"...

RRO Rockfather Deluxe Lift (OME/KYB GR-2/RRO)
GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
Updated Litens Serpentine Tensioner
European Graf Water Pump
Nitro Rear Diff Cover w/Lubelocker Gasket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:22 am 
LOST Member

Great info. With the curt 31408 do we think that mount would be worthy enough for a receiver mounted winch??

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:56 am 
LOST Junkie

barley00 wrote:
Great info. With the curt 31408 do we think that mount would be worthy enough for a receiver mounted winch??

Without a doubt. Just be sure to use Grade 8 or better hardware.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:10 pm 
LOST Member

Don't forget you will need to source four matching nuts, and two extra flat washers that are not included in the kit.

the sandwich should go as follows top to bottom.
forward bolt
nut
flat washer
body
hitch
flat washer
bolt

and

rear bolt
nut
flat washer
body
flat washer
hitch
flat washer
bolt

The extra flat washer between the hitch and body for the rear bolt will fill the gap that is formed by the extra layer of sheet metal forward of the hole (you will see when you are in there). Then get yourself a nice receiver shackle, they are much safer than any hook. Curt makes a nice and heavy license plate mount that plugs into the receiver when not in use... that's what Seth has done.

To date I have now installed two of the TJ hitches on KJs, and used one with a kenitic recovery line to recover myself out of some floor-pan deep mud a few weeks ago. There is a reason I still have the KJ front hitch off that truck in my driveway... I advise against it's use over the TJ model.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:36 am 
LOST Member

Well then I reckon this is the cheapest and most versatile winch option on the KJ, or any vehicle for that matter. Winch when needed, cooler and rod rack when not! Perfect timing for the fall run! Thanks for the info! Gotta love forums!

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:49 pm 
LOST Member

I was running a receiver winch plate on the XJ in my avatar. I had it wired from the battery, through a PAC500 relay, through an Andersen plug, then to the winch. This would allow me to simply unplug the power/ground leads to the winch, pop the pin, and stow in the garage or secured in the back of the truck when not in use. The PAC500 was wired to close the relay when I would engage my high idle switch.

When I changed to the RL front bumper, I had the front receiver added for the reasons you mentioned above. I am still running the Andersen plug, but now I have the wiring a little more complex.

Since my truck has no sunroof, I am running the OEM sunroof switch to operate my winch. Pressing the "vent" button closes a solid state latching relay, that closes the PAC500 relay, energizing the (+) lead to the contactor box via the Andersen plug. The "close" rocker switch winches out, and "open" winches in. Pressing the "vent" again opens the latching relay, which opens the PAC500 relay, making the line to the bumper dead. Four easily accessible bolts, one Andersen plug, and one 3-pin plug, and the winch comes off when I don't need it on the truck. Takes about 5min to remove/install the winch and have it fully functional.