It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daytime running lights.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Thought I had a bad headlight bulb...Switched it out. Same thing. Drivers side daytime is out. Also no High beam on that side which makes sense kind of as daytime running lights are a reduced power high beam from what I have read. OK...Well must be a fuse...Nope all good. Meter reads 12 volts on high and low beam at the light connection. Well then it's gotta be the day time running light relay/module of course. It's not delivering enough power. Ordered one and... No change. Thoughts? Other than a bad brand new relay I am stumped. considering going to see a buddy with a gasser lib and swapping relays to see if my new one is D.O.A. I am busy over the weekend but will try to check for any replies/suggestions. replies. Thanks all!!

PS if your darling daughter ( or anyone else) asks you to replace a headlight bulb on an 09 Malibu....Go to the dentist. It will be more fun.

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km
New timing belt water pump ( ID Parts) 169,000 km

Post subject: Re: Daytime running lights.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:16 am 
LOST Junkie

laplaya wrote:
Thought I had a bad headlight bulb...Switched it out. Same thing. Drivers side daytime is out. Also no High beam on that side which makes sense kind of as daytime running lights are a reduced power high beam from what I have read. OK...Well must be a fuse...Nope all good. Meter reads 12 volts on high and low beam at the light connection. Well then it's gotta be the day time running light relay/module of course. It's not delivering enough power. Ordered one and... No change. Thoughts? Other than a bad brand new relay I am stumped. considering going to see a buddy with a gasser lib and swapping relays to see if my new one is D.O.A. I am busy over the weekend but will try to check for any replies/suggestions. replies. Thanks all!!

PS if your darling daughter ( or anyone else) asks you to replace a headlight bulb on an 09 Malibu....Go to the dentist. It will be more fun.

If you say you are getting +12 volts on the high and the low beam but still no light did you measure across the high and low points on the bulb connector with reference to the chassis or with reference to the ground contact on the bulb connector?
In other words are you sure the bulb holder is not missing its ground?

Could be one of the other relays on the Junction Block which is where your Daytime relay is plugged....high beam relay is on the bottom of that panel and low beam relay is on the rear of that panel. You can download the 2006 Service Manual here...includes circuit diagrams, explains how daytime running lights work in Canada and shows you the locating of the other relays on the front and rear of that fuse/relay panel (Junction Block) :wink:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the reply Bill. I did in fact use a chassis ground when I checked for power. I also should have mentioned that low beam works fine. I had a quick look at the wiring diagram, this does not look like fun. I am working long hours all weekend ( long weekend here)and won't get a chance to do much more than think about things until Tuesday.

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll cheerfully admit I'm not an automotive electric system person but for what it's worth let's step thru the issue.
1. as I understand it the passenger side headlight works fine (running light, regular high beam, and regular low beam) while driver side headlight has regular low beam but no running light or regular high beam. The Canadian headlights are a) high beam filament energized all the time at low voltage via the BCM and the running light relay which is the same as the high beam relay and b) turned on a full voltage by the light switch via the BCM and, as appropriate, the running light/high beam and low beam relays. In your case replacing the driver side bulb and the running light/high beam relay did not fix the problem.
2. it's possible but unlikely a) the replacement bulb is bad but it's easy enough to check both the old and new bulb for continuity or b) the replacement relay is bad (not sure how to check that on a solid state relay but I strongly doubt it's a relay issue as the passenger side running light works fine)
3. I'm not smart enough to check the wiring diagram, assuming it's correct, but I suspect when the key is in the run position and the light switch is off that the BCM "tells" the running light/high beam relay to energize BOTH high beam elements at low voltage. I see no way the BCM could or should distinguish between driver and passenger side high beam elements so I assume the BCM is sending the proper "instructions" as the passenger side headlight works fine.
4. if the above is correct the BCM and relay are fine and, logically (I hope) the problem is a wiring issue between the relay and the driver side bulb or between that bulb and ground.

Best I can do. Good luck.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here are the values I am seeing. I measured using the light plugs own ground, which I checked to vehicle ground for continuity.
With the key off and no lights on I am reading 9 volts on the hi beam part of the plug on both drivers and passenger side. I tried plugging a bulb in and it does not light.

When running Passenger side reads 14 volts at the high beam plug and 0 volts at the low. Drivers side reads 13.5 volts at the hi and 0 volts lo.

With switch turned to low beam. On passenger side I get 10volts on the high beam and 15 on the low. Drivers side is Hi 0 volts low 14.0

When I pull the daytime running module the 9 volts with key off drops off to 0

Removal of the corresponding L/R high beam fuse makes the 9 volts key off drop to 0 as well.

With switch turned to high beam passenger side reads 14.5 volts at the hi beam and 0 volts low. Drivers side is 14.5 high and 0 volts at the low.
I looked at the harness and can see no visible damage. Does any part of the lighting system run behind the fuel filter and possibly become involved in that harness issue?

Suggestions are welcome. I am working again all weekend but will check in.
Thanks all!!

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:17 am 
LOST Junkie

laplaya wrote:
Here are the values I am seeing. I measured using the light plugs own ground, which I checked to vehicle ground for continuity.
With the key off and no lights on I am reading 9 volts on the hi beam part of the plug on both drivers and passenger side. I tried plugging a bulb in and it does not light.

When running Passenger side reads 14 volts at the high beam plug and 0 volts at the low. Drivers side reads 13.5 volts at the hi and 0 volts lo.

With switch turned to low beam. On passenger side I get 10volts on the high beam and 15 on the low. Drivers side is Hi 0 volts low 14.0

When I pull the daytime running module the 9 volts with key off drops off to 0

Removal of the corresponding L/R high beam fuse makes the 9 volts key off drop to 0 as well.

With switch turned to high beam passenger side reads 14.5 volts at the hi beam and 0 volts low. Drivers side is 14.5 high and 0 volts at the low.
I looked at the harness and can see no visible damage. Does any part of the lighting system run behind the fuel filter and possibly become involved in that harness issue?

Suggestions are welcome. I am working again all weekend but will check in.
Thanks all!!

I believe there is a good chance that the harness running behind the fuel filter could contain some of the wires involved here....this is, I think, how the voltages get from the Junction Block (internal fuse panel) to the lights themselves. You need to trace the wire back from the headlights by wire color and if those wires go into that harness then it would be worth removing the fuel filter bracket and have a good look in that area.

Our RHD CRDs here have a different wiring route to the LHD 2006 CRDs which have this harness problem. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I will try and follow the wiring back.

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finally caught up with this problem which was a poor connection on 1 wire in the large main plug on the drivers side below the headlight assembly. 8)
Thanks for the ideas on this everyone.

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km