It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CRD owner/member
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just wanted to say hello, my name is cody out of Peoria IL. just recently bought an 05 Liberty CRD with 148,000. read darn near eveything on this site and tore into the engine right away. the entire engine bay underneath the cover was covered in oil, oil everywhere lol. took out the enitre air box assembly only to find the hose to the turbo was of course completely sheared off. god knows how much gunk the turbo was pulling in, and for how long haha. pulled the entire CCV assembly apart (covered in oil) and degreased everything, and then pulled the MAP sensor. or course it too was CAKED in soot. all of this is nothing that several cans of chlorine free brake cleaner couldnt fix. i intend to start modding this baby up right away and see how far i can take her. appreciate all the great info on here and everyone's contributions.

-Cody

Post subject: Re: New CRD owner/member
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Welcome aboard!

Sounds like you already know what needs to be done.

It would appear that your CRD didn't have the most attentive owner in the past. Hopefully this was reflected in the price you paid.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

Welcome to the CRD family.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm pushing 250hp but I've gone through the entire top end. Still fiddling and tweaking to get things how I want em. At 148k and with that kind of maintenance I'd bet rockers need replaced along with a good head/ cover cleaning.
No one knows the limit of these motors yet, some have had failures at stock power, while I'm pushing almost 30lbs boost with oversized injectors and haven't had a single hiccup.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

welcome to the club. ive owned my crd for almost 6 months now and i would do the exhaust right away and get either a GDE eco or hot tune asap. and i made a cold air intake of sorts ill have to get pics up. i have the eco tune and with everything else i listed im getting 32mpg. im so happy i bought the crd when i saw it at the dealer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cody - welcome, read the NOOB guide and absolutely positively the first thing that's critical to do is confirm the status of the timing belt. If you have proof positive it was done at some point great but by proof positive I mean receipts not just oh yes it was done or some mechanic "looked" at it and it was ok. Absent proof positive get the job done immediately.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:43 pm 

Welcome aboard! Lots of things that need attention first, as Pap says, timing belt is number one if it has not been done. Next is get the CCV out of the intake pipe and do the EH mode, your engine will thank you for it. If you don't have to withstand emission inspections in your area, disable and plug the EGR valve off, do so ASAP. If you have to withstand emission tests, unplug the MAF sensor to disable the EGR between tests.
Other items to consider: Remove the CAT and replace with a straight piece of pipe and replace muffler with a free flowing muffler like a Flowmaster. There are instructions on this site on the hows to do all of the above. If you got questions, just ask, you will get answers... :SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you remove the CAT be sure to keep it in case of a future change to any vehicle inspection requirements you might become subject to or if you sell the vehicle. There have been a few cases of CAT removal being regretted due to such events. Alternatively there are apparently ways to "gut" the CAT that leave it visually intact.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Excellent, loving the great advice from you all. I got her buttoned back up this weekend with new air filter and brand new turbo pipe. she's driving great, but the turbo doesnt seem to spool as quickly now that it has to breath filtered air lol. foremost I believe that I'll be taking a sawzall to the exhaust and removing the Cat/Muffler and straight piping her from the flex coupling back. Just gonna have to figure out how to weld haha. as there are currently no emissions standards here in IL I'll most certainly be addressing the EGR in some form or another here shortly as well. the prior owner did keep a great record of all services performed with receipts including all brand new EGR and components (bummer) as well as timing from the dealer around 100k. so I think all should be decent for a while. for the record i picked her up for 5200$ with 148,000 miles which i believe was a pretty good deal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Cody,
there are emission standards in IL, Just not where you live or where I lived (grew up in springfield) but they are in Madison county for sure. Hopefully I'll see you around IL in your CRD.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:31 am 
LOST Newbie

I also just bought a 2005 liberty sport today with 90k. This is actually my second liberty. Funny the previous owner claims the exact same problem you had. a turbo oil link leaking, so I had it towed to my shop today and tomorrow ill see if thats all it is. . . . .cross your fingers. i paid 5500 for mine.