It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a bit of help pleeeeaaaaze
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi there, I need some help with my Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD LTD 2006 model

I have a siren like whistle everytime I accelerate. The faster I drive the louder the whistle (siren).
It comes from the turbo area. Took the waterbottle etc off to check the hoses. They are all fine.
What else can it be?
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Need a bit of help pleeeeaaaaze
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WillJ wrote:
Hi there, I need some help with my Jeep Cherokee 2.8 CRD LTD 2006 model

I have a siren like whistle everytime I accelerate. The faster I drive the louder the whistle (siren).
It comes from the turbo area. Took the waterbottle etc off to check the hoses. They are all fine.
What else can it be?
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks

It sounds leak a leak, maybe in the turbo housing itself. Exhaust or air side, anything is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Whistle from that area does imply an air leak before or after the turbo. My initial thought would be to pull the air filter box to turbo hose out and see if it's split on the bottom just in front of the turbo and while in the do the "feel" check on the turbo impeller should be no more that slight fore/aft play and only barely feelable side to side play.

Absent loss of power (little boost) and lots of black smoke I don't think the leak is after the turbo although that's not impossible but a whistle type leak on that side of the turbo implies a small leak which is not what you get in the hoses (FYI they have to come all the way off to adequately inspect) but rather more like a small intercooler leak or something in the FCV/intake area.

By the way you can normally hear a bit of turbo whistle at least I can when you first start up but it's not particularly loud

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you have a loss of power at the same time as the whine, it's probably one of the hoses. Are you SURE you inspected them really well. I had a leak a while back that I couldn't see until I flexed the hose around in my hands with water running through it.

You can also have someone rev the engine while you watch with a flashlight under the hood, (or bonnet :) ). You'll probably be able to pinpoint the location of the noise if you're looking at it and there will be a rush of air and possibly a little mist/steam where it's coming from (assuming it's a leak). If it's the turbo, you're more likely to hear something like metal scraping...so I hope it isn't that.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

does it sound like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YPUcDIPMUs

I found it to be the intake elbow needing tightening around the gasket (I had recently had the intake elbow kit installed).

As stated by others, follow the air hoses starting at the airbox and work your way through. Feel for turbo play while you're in that area. I coincidentally found my turbo inlet hose torn through my diagnosis.

sold...05 CRD Limited, GDE Hot Tune, Euro TC, ARP Head Studs, Intake Elbow Kit, Samco CAC Hoses, Etecno 7v glow plugs, OME 790 and Bilstein 916 up front, OME 948 and OME N132L rear, JBA Upper A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs on Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff Cover, JCR Stage 2 Rock Rails, Skid Row Skid Plates

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:11 pm 

A 3 foot piece of 3/4 PVC pipe makes an excellent listening stick or stethoscope device to locate noises. Simply put one end to your ear with your hand cupped around the end of it, and move the other end all over the engine listening for a particular noise.
Used this trick hundreds of times in the past to locate a mystery noise. Just remember NOT to stick the probe end into a moving part!!!! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:32 am 
LOST Junkie

yes is an air leak , but you need a smoke machine to find this leak , you can try to put a cigar smoke in the intake and see if you see the leak , but this trick not always work

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:35 am 
LOST Member

Failing having access to a smoke machine and given the fact you've not seen the fault after close in vehicle inspection it's seriously time to start considering removing the hoses, plugging the ends and taking them up to about 20 psi max whilst out of the vehicle. You can see the type of kit to do this on CAC hoses at Dieselsite.com. Some blokes, have in a pinch, checked with a puffer of talcum powder (baby powder) around any suspect pinhole breaches on the outside of the hose only of course. If you do this with her running at all PLEASE the watch hands and attachments.
Similar applies to smaller diameter hoses.
You may need to consider introducing low pressure air at the intake side of the CAC and also check the integrity of the heat exchanger.
Just make sure you can't over pressurise it....20 psi absolute max