It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Retiming
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yes see viewtopic.php?f=98&t=76222

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:05 pm 
LOST Member

This thread is very frightening to those of us who are not mechanics and own these things. I'm glad Geordi did my belt recently, and hope I don't own this thing long enough to see a HG leak.

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:
Quote:
What we speculate is that when the engine was timed, belt installed, with idlers, tensioner and cam gears torqued all together and then released. When what we should have done was leave the cam gears loose, install the timing belt. Apply tensioner to the belt, then torque the cam gears. We believe that this step was inadvertently skipped, forgotten, mis-understood, etc...

That's the ideal method although it can be skipped on a factory timed engine IMHO if and only if a) you mark and count the teeth between the cams and b) put witness makes between the cams; between each cam and the adjacent inner timing cover; on the injection pump pulley and the adjacent cover. That way you know all the teeth of the new belt are going into the exact same place as the factory belt.

I do miss keys in the cams and pulleys though

I have another question about this, since I hopefully have all the parts I need to finally start buttoning this thing back up.

My question, basically, is this: If I used this method, what is to keep the cams from turning as you torque down the gears?

I know that once the interference engages between the gear and the cam face, as long as the gears themselves are locked everything should stay in ome place. But it seems like beforehand that point, there is nothing to keep the cam from turning with the bolt other than friction unless you leave the pins in the cam holes.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Ok - small corrections here.

The cams STAY PINNED at all times. The belt is installed with the cam bolts inserted and threaded almost to finger tight - But LOOSE.

Once the belt is installed around all pulleys (and the crankshaft does NOT get moved during this process - bolt holes should be vertical and horizontal) and the tension is applied with tensioner and the tensioner is locked at 28 lbs...

NOW you tighten the camshaft bolts by using the 80 lb torque wrench and an appropriate counter-hold device. Either a bar or the factory clamp. I use a bar, and by holding both devices myself, I can ensure I can perfectly counter my own forces and the pulley doesn't move. No force is applied to the cam pins in this method.

Once both pulleys are locked, NOW remove the pins, and rotate the engine clockwise two full rotations, and the pins should thread right back in place. If you timed the fuel pump, it will not return to perfect alignment with the camshaft pins until rotation 6. This is correct.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

Geordi,

So the way I'm reading this, there is not enough torque on the camshafts themselves to worry about buggering the threads for the alignment tools and so forth, as long as I make sure that the cam gears themselves are locked when I really start torquing?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
greiswig wrote:
Geordi,

So the way I'm reading this, there is not enough torque on the camshafts themselves to worry about buggering the threads for the alignment tools and so forth, as long as I make sure that the cam gears themselves are locked when I really start torquing?

Yes... PROVIDED that the "locking" of the gears is held / maintained by YOUR ARMS and a sprocket-buster bar (search IDparts for 'sprocket buster') or the factory clamping device.

I am personally not a fan of the factory device, but I understand why some people would prefer to use that. I've done this WAY more than most (if not everyone) so it really isn't a big deal for me anymore. After the 35th timing job... I think I've got the hang of it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

Resurrecting this to ask a specific question:

geordi wrote:
(snip)There is NOT a factory torque spec for final torque - they are supposed to "yield" on installation, right? Instead, the process is to bring the bolts to some pre-torque number (which I believe is 80 lb-ft, but I am not certain) and then you are supposed to turn each bolt by 75 degrees... Because 90 degrees was too easy for the factory designers) and then turn some of the bolts 115 degrees, and then all of them again by another 75 degrees.

Yup, an initial torque followed by degrees. From the manual:

Quote:
a. Tighten all cylinder head bolts to 30 N.m (22 ft.lbs.) starting from the center bolts, following the cylinder head scheme and the following sequence: 3-2-1-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18. (Fig. 45).
b. Without loosening any bolts, starting from the center bolts, tighten each bolt an additional 75° in the following sequence: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. (Fig. 45).
c. Tighten the lateral cylinder head bolts an addi- tional 50° in the following sequence: 11-12-13-14-15- 16-17-18. (Fig. 45).
d. Finally tighten all bolts an additional 75° in the following sequence: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-11-12-13-14- 15-16-17-18. (Fig. 45).

geordi wrote:
So what is the final torque? The correct answer: Who the F knows. HOWEVER - what we do know is that bolts directly bordering the cylinders should all have the same torque, and that should be 130 lb-ft IF you are using ARP studs, and the bolts on the outer edges of the head should be set to 120 or 125 lb-ft.

So for the moment leaving aside my concerns about tightening the head down onto the cylinder liners, where did these new torque numbers come from? Did someone compare thread pitches and calculate these as equivalent to the final 22 lb/ft. + x degrees for the stock bolts?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Papaindigo Thanks for the pedal info worked like a charm.

SFHLibertyCRD I am not a mechanic however I am willing and can turn wrenches. Both me and my father are in to these jeeps for the long haul. This was my first and second attempt at the timing belt. The belt on my jeep is due in three thousand miles so ill be doing my third real soon. Getting intimately familiar with them.

greiswig geordi is 100% on point. The cams must remain pinned (engine timed) and cam gears in place NOT TORQUED. Once belt is in place with the tension applied the fuel pump should be aligned. Then u torque the cam gears to the 80lb. Of course with the correct counter pressure, or appropriate cam gear holding tool.

On a side note my dads been driving the jeep every day until this past Friday. Stopped running left him stranded on the side of the road. Codes are fuel pressure rail related (P0087,P0093,P1613). Jeep has the newer fuel filter assembly. Bleed the assembly it holds pressure for a short moment and then you prime it again over and over and always looses the pressure. The assembly showed signs of fuel it's wet and smells of diesel. Anyway we think its the assembly but not sure. Fuel filter needs replacing so ordering the assembly w/ filter see what happens. What do you guys think?

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:25 pm 
LOST Addict

You'd have to dig through the massive ARP head stud thread - it is something like 20 pages deep - but that research was done and done well by several members here. I contributed, but the bulk of the work was done by Larry - LMWatbullrun and RacerTracer. They worked with ARP to match up the compressive strength from the factory setup with an application of their studs that would match.

As I remember it, the compression from the factory bolts ends up with about 17,000 psi of force, and the studs can achieve the same 17,000 with a torque of 120 lbs. Their research suggested that if the torque number was 130, then 19,000 was possible, and 21,000 at 140 lbs of torque. Larry discovered localized yielding of the aluminum head at 140 however, and the glow plug hole deformed slightly. Obviously that is the outer limit that should not be attempted. His engineering is superb, backed up by the experimentation on his own engine, and further confirmed by every one of the 8 or so head jobs that I have done since then. Not one has leaked.

The outer rows do not need as strong a compression, which is why they are left with the 120 lb-ft rating, and the center rows that directly border the cylinders are raised to 130.

The factory bolts DO NOT perform predictably, which is why I cannot ever suggest to anyone to use them. One member has had his SNAP OFF in a hole during installation (this was a NEW bolt not a re-use) while far below 130lb-ft... While I personally took a USED bolt of my own and attempted to determine a failure point... The flutes on the head rounded at 250 lb-ft, the shaft never failed or yielded. Another member had his bolt round off while attempting removal, with less than 200 lb-ft being applied.

ARP studs are supremely engineered, and their performance is predictable and consistent. Use them, you will love them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ok...I thought I'd been through that entire thread twice before I even bought the studs, but I didn't remember seeing the justification for those torque values.

As for why the inner rows get more torque...I am still really puzzled by the design. The head presumably starts to hit those liners at some point as the gasket is "crushed," but there can't be too much crush-ability; just the little embossments and maybe that film of Viton or whatever it is. So the different torque requirements, to me, seem to be trying to avoid bowing the head along its long axis because of the liners hitting the head in the center. On my Unimog, every bolt has the same torque goal, no matter how close it is to the cylinder.

Bottom line, this looks like a finicky design to me that could be messed up relatively easily. Probably not for the average STHM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

So being inherently skeptical as I am, and wanting to get more of the straight scoop, I called a friendly guy at ARP and talked to him quite awhile. My dad was a metallurgist, so I grew up getting edumacated about things like yield, malleability, elasticity, etc.

Anyway, the guy made pretty persuasive arguments. His bottom line was that he would tighten every fastener the same (inner row and outer row), in the following stages: 40, then 85, then 125 lb/ft. And no, he says you're NOT supposed to loosen each one between stages.

Why three stages? - their recommended number of stages, because doing many more than that and you risk entering a situation where each stage is actually not adding as much as you think, because it is getting closer and closer to the margin of error and sensitivity of the wrench.

Why no more than 125 lb/ft? - because that is the maximum torque that should be put on those studs, no matter what the application. It puts the fastener at the right point in its elasticity range, so the clamping force and dimension will be unaffected by yield (which might happen if you go farther than that) and will still be plenty to make a good seal as long as your gasket is good and both surfaces are good. In other words, if you start to make the stud yield, you will end up with net less clamping force for more torque value...the opposite of what you want.

As for why the outer rows have a different torque spec than the inner rows in the manual, he doesn't have any idea. He pointed out that they make the same recommendation for Cummins, etc. that use the same diameter studs and MLS gaskets.

I also asked him about the difference in clamping force for a given torque value given a different thread pitch. He reluctantly agreed, but said that it was little enough difference that I shouldn't worry about it, and in this case it has been taken into account in the 125 lb/ft. spec they recommend.

So that's what ARP says about it. He also admitted that they have not bought one of these engines to test, but indicated that doing so would principally tell them whether the threads in the block were at risk before that 125lb/ft. limit was reached.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:17 am 
LOST Junkie

greiswig wrote:
So being inherently skeptical as I am, and wanting to get more of the straight scoop, I called a friendly guy at ARP and talked to him quite awhile. My dad was a metallurgist, so I grew up getting edumacated about things like yield, malleability, elasticity, etc.

Anyway, the guy made pretty persuasive arguments. His bottom line was that he would tighten every fastener the same (inner row and outer row), in the following stages: 40, then 85, then 125 lb/ft. And no, he says you're NOT supposed to loosen each one between stages.

Why three stages? - their recommended number of stages, because doing many more than that and you risk entering a situation where each stage is actually not adding as much as you think, because it is getting closer and closer to the margin of error and sensitivity of the wrench.

Why no more than 125 lb/ft? - because that is the maximum torque that should be put on those studs, no matter what the application. It puts the fastener at the right point in its elasticity range, so the clamping force and dimension will be unaffected by yield (which might happen if you go farther than that) and will still be plenty to make a good seal as long as your gasket is good and both surfaces are good. In other words, if you start to make the stud yield, you will end up with net less clamping force for more torque value...the opposite of what you want.

As for why the outer rows have a different torque spec than the inner rows in the manual, he doesn't have any idea. He pointed out that they make the same recommendation for Cummins, etc. that use the same diameter studs and MLS gaskets.

I also asked him about the difference in clamping force for a given torque value given a different thread pitch. He reluctantly agreed, but said that it was little enough difference that I shouldn't worry about it, and in this case it has been taken into account in the 125 lb/ft. spec they recommend.

So that's what ARP says about it. He also admitted that they have not bought one of these engines to test, but indicated that doing so would principally tell them whether the threads in the block were at risk before that 125lb/ft. limit was reached.

If you read the ARP literature or do the math, 125 FPT is 75% of the yield torque for that stud, using the ARP lube on the threads and the nut/washer assembly. Max torque is 165 FPT torque, but you will cause general yielding of the head before you get to that point. I did not, do not and would not recommend loosening the nuts between torque steps, and if you re-read the thread, you'll see that I recommended multiple torque steps, too, but I have a very good torque wrench.

As regards the slightly lower torque for the outside studs, the reason is that the outer rows of bolts/studs are at the outside edge of the head and block, and the head is prone to crushing if you exceed that torque value. I know this because I did it. As regards the engagement depth in the block, I checked that and there was plenty for typical CI material, although I did not do a finite element stress analysis of the block, lacking the time, interest or software to do so; my assumption was that as the studs slightly exceed the factory bolt engagement, and since the studs replicate what a real TTY bolt ought to do, then it was a reasonable assumption that this install would not cause the block to yield. Especially since the studs cause less stress on the block when installed and they distribute the force across the block threads more evenly.

Read the thread, make your own calculations and do what seems best to you. I can say that I have run this now for about 14k miles with no problem at all, and so have a number of others. My considered judgement is that the use of studs significantly reduces the chances of a warped head, loose "TTY" bolts, or a HG leak, but there are lots of CRDs that don't have them. Yet. My guess is that in 5 years, most CRDs still running will have studs installed. The factory installed bolts are not conducive to engine longevity.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:08 am 
LOST Addict

Loosening between stages was suggested by ARP themselves in the directions and via contact with them, to get an accurate seating within the threads. If this is no longer their process, fabulous - I hated the extra work anyway. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:58 am 
LOST Junkie

I appreciate the level of detail here. Thanks for taking the time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
Loosening between stages was suggested by ARP themselves in the directions and via contact with them, to get an accurate seating within the threads. If this is no longer their process, fabulous - I hated the extra work anyway. :lol:

Yeah, there was a lot of debate about that, but once they came up with the new super moly ARP lube, the tests showed that there was no significant difference in clamping force at final torque with the ARP lube. If you are not using their lube, then the idea of burnishing the threads might have some merit, but I'll pay the two bucks and use the lube. It comes with the kits anyway.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey everyone. My dads jeep quit on him a few days back. Figured it was a fuel problem due to the fuel primer pump not holding pressure. Codes were p0087, p0093, p1614. All fuel pressure related. The fuel filter was overdue, ordered that with the newer head assembly and installed it today. The problem continues. Fires, but doesn't start. Any help/ideas would be appreciated. Tony

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:13 pm 
LOST Addict

P1614???
Isn't that an immobilizer or anti theft code?

If so, there should be a little red light on the dash.
The engine will crank and crank but never start.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Flash 7210 thanks for the quick reply. You could be right P1614 might be an anti theft-immobilization code not clear now on what that really means at this point. My dad went out and looked at his manual found what that light looks like. He turned the key on (self test) all dash lights turn on including that one shortly after turns right off along with the other dash lights.

Got a rag with gas, and put it in the air inbox. Jeep fires but doesn't start. The other two remaining codes appear as fuel pressure problem. Tony

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey everyone I have more information to share with you to see if any can help. Completely separated the fuel rail feed line and cranked the the engine (no start) a small stream of fuel comes out from fuel feed line. Codes still return P0087, P0093, P1614, and now a new one P0100. Coolant tank empty and has been losing coolant since the timing belt change. Also checked the oil dipstick and looks significantly overfilled??? Although appears to be only oil. Think we killed the starter along with the battery. Battery continually requires recharge and starter spins off while cranking at times.

Will the saga ever end!!! Help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello to all again, ding, ding, round three dismantling this jeep again. It's been parked awhile, we have scratched our heads, wondering. Anyways an update, pour hoat coolant in the coolant reservoir immediately exits out the open fumoto oil drain valve (wow). Been dismantling it little at a time, and organizing it all inside of the jeep. Found one broken rocker this time. On this attempt the head will have to be removed and we are at that point now. Just have a rounded head bolt that is currently an impasse. Will post any further progress.

As if this isn't enough my jeep is also due the timing belt. I have had my kit plus the etecno glow plugs in the box they came in, just haven't gotten around to it.

Ill keep everyone posted

Tony

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next