It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: oil use?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:15 am 
LOST Newbie

I am a new owner of a 05 CRD Liberty and have a question about what is considered normal oil usage. My CRD is an immaculate Liberty with 95000 miles showing. I changed all the fluids for a baseline when I purchased it. The next time I checked my engine oil (300-400 miles) I was down a quart. For the last 10-15 years all gas engines I have owned never needed oil added between oil changes. What should I expect in oil consumption?

Thanks in advance

Stant 195 degree thermostat,

Post subject: Re: oil use?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:20 pm 
LOST Addict

The dipstick in notorious for being inaccurate. Did you fill it by volume or by the dipstick. If you overfill it will find it's own level. Monitor, and if it stops going down I wouldn't be too concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

To add some specifics to dirtmover's comments. Dipstick accuracy seems to vary from vehicle to vehicle so the best thing to do is do on a warm engine do a complete system drain and filter removal (ideally with the engine a bit nose up); install a filter of your choice (ex. WIX 51516 stock size or 51515 oversize); fill by volume with using 6.3-.4 qts for stock filter size or 7qts for oversize; crank the engine up and let idle for say 30 secs.; park on a flat spot for at least 5min. (I prefer more like 2 hrs not because it's more accurate but because it makes reading the stick easier if oil splashed in the stick tube gets to drain); read dip stick and if need be mark the by stick real full level.

The issue is if you overfill the excess simply pumps out thru the CCV > turbo > intercooler > intake > out the exhaust until an equilibrium is reached.

Also check the turbo supply and drain lines for leaks and the turbo "wheel" for looseness as any of these can pump oil out.

At 95,000 do you have proof positive that the timing belt has been changed not just "looked at" and deemed good.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Black smoke would be a very good indication if the engine were burning a quart of oil in 400-500mi - there's a lot more BTU in a quart of oil than in a gallon of Diesel fuel - more potential energy requires more combustion, more combustion requires more oxygen, not enuff oxygen to combust more BTU = black smoke

'turbo"wheel"' means the compressor fan wheel - pull the rubber duct off the compressor intake, turbine shaft should spin easily, so see can you wiggle or move the shaft in\out easily - this would indicate worn bearings and possible oil leakage, altho BOOST pressure usually blows oil back into the center cartridge

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:51 am 
LOST Member

Burning excessive oil is white smoke that smells like fuel. Black smoke under throttle is excess fuel. White smoke that smells sweet is coolant.

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES
HUSKY MOLDED FLOOR LINERS

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
FULL FORCE STAGE II INJECTORS
PHP CUSTOM TUNES 6POS SWITCH
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS
X-CODE FRONT LEAF SPRINGS (OEM LEVEL KIT)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Vapor is not smoke, any more than those things up in the sky are smoke clouds

Even those contrails behind hi-flying jet aircraft are vapor, not smoke

Correct: black smoke at any throttle, and especially under full throttle, is too much fuel with too little oxygen from filthy air filter, or some dip-stick cranked the Injection Pump up more than recommended because more is better..............

White vapor with odor of raw fuel is UNBURNED Diesel fuel, where combustion temperature was too low to ignite all fuel in the cylinder, hot but un-ignited fuel vapors passing out the exhaust system

White vapor with odor of engine coolant is leakage into exhaust system past exhaust valve, hot but unburned

Black smoke with odor of burned diesel fuel is UN-COMBUSTED Diesel fuel where fuel was at combustion temperature but all oxygen was consumed, fire went out, hot carbonized Diesel fuel passed out into the exhaust system as soot

Grayish smoke with something very nasty over odor of burned Diesel fuel is where engine coolant is leaking into cylinder or around exhaust valve, and coolant was exposed to combustion temperature, possibly also reducing combustion temperature, resulting in grayish smoke

Raw oil in the intake results in UNBURNED-but-carbonized oil, which then blows out the exhaust system as black smoke\soot

Some of these results can be easily-observed while using starter-fluid when trying to get your charcoal briquettes up-and-glowing (starter-fluid is fuel)
- white vapor: too much fuel, too little glow
- black smoke: lotsa glow, too much fuel
- white vapor with odor of beer................
- white vapor with odor of engine coolant: you drunkenly grabbed the bottle of anti-freeze by misteak.............
- white vapor with odor of urine...............

Know your subject.........................

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I will take papaindigo's suggestion and mark the dipstick on the next oil change. Thanks to all that responded

Stant 195 degree thermostat,