It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Loss of power / rough idle and stall ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi, I have an 05 CRD that nearly stranded us today on one of passes in Colorado.

So I got this CRD last year with bad rockers and a bad turbo, put new rockers, timing belt and turbo on it and then blocked off the EGR, added a lift pump and did a GDE ECO tune on it. It's been running pretty nicely for about 15k miles.

(AFAIK it the torque converter TSB was done about 100k ago and there is no evidence of it slipping or having any other problems yet)

Today while we were coming down from a pretty steep pass (Jones pass in colorado, which we'd just gone up in 4-low) it lost power after coming around one of the switch backs. So it sounded ok but with the pedal to the floor it would barely move. (No clouds of black smoke, the fuel filter pump primer was firm).

So we shut it down.

We tried starting it about five times, each time it would start, and the engine would idle very roughly and then shut down after a few seconds. Each time we checked the fuel filter pump, and it felt firm, and the lift pump was running as expected.

We never got any codes....

So after a few minutes of letting it sit it started right up and ran fine the rest of the day.

Stupid me for noting having tools on us....

Any ideas what this could be or hints on diagnosing it?

Post subject: Re: Loss of power / rough idle and stall ?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Even if you don't have a CEL on you could see if a Dealer can pull a code, cost ca. $50, or since you are apparently in Colorado you might check with Sir Sam, Ft. Collins I think.

As to the symptom it's rare but not unheard of. I experienced a similar episode some months back at a long traffic light, construction, I shut the engine of and when I restarted the engine ran like a piece of junk. No power, shaking, no smoke, could barely move the vehicle. Ran down the road a bit tried a restart, no improvement. Limped about 1/2 mile to a parking lot, shut down, popped hood, looked around for a couple of minutes, restarted and it ran just fine, no problem since. See chat at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78359&hilit=engine

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Both of these sound like an air-in-fuel issue, that all of us have experienced randomly, that scared the crap out of us, then magically went away.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine was not typical air in the fuel as in a filter head that needed bleeding, I checked, but it's possible somehow that a bubble got into and passed thru the system. It certainly did scare the crap out of me.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

so when you guys experienced this the primer pump on the filler head was still firm?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In my case primer was solid as a rock, was the first thing I checked when I popped the hood.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:50 am 
LOST Addict

You can try disconnect the battery when that happens, wait for few minutes and try again. Also, you may have some oxidation on the computer wire plugs, even if you see everything nice and dry. I'd advise to monitor the way your engine runs, and if anything seems awkward, disconnect the battery, remove the wires from the computer, clean the connectors and assemble back, this will more than likely take care of those unknown gremlins that cause apparent random issues.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

This has happened to me twice, and the secret is, indeed, to turn it off for at least a couple minutes. You have to give it enough time for the computer to completely shut off, which takes more than a few seconds. I really hate the fact that I occasionally have to reboot my Liberty...

Current: 2006 Liberty CRD Sport (SunCoast TC, GDE EcoTune, SAMCO hoses, Fumoto oil drain valve), 1998 Wrangler Sport (2.4L, 2" lift, winch)
Previous: '43 Willys, '75 CJ-5, '82 Wagoneer Limited, '94 Wrangler Renegade, '96 Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:14 am 
LOST Member

A similar thing happened to me the other day. I started up and drove though a parking lot, when I got to the road I stopped and the engine was running really rough at idle. I turned onto the road and gave it some gas and it perked up, but not as quick as usual. As soon as I got to 30 mph I let off on the gas and it started stuttering again like it was missing a cylinder. I put it into Neutral and pulled into another parking lot. As soon as I gave it some gas it would run fine but when I took my foot off the gas it would stutter again. It made no sense so I just shut it off and started it up again...shazam, everything was back to 'normal' !! :dizzy:

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me