It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: electric fan in transmission cooler
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:12 am 
LOST Junkie

Hi guys , what do you think if I put a switch that can switch on the electric fan ? example I know in some occasion , low speed and high rpm and load the tranny can overheat , for prevent this , I can switch on the electric fan , how the ECU can react ? can be there a conflict ?
I want to install a gauge for monitoring the trans temp

any suggestion is much appreciated

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

Post subject: Re: electric fan in transmission cooler
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:02 am 
LOST Junkie

no one ?

:(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you mean the electric fan just behind the grill it's already temperature controlled although I cannot say for certain that it's linked to transmission temp. If you are worried about transmission temp then just install an auxiliary transmission cooler.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes her own , I'm sure that it's linked to transmission temp , I have tested after going up hill and hot temp and fan go on with no AC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:38 am 
LOST Addict

Yeti, if you were driving on 3rd or lower (torque converter unlocked) then yes, it can overheat. Best is to add an additional cooler and a transmission gauge. I'm not sure how the ecu is going to react if you'll power up the fan with your own switch/relay, I would just use a switch and delete the factory wires, making the pusher e-fan fully manual.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes 2nd and 3rd gear, I'm looking out of a cooler with a fan, but I do not know what can fit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:55 am 
LOST Junkie

ok , I need a suggestion , what do you think of this oil Pan ??

http://www.rollinsmokediesel.com/pd-200 ... ?OID=16780

I have need something else for my filter ?

an I need to choose a little cooler to add with a fan , some suggestion ?

what you think about to change the existing fan , with one more performance or two fan ?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

This one is a few bucks cheaper...

http://www.airram.com/product.php?categ ... oductid=39

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:02 am 
LOST Addict

Those pans won't work with the transmission skids, unless you drop it on front. But due to couple quarts more of fluid and aluminum with finns, it will heat harder.

If you have the stock mechanical puller, you don't need a fan on the additional transmission cooler, if you install it in front. Oil coolers work a little different than a water/air coolers, due to different viscosity/flow properties at cold/hot, so I'd highly recommend a stacked plate cooler. The flow and cooling in those coolers increases as the fluid gets warmer, and it goes through more and more stacked plates. If you go on Amazon or eBay, you can find a bunch of other good coolers way cheaper. Tru cool is a very good brand I use on all my vehicles. You can also try using the cooler I have (see signature), but that requires some mods you may not be willing to do... Anyways, that cooler kept the temps under control (about 160ish F on cooler inlet) in almost racing conditions in nyc, otherwise, I barely see it reaching 120F...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:08 am 
LOST Junkie

thanks thermorex , I haven't the transmission skid plate , what mod did you had for matching the new cooler ? I'm new to this mod and need help to decide , I live in mountain and the AC in Easter work less , I'll use more in winter , so if cools less, I have no problems, what interests me is the cool transmission, since a lot of effort in the heavy snow, the fan that you have installed, what it is if you say that the oil cooler does not need it? or I misunderstood?

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

jthomas999 wrote:

thanks a lot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:14 am 
LOST Junkie

I have bought this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CI ... UTF8&psc=1

I delete the existing e-fan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:21 am 
LOST Addict

Yeti wrote:
thanks thermorex , I haven't the transmission skid plate , what mod did you had for matching the new cooler ? I'm new to this mod and need help to decide , I live in mountain and the AC in Easter work less , I'll use more in winter , so if cools less, I have no problems, what interests me is the cool transmission, since a lot of effort in the heavy snow, the fan that you have installed, what it is if you say that the oil cooler does not need it? or I misunderstood?

thanks

Marco, if you still need info about my transmission cooler upgrade, please send me another pm, I just saw your post today, been a little busy this past weeks and not very active on the forum...

To make a long story short, I added the cooler from the signature, the oil lines go straight in it, without using the stock cooler, and instead of the stock pusher electric fan, I installed 2 7 inch fans, I couldn't go bigger/larger due to the locking hinge for the hood that's in the way, in between the 2 fans, so 7 inch fans were the only ones that fit. Also, the transmission cooler is mounted on the jeep frame, not intercooler, and the 7 inch fans are secured on the transmission cooler, which is thick enough to hold bigger/larger fans. Let me know if you need more details.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 am 
LOST Junkie

new PM sent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:35 am 
LOST Junkie

thermorex wrote:
Those pans won't work with the transmission skids, unless you drop it on front. But due to couple quarts more of fluid and aluminum with finns, it will heat harder.

If you have the stock mechanical puller, you don't need a fan on the additional transmission cooler, if you install it in front. Oil coolers work a little different than a water/air coolers, due to different viscosity/flow properties at cold/hot, so I'd highly recommend a stacked plate cooler. The flow and cooling in those coolers increases as the fluid gets warmer, and it goes through more and more stacked plates. If you go on Amazon or eBay, you can find a bunch of other good coolers way cheaper. Tru cool is a very good brand I use on all my vehicles. You can also try using the cooler I have (see signature), but that requires some mods you may not be willing to do... Anyways, that cooler kept the temps under control (about 160ish F on cooler inlet) in almost racing conditions in nyc, otherwise, I barely see it reaching 120F...

Are you talking about the OEM transmission skid plates or the after market?

Does anybody have a good design for a transmission skid so I could make one up?

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:43 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Are you talking about the OEM transmission skid plates or the after market?

Yes Jeff, I'm talking about the stock, oem skid, I do not know anything about aftermarket, but I hear that there are some aluminum ones pretty tough and well made. Pm tjkj2002, I bet he can provide great advise. I do not remember who in the crd forum installed those skids unfortunately... Audiboy?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:49 pm 

jrsavoie wrote:

This the design of one I made for my 05 Jeep CRD. It covers from the rear engine cross member under the transmission and then back past the transfer case. I made it out of 1/8 steel plate and welded a couple pieces of 1/2 inch square tubing on the full length of the bottom side of the plate for some additional strength. Added the big hole shown in the drawing to allow for oil changes. Painted the whole thing with spray can bed liner!
It is attached with four 7/16 bolts at the points shown in the drawing and they must be in the exact location as shown in order to fit correctly... The last 12 inches as shown has a slight bend upward of about 3-4 degrees (optional)....
Whole outfit cost me less than 50 bucks.... :)

If you need more info, let me know. :mrgreen:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
I do not know anything about aftermarket, but I hear that there are some aluminum ones pretty tough and well made. Pm tjkj2002, I bet he can provide great advise. I do not remember who in the crd forum installed those skids unfortunately... Audiboy?

If you are talking about the Asfir plates like the one seen below, they are nice, fit beautifully and take more of a hit than I thought they would.

Sadly, you may have missed the bus. The US distributor for Asfir went under, so to get one you have to contact the main office in Israel.

There is NO chance of fitting anything larger than the stock pan in there. I can't even run a Napa 1515 filter, as it is too tight and the filter hits the skid.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:58 am 
LOST Junkie

OK this is my third time to try to reply. The first was a really good post. I'm running out of time and patience. LOL

Thanks for the pan advice. I also need something to cover the FS2500. Mounted as it is, where the kit shows it is very apt to be damaged - resulting in catastrophic engine failure. The lines are also subject to be snagged as they are run. We talked about revamping the air box and installing the FS2500 under it, but that doesn't excite me either. It's hard to find room on these things for that big a filter. Just a matter of time and money.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

mounted the PML pan , and the B&M cooler with fan , in mountain road after one hour of aggressive driving the temp is arrived at 161 , with a full time on for simulate more load