It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ►► 05 CRD, 2 brake calipers overheating (not seized tho)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys my dad has a 05 crd and the two wheels only (front pass, and rear driver) brake comes on by it self as you drive and the brake calipers of course start to overheat unless you pull over. Now I know that brake calipers are NOT seized, i've check which makes me believe its something to do with ABS or ESP stability control system being retarded as I've see it happen on Audi's.

Can't seem to find any info on this, I think taking the fuse out of the ABS system fixes the problem but I'm not 100% sure thats what fixed it one time.

I know Audis and other German cars have a few g-sensors for the stability control does the CRD too? What could be causing this problem? Is there any way to run a diagnostic on the ESP with out expensive equipment? His ESP light does NOT come ON when you first turn the ignition to ON position, shouldn't it?

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated :-) so thank you in advance

PS he loves the truck and wants to keep it but theres always some little thing acting up.

EDIT: There are no lights on the dash and the ABS light does work, it turn on/off on start up.

Post subject: Re: ►► 05 CRD, 2 brake calipers overheating (not seized tho)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Don't really know, but the 2005s didn't have ESP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

didn't know that, that eliminates the ESP being the problem.

ABS must be the problem then, I wish there was a way to test for codes but I have a suspicion that it could the the ABS computer since there is no ABS light on the dash.

My dad just told me that the brake paddle gets super hard when the problem is happening, goes back to being soft when nothing is wrong. Few hours ago it happened, he made it home, turned off the car for about 2 hours and when started it back up it was fine again. This happens only like once every 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:37 am 
LOST Newbie

It is a common problem on this model. Problem is in brake caliper pin. There is some kind of rubber on it witch block caliper to move and block disk pads which generates heat. The pin sleeves allow the brake caliper to float on the brake pins. when the caliper can't float, the brakes can't release after they have applied. Change that pin with new one or remove rubber from it and lubricate it with special grease high temperature resistant. Fix is very simple. There is a lot of DIY on youtube

No.1 on picture. Pls note that problem is not rubber no. 2, but rubber on pin No. 1. Only upper pin has rubber on it.

Here is repair set:

'09 Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had the same issue, I just replaced the calipers so it would never happen again.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thing is my dad knows cars pretty good, he said he replaced the pads and made sure the pins where clean and float fine which they did. He still cleaned them and re-lubricated them so that why I don't get why its still doing it.

I read on just answers that it could be the break booster if all 4 wheels are locking up which I don't think its the case in our case, this is what it said:

"If the brakes are applying on all four wheels then it has to be a booster or master cylinder problem. Applying vacuum to the booster is causing the diaphragm to push on the master cylinder pushrod and apply the brakes."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OP said "front pass, and rear driver" were the problem ones so it's not the front pin problem. All modern vehicles have a dual master cylinder so if one side goes out you only lose 2 brakes not all 4 and typically the brakes are paired diagonally so if you do lose one set of brakes the remaining pair will stop the vehicle without pulling to one side. Since you are having problems with a diagonal pair I suspect you have a bad master cylinder. Check with any decent brake shop to confirm.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:
OP said "front pass, and rear driver" were the problem ones so it's not the front pin problem. All modern vehicles have a dual master cylinder so if one side goes out you only lose 2 brakes not all 4 and typically the brakes are paired diagonally so if you do lose one set of brakes the remaining pair will stop the vehicle without pulling to one side. Since you are having problems with a diagonal pair I suspect you have a bad master cylinder. Check with any decent brake shop to confirm.

???????????????
Master cylinders are sectioned front and rear, never hear of diagonal arrangement, unless that is a ABS logic thing that I don't know about.
And then, one front wheel braking wouldn't work without pulling the steering wheel to the side.

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If that is the case then I have no idea why the issue is "front pass, and rear driver" with a hard pedal.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:06 am 
LOST Addict

Regarding the pins, you should assemble without the anti rattle band. Use plenty of lube and they will not rattle. Your problem is either the calipers or master cylinder. Most likely it is the calipers. If the pistons were difficult to retract when you changed the pads, it is the calipers. We had the same problem. We are on our third pair of front calipers in 130K. The phenolic material expands and the pistons stick. Nobody seems to make stainless pistons.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hum DOC4444 makes a good point about the phenolic pistons and I have had them stick and lock brakes. Speculating a bit perhaps what is happening is those pistons are sticking and unsticking and when stuck on the down stroke the brakes drag and the pedal is hard because the piston has been depressed although I could easily be wrong.

I dug around a while back and seem to remember that you could find units with SS pistons but only for 1 pair (fr/rr I forget which) of wheels.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:43 am 
LOST Addict

Once I took out the rubber anti rattle thingy, I never have had an issue...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:47 am 
LOST Addict

Sometimes you will get this when the rubber lines collapse internally. However, it goes away after everything cools down. Does anyone remember how much effort it took to retract the pistons?

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had several problems like this. I replaced the calipers and the master cylinder. It was ok for around 40k then it happened again.

So I traded it in for a Jetta TDI!! This was the last straw with that CRD.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

I just had to overhaul my front brakes, due to a sticking left front brake.
I wondered why I was getting excessive rusty dust on my left alloy wheel.
The inner pad of the left front had gotten cocked and was wearing badly at an angle.
The pad ears were frozen in those stainless clips. Had to beat the old pads out with a hammer.
Upon further investigation, I think the problem was excessive rust in the channels where the clips go forcing them against the pad ears preventing movement.
Winter time road salt sucks. And, I do flush my wheels and brakes often in the winter.
After sandblasting the caliper adapters and refreshing with new hardware and pads and rotors, everything is good.
The calipers were fine and free, I also took the time to pump new fluid through the system.
Now to do the rears before State inspection time this month.

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

thermorex wrote:

Are you referring to the rubber sleeve that is on one of the caliper slide pins?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

What also happens, is the piston's boot will tear when the piston is pushed in too fast during a brake service, because it will get caught on the tool. This allows corrosion to start on the piston. The reason it doesn't seize until it has been driven, is because there is still piston to caliper clearance. Once warm though, the piston expands and gets stuck due to said corrosion. Peel the piston boot back carefully and examine it to check for this, or just examine for tears and replace the caliper anyways!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

SBrooks wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Are you referring to the rubber sleeve that is on one of the caliper slide pins?

Steve

repost of above. Can somebody answer the question?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

SBrooks wrote:
SBrooks wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Steve

repost of above. Can somebody answer the question?

Steve

Correct. Just remove it.

This black rubber

'09 Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I too had the anti rattle rubbers causing sticking trouble. Replaced them with liberal amounts of copper never seize.
Been fine since.

Etecno Metal glow plugs
New starter at 165,000km
New timing belt water pump ( ID Parts) 169,000 km