It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: COOLING FAN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:58 am 
LOST Newbie

The Electric fan on my CRD is toast. Want to remove mechanical and go with just electric. I see that there is mounting points for an electric fan on the inside of the radiator. Anyone found the fan that will fit on these mounts?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: COOLING FAN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:19 am 
LOST Junkie

I would also be interested in a fan that does not attach to the radiator core. I had problems with radiator damage on 2 different vehicles - 1977 Dodge concord motor home and 1989 GMC Suburban - with transmission coolers mounted to the radiator core. Eventually the both radiator cores failed.
They were both several years down the road, but I intend to keep the Jeep several years if I ever get it straightened out. So far this is the worst money pit vehicle I have ever had.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:50 pm 
LOST Member

There is a hd cooling kit for the gassers that places am electric (unknown flow rate) inside the fan shroud to work with the 12 blade nylon fan. Individual part numbers are available in the parts book that is floating around the web in .pdf.

If it were me, and it someday might, I would just police up a 3.8l Taurus fan and a dual speed spal fan controller, and be done with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

Is the Taurus fan is better than this:?

Would this be more of a direct bolt in item?

Would this be more than sufficient?

http://www.moparpartssource.com/p/Mopar ... _StockCode

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Rich is pretty much right with the Taurus fan, lots of Cherokees adapted that fan, I believe it has something like 3500-3800 cfm, one of the best for that size. Plus is relatively cheap, not sure if the shroud can be used as is or something bigger should be fabed...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

Last edited by thermorex on Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:21 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:
Is the Taurus fan is better than this:?

Would this be more of a direct bolt in item?

Would this be more than sufficient?

http://www.moparpartssource.com/p/Mopar ... _StockCode

If you don't care spending about 350-400 bucks, get the ff dynamics fan and shroud and the variable speed controller from summit, other than few wires(which you actually need for any e-fan, more or less) and side brackets for the shroud, it's the easiest option for an e-fan imo. The Taurus is great if you don't mind spending some time adapting it, and finding a good spot so the fan motor won't touch engine accessories.

I trust more either one of the two options than whatever mopar made for the jeep gasser...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:34 pm 
LOST Addict

What's so special about the Taurus electric fan?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:05 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
What's so special about the Taurus electric fan?

Price, you can get it from junkyard, and cfm numbers. Also, dual speed. Easy to adapt on Cherokee, where I first heard about it. Not sure how involving is to adapt it on crd, I think the height of the shroud is not enough, but with a good welder, it's easy enough to modify it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

It's been a while and I am closer to installing an electric fan kit?

iS there a kit out yet that does NOT hang off the radiator core?

Or would somebody be willing to put together a kit for a price?

I have a bunch of projects and figuring and finding everything I need is the most time consuming.

Installation is usually the easy part

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64982&p=883257#p883257

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

Last edited by jrsavoie on Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:10 pm 
LOST Addict

There should already be a electric cooling fan in front of your radiator. For me it works just fine.
But there is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-LIBERTY-CRD-DIESEL-FF-DYNAMICS-EXTREME-ELECTRIC-COOLING-FAN-KIT-MPG-CUSTOM-/111775276638?hash=item1a06535e5e:m:mKBiV-nXOYopg80CSoN42zQ&vxp=mtr
It would replace the factory engine driven fan and the factory electric fan.
At least one member here has installed it and seems satisfied.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:59 am 
LOST Junkie

flash7210 wrote:
There should already be a electric cooling fan in front of your radiator. For me it works just fine.
But there is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-LIBERTY-CRD-DIESEL-FF-DYNAMICS-EXTREME-ELECTRIC-COOLING-FAN-KIT-MPG-CUSTOM-/111775276638?hash=item1a06535e5e:m:mKBiV-nXOYopg80CSoN42zQ&vxp=mtr

My fan clutch seems to be going bad. I will only replace it with an electric fan kit.

The fan kit you linked is the kit that hangs off the radiator fins. I had issues with 2 vehicles doing that before. I will not do it again. It's bad enough to learn a lesson twice. I will not be taught the same lesson again.

I talked to the guy to find out if he had a way of mounting the kit that did not involve hanging the fan off of the radiator coils. He was a total Richard. Not just my opinion. Apparently his reputation precedes him. I got a lot of results when I googled his name and then found him on forums. What a total booty.

But I am still looking for a kit or somebody willing to do the install or set up a kit and sell it to me. I do not care what it is, as long as it works trouble free.

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:00 pm 

A mechanical option: :wink:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82941&hilit

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:17 pm 
LOST Addict

jrsavoie wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
But there is this:

My fan clutch seems to be going bad. I will only replace it with an electric fan kit.

The fan kit you linked is the kit that hangs off the radiator fins. I had issues with 2 vehicles doing that before. I will not do it again. It's bad enough to learn a lesson twice. I will not be taught the same lesson again.

I talked to the guy to find out if he had a way of mounting the kit that did not involve hanging the fan off of the radiator coils. He was a total Richard. Not just my opinion. Apparently his reputation precedes him. I got a lot of results when I googled his name and then found him on forums. What a total booty.

But I am still looking for a kit or somebody willing to do the install or set up a kit and sell it to me. I do not care what it is, as long as it works trouble free.

That fan is what I have. You need to fab 2 brackets and secure it in the shroud holes, on the side of the intercooler. Fabing the brackets is very easy, all you need is a tape measure, drill and a metal saw.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

thermorex wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:
flash7210 wrote:
But there is this:

That fan is what I have. You need to fab 2 brackets and secure it in the shroud holes, on the side of the intercooler. Fabing the brackets is very easy, all you need is a tape measure, drill and a metal saw.

Could you get me any more pictures? And / or blow up the pictures of your clips? I can not make the pictures you attached big enough to get a good look at the clips.

Since it sounds like it can easily be mounted in that manner, I will order one. Sounds like the easiest route to go. The least amount of shopping and fabbing. I have plenty of aluminum and stainless here to fab up what I need.

Since my health problems I have more problems figuring things out and designing stuff. The fact that my vision has eroded over the years doesn't help much. The last couple of times I had the TIG welder out, I made a mess before I got things under control.

Thank you much for the advice.

I don't know why Mr. Happy could not have just told me that when I talked to him. I would have bought one a long time ago. It still irritates the heck out of me that he was such an obnoxious fool when I tried ordering the first time.

He was all about just hang it from the radiator core, it won't hurt anything and then he got all ignorant with me when I told him I would never mount anything like that again. Especially something as heavy as the fan unit.

Another objection I had to the kit was paying that much and then having to do an unknown amount of Fab work to install it.

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

The Richard head did not like my posts so he blocked me from buying from him. He is indeed a @#$#%^

I am questioning the claims of a 2mpg gain with the fan. I have been running with only the front electric fan for quite some time now and noticed no difference in mpg's at all.

But then I have always questioned why 26 mpg is the absolute best we have ever done. We check the mileage every tank full. We are generally between 21 and 24 mpg

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:08 am 
LOST Member

It is my understanding that the ebay vendor is not the same company as FF Dynamics, but the ebay guy is an authorized vendor for FF Dynamics. So if you want the fan kit, buy it from the one of the two that you did not have trouble with. I was going to buy from the ebay vendor that Thermorex suggested, but I called FF Dynamics, and they sold me the kit directly for the same or slightly better price than the ebay vendor.

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:50 am 
LOST Junkie

Dent wrote:
It is my understanding that the ebay vendor is not the same company as FF Dynamics, but the ebay guy is an authorized vendor for FF Dynamics. So if you want the fan kit, buy it from the one of the two that you did not have trouble with. I was going to buy from the ebay vendor that Thermorex suggested, but I called FF Dynamics, and they sold me the kit directly for the same or slightly better price than the ebay vendor.

Thanks

I will give them a call. How do you call FF Dynamics? I could not find a phone number anywhere.

Did the kit include everything needed for the install?

viewtopic.php?f=98&t=77542

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:29 pm 
LOST Member

I went back through my emails, and it seems I did not call them. All of my communication was handled by email. info@ffdynamics.com
http://ffdynamics.com/products/jeep-lib ... -4-extreme

JBA 4" lift, IRO Tri-link w/ wwdiesel bracket, JBA sliders, 235/85-16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Mercedes Benz forged ultralight wheels, Weeks stage 1 and 2, Weeks lift pump and harness, Weeks battery tray and AGM battery, GDE tune, Suncoast TC, updated front pump, HDS 001 T-stat, ARP studs, Front and rear Detroit/Eaton Truetrac LSD.