It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:57 pm 
RedJeepCRD wrote:
Good question on the towing. I have my old 95 bronco still but I would like to see if I can setup the Rubicon Unlimited to pull it. It's only about 3500 pounds empty but that the max for the Rubicon and you can never really tow empty and go camping. May just have to pull the trailer with the bronco. Don't tell me anything about problems with the 6 speed. I might break out and cry at this point. I had the choice of an automatic and the 6 speed and chose the 6 speed thinking it was a really heavy duty piece.

Wes

Just drive the Rubi a bunch and make sure the transmission isn't hard to shove into gear. Especially 3rd and 4th gear. If you get it broken in good, and it shifts easily, you'll have no problems. Otherwise, it's pretty easy for the dealership to swap in a good one. Just do a bunch of stop and go driving for the first 6 months and you'll know. About 6 of the 10 regular unlimiteds that I test drove had this problem, but this was over a year ago.

It sounds like you have had the CRD in a few too many times. At least with the 6-spd, it's an easy to diagnose thing. If a gear is bad, it's bad - and something a dealer can actually fix instead of chasing a ghost problem like we seem to have in the CRDs.

Most important - post up a picture of that bad boy! :D

Just for my own information - how did the CRD handle the Fun Finder?
Since I still have my CRD, I might try out the travel trailer thing. I've been looking at a Jayco 197 Feather Light, about 3,300 lbs dry. Also looked at the Fun Finders. I'm worried about sway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just use the sway control and your CRD with pull that Jayco like a champ. I loved the CRD when it came to pulling. I averaged about 15 to 18 mpg pulling the Fun Finder and it's about 4000 pounds loaded.

Just a quick update on the Rubicon Unlimited. I'm going to try and get some pictures posted up sometime soon. I love the way it drives offroad. Took it up a really steep embankment yesterday. I have been offroading for years but I've never driven a vehicle with 4.10's and a 4 to 1 transfer case. Four Low, First gear with the lockers engaged and I'm pretty sure it would climb a skyscraper.

You guys got any idea's about towing the fun finder with the Rubicon Unlimited? I'm not sure about it, but everything in the Rubicon seems to be very heavy duty. I can't try it out yet due to not having trailer brakes installed, but thats coming soon.

Wes

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:12 pm 
RedJeepCRD wrote:
Just use the sway control and your CRD with pull that Jayco like a champ. I loved the CRD when it came to pulling. I averaged about 15 to 18 mpg pulling the Fun Finder and it's about 4000 pounds loaded.

Just a quick update on the Rubicon Unlimited. I'm going to try and get some pictures posted up sometime soon. I love the way it drives offroad. Took it up a really steep embankment yesterday. I have been offroading for years but I've never driven a vehicle with 4.10's and a 4 to 1 transfer case. Four Low, First gear with the lockers engaged and I'm pretty sure it would climb a skyscraper.

You guys got any idea's about towing the fun finder with the Rubicon Unlimited? I'm not sure about it, but everything in the Rubicon seems to be very heavy duty. I can't try it out yet due to not having trailer brakes installed, but thats coming soon.

Wes

It really will go anywhere now. Most people modifiy the heck out of them and for no real reason other than looks. At most, I'd get a 1.5" coil spacer lift from Daystar and keep the stock tire size and your Unlimited Rubi will be perfect.

As for towing, be VERY careful. You now have a much narrower wheel track and that 19 foot trailer will try to own you. Maybe someone on here can speak that has one. Your drivetrain is the most capable out there now, but your lighter weight and smaller width can make it real dangerous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I drove 300 miles in a winter storm, over a mountain pass, in a new Rubicon to trade it for the Liberty I bought (saved me $400). I am sure the wheel base of the Rubicon can't be a whole lot shorter than the Liberty but I can tell you I would not have enjoyed the Rubicon as a daily driver. The trip was a workout and driving the Liberty back in the same conditions was like night and day.

Given that though as long as the wheelbase is about the same I don't know that it would tow a lot different. Dragging an anchor might even help.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Congrats on the Rubi, Wes! I actually traded in a Rubi for my CRD, I was driving way too many miles to be getting 12 mpg, about 20 each way to work plus other trips....I have recently moved so I am only 1.3 miles from work one way, I'm considering another Wrangler when they come out in a few months but not a Rubicon....too hard to deal with as a daily driver with the low gearing and bad mileage...perfect as a 2nd vehicle, though. I really would love a CRD Wrangler but who knows when that is coming if ever. Just curious....what did they give you on your trade? Was yours a sport or limited? None of the usual sites have CRD trade in value yet....NADA, KBB...no data. Thanks!

"The other Wes"

245/75 16 BFG All-Terrain T/A's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Let's just say there has been an investigation opened by DC on the particular dealership that has been a royal pain over the past few weeks...

oldnavy wrote:
loyalp wrote:
The service history of my CRD shows the throttle body was replaced at about 2500 miles. It has 9400 now, and it just went in for the transmission TSB.

I didn't think there would be a throttle body either, but the service manager showed me everything on a nice parts blow-up table.

-Loyal
Look in FSM and see if you can find a throttle body for the CRD, diesels don't have them. He was probably talking about the EGR air flow control valve or the EGR itself. Lets hope the didn't just throw some BS in the system and not think it will kick back on them. Someone at warranty section of D/C should catch that and reject the warranty payment. Most I ever saw rejected by Chrysler was $97,000 and change, owner of dealership about stroked out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:55 pm 
LOST Addict

It's nice to hear. I can understand that some Jeep dealers have problems with CRD if they are not part of a large Dodge truck operation that sell and services Cummins and MB engines, but to just lie about their ability to do the repairs properly is beyond me and why D/C let it happen.

Now if something could be done about the dealers reluctance keep up with TSB's or even do them is also a sign of poor management at both dealers end and at D/C for failing to notice and or take prompt corrective action. I was getting reaady to buy another D/C vehicle, but I am starting to have doubts about buying my third D/C vehicle.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I can't complain about the trade in they gave me. I owed $21000 on the CRD and they said the KBB was only $17000. They gave me $21000 for the trade in with it broken down in the shop. BUT I have bought three jeeps from them and have sold 3 to 4 vehicles for them, by taking relatives and friend there) The general manager knows me, if that really helped me get $21000 on trade I don't know. They gave me the Rubicon for $30000. That may have been where they made up there money. Anyways like I said I hate to lose my Diesel but the wife was very upset with the amount of time the CRD was spending sitting at the dealer. She loves the Rubicon with the 6 speed, but she also use to volunteer to drive the Fire Department's brush truck out to brush fire just so she could shift gears and double clutch. :lol:

Also I'm going to have three mopar oil filters, one fuel filter, a provent, and an extra provent filter if anyone wants them.

Wes

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco