It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power mirrors will not move
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Neither outside power mirror will move and there is no "motor" sound. The 06 FSM says check fuse #25 at the "junction block" which I"m guessing is the fuse panel on the dash just inside the driver's door (US side) and also says to "Remove the power mirror switch (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/POWER MIRRORS/POWER MIRROR SWITCH - REMOVAL)." to test for power at the switch but the FSM has no such removal instructions.

Thoughts? I think we may have to pull the door panel to get to that switch.

Other thoughts?

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Re: Power mirrors will not move
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hum - the test pins on all the interior fuses test ok for continuity so it appears all those fuses are ok. We popped the door panel and pulled the mirror switch; with ignition on per FSM pins 3 and 5 should have power and they both do. I conclude we have power to the switch and since neither mirror motor works I conclude it's highly unlikely that we lost both mirror motors at the same time so my bet is on a bad switch. Local DCJ has one in stock for ca. $50 which I can get tomorrow after 8am so I'll try that. If not we live with manual adjustments for our trip to Kearney, Nebraska (Monday/Tuesday) for stoutdog's first real job (director of the Frank House Museum for the Univ. of Nebraska - not as "big" as it sounds but a good start to his career) after getting his PhD.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Re: Power mirrors will not move - SOLVED
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

New switch solved the problem

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:26 am 
LOST Member

Autopsy on the old switch?

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No autopsy as no time to do so (have to get stoutdog packed and on the road Monday 1st thing to his job in Kearney, NE) and the unit is sealed. Since nothing happened my best guess is the L/R rocker switch was internally stuck in the middle/OFF position.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

It is a simple switch. If it does not work, contacts are bad.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

True although in the bad old days the two halves of the switch would have been held together by 4 screws and I could have opened it and probably, been there done that, fixed it. But the replacement cost wasn't bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:21 am 
LOST Member

My girlfriend's 02 has the same issue. I haven't changed the switch yet because they are stuck where she wants them, and she is the primary driver, so its no big deal.
Need to get around to it eventually though...