It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Totaled
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:19 pm 
LOST Member

Hello group, sad news, last Thursday someone crossed the double yellow and hit my CRD. :-( Spoke with my body man this morning and he's sure the insurance company will total it. :'( :'( :'( Of course I'm very concerned about what they will offer me but I also need to start exploring my options. Any tips, suggestions, and advice will be appreciated.

Tigafila

Post subject: Re: CRD Totaled
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

Glad your OK, that chunk of a diesel engine in front of you must of absorbed some of the impact. Those 04-08 VW Toureg V10 TDI always catch my eye. You gonna try to to buy the crd back and part out or let em have it?

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Totaled does not mean it cant be fixed, just not worth it to the insurance company. Are you handy and is the drive train OK? Maybe a transplant into a wrangler would be cool?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:07 pm 
LOST Member

You could:

a) buy my CRD and be back in CRD heaven.

and more seriously

b) if you have a friend who owns a shop or your know where the Jeep is located, see if you can get them to call your insurance company and get a buyout figure. The price insurance companies give to shops is often a fraction of what they offer to the owner, so if the shop buys it on your behalf it can save a bundle. Pull the drivetrain, scrap the shell.

I personally have had to deal with "fixed" car bodies...they are NEVER fixed. Even the best frame-straightening racks will never get it back to where it was. The doors won't seal right, the car will creak more. Honestly it will never be the same Jeep you had, and I wouldn't spend any time or money trying to get it there.

Glad you are okay.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

cevans wrote:
b) if you have a friend who owns a shop or your know where the Jeep is located, see if you can get them to call your insurance company and get a buyout figure. The price insurance companies give to shops is often a fraction of what they offer to the owner, so if the shop buys it on your behalf it can save a bundle. Pull the drivetrain, scrap the shell.

Glad you are okay.

This!

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'd buy the engine if it gets parted out, and I'm in new Ohio so I could pick it up.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the replies, I definitely don't want this one fixed after talking to the body guy. If I can find one with a blowed motor I would consider swapping mine in. I'd love to have another if buying mine and swapping drivetrains doesn't work but everything would have to work out right because I don't want to have to add money to end up with what I have now. Any donor bodies out there? Cevans pm me the details on yours if you will, any others? What other 4x4 diesel that gets this fuel mileage can I buy in that ballpark or any ballpark for that matter?

Tigafila

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:23 am 
LOST Newbie

07-08 Grand Chreokee CRD is about your only other option in that price range

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:55 pm 
LOST Addict

I see 2 feasible choices, one would be to get cevans jeep (I have nothing to gain from him btw, but I saw the car in pics and looks pretty good) and keep your engine and good parts as spare (or part out whatever you consider to get some money back), another one would be to get a gasser/crd with bad engine and do the swap yourself, using your engine and transmission, but that's kind of a pain especially with all this electronics. Good thing about 2nd is that you can go over every single detail (rust, bad connectors, etc).

Btw, you may be lucky to get a crd with bad engine for few grands, and still be able to use some stuff from the engine.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:11 pm 
LOST Member

If you are willing to take on a project, it should be easy to find a gas Liberty for a good price. I would think you have all the parts to make it work with your motor. You'd get a little back selling the gas engine, transmission, computer, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:13 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the advice, keep it coming. I have the ability to do the gasser swap but not the time. Because of the inherent issues with our CRD's and the fact that the $$ from the ins. co. would only replace mine with another high-ish mile CRD I have decided the only way I would want another CRD would be if I could trust it's history. That leaves me with A. finding a CRD with a bad drivetrain (there must be some out there that have blown a timing belt) to swap my drivetrain into (much simpler than a gasser swap). B. purchase one from a member here that has done necessary mods (and preferably has run Amsoil since new). C. purchase a completely different vehicle. The adjuster floated a figure of just under $10k on the phone and it was just in passing but I need to figure out what an honest number would be. It now has about 183k on it, limited with navi and as far as I know every available option including skids. Any help on that front would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks so much, Tigafila

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:27 pm 
LOST Member

I think that's a pretty reasonable settlement, and you can probably negotiate a bit better. If you are patient, you should be able to find a CRD with a blown engine for just a few thousand. I thin you could wind up with some cash in your pocket and a lot of spare parts. Making lemonade out of lemons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Suggest you PM/email cevans as his (aka his Mom's) asking price is ca. $11,000 so if you can get insurance up to say $10,500 or a bit more you might could work a deal

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I need a pass Brakelight Assembly if you're going to part any of it out :D :D I'll even be in Ohio in a few weeks. I would consider buying the who vehicle if you were interested in selling!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:54 pm 
LOST Member

Rocky Mountain Yote, I will be buying it back and would prefer to sell the whole thing, if you're serious pm me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:11 pm 
LOST Member

Just before my previous post I heard from the adjuster, the Jeep is totalled. :'( They are going to make me an offer to buy it back plus some cash. I will probably sell it whole or part it out if I can't find a donor body (that doesn't sound good) almost immediately. Any interest in parts or whole please let me know. I will be deciding this weekend. Of course I will post pictures and details but feel free to pm me in the meantime.

Thanks again, Tigafila

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

What color interior? Leather?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:39 pm 
LOST Member

tigafila wrote:
Just before my previous post I heard from the adjuster, the Jeep is totalled. :'( They are going to make me an offer to buy it back plus some cash. I will probably sell it whole or part it out if I can't find a donor body (that doesn't sound good) almost immediately. Any interest in parts or whole please let me know. I will be deciding this weekend. Of course I will post pictures and details but feel free to pm me in the meantime.

Thanks again, Tigafila

I did this one time personally with a TDI - the engine and transmission were gone in 24 hours....but I still have a BUNCH of stuff that I stripped from the car that I could never sell. If you do buy it back, don't pay more than what you KNOW you can get for the engine + transmission or you might take a loss. It isn't easy pulling an engine or transporting it, too, so be sure its worth your time!

If you want to be "hands off" get the name and number of whoever would handle the buyback of the car and give that information directly to whoever is interested that way they can deal with the insurance company directly and you don't need to play the middle man.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:20 am 
LOST Member

jws84_02, gray leather interior, I will be posting it for sale in a few minutes.

Tigafila

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cevans wrote:
I did this one time personally with a TDI - the engine and transmission were gone in 24 hours....but I still have a BUNCH of stuff that I stripped from the car that I could never sell. If you do buy it back, don't pay more than what you KNOW you can get for the engine + transmission or you might take a loss. It isn't easy pulling an engine or transporting it, too, so be sure its worth your time!

If you want to be "hands off" get the name and number of whoever would handle the buyback of the car and give that information directly to whoever is interested that way they can deal with the insurance company directly and you don't need to play the middle man.

My son once flipped a TDI I gave him for his first car, it did not take long to sell the carcass along with the engine and tranny on the TDI forum as well.