It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dieselsite WW2 compressor wheel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:51 pm 
LOST Addict

I emailed the guy from dieselsite again to see if they have any user results or testing. I also asked if he knew what kind of boost we could target via custom tuning without over spinning the turbo. Hopefully I will hear back in the next few days.

Also, Thoroughbred diesel has the wheels for sale with free shipping over $100 and if you enter 10bucks as a coupon code the price is $119 shipped.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Talk to a turbo builder or rebuild shop. Diesel-guy said what I believe to be the case: That it would need to be balanced as a complete unit and that any turbo shop will tell you the same. Whether the wheel is balanced by itself is irrelevant, the balance changes as soon as it becomes part of a system.

Diesel-guy is also the one pushing the envelope the hardest on these jeeps, and has done far more turbo research than I will probably ever do, so I'm willing to trust his knowledge and experience here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:59 am 
LOST Member

I sell these wheels too as I'm a dealer with Dieselsite products. But for the sake of our forum and me not a site sponsor, I have to follow the rules. So I'm kinda limited on what I can say. ;). I was just quite surprised to see Bob post to us that he had a billet wheel for the CRD. And it is specifically for ours. Not necessarily for overseas market. But I bet it will fit those VGT turbos also.

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES
HUSKY MOLDED FLOOR LINERS

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
FULL FORCE STAGE II INJECTORS
PHP CUSTOM TUNES 6POS SWITCH
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS
X-CODE FRONT LEAF SPRINGS (OEM LEVEL KIT)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

Do they make a 60 mm wheel? I'm currently building a Garrett gt2560 with some tricked out bearings. I have a billet wheel on it now, but im not all that impressed with it, worried it might be a Chinese made wheel. Are the wicked wheels point cut, or flank cut? Point cut is a lot better as the blade profile is a lot smoother and more precise, and does make a flow difference.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:21 pm 
LOST Member

Yes, but I'm not sure what exact profiles for an off the shelf turbo. Most of his wheels are vehicle specific except for a few. They are CNC milled.

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

So......after overheating going through the Rockies, I stretched the head bolts and coolant is leaking out of the back of my head so a dis-assembly is in my immediate future. I'm a sucker for upgrades so I ordered one of these wheels and received it today. I found that their wheel is not threaded like ours are. I contacted Bob @ DieselSite and I am working with them for a solution by providing a core so they can copy the threaded portion. I'll let everyone know how it works out when I receive the revised wheel 8)

BTW, Sasquatch is carrying their compressor wheels and who I initially got mine from. Hit em up! http://www.sasquatch-motorsports.com/turbowheel.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:10 pm 
LOST Addict

RockyMountainYote wrote:
So......after overheating going through the Rockies, I stretched the head bolts and coolant is leaking out of the back of my head so a dis-assembly is in my immediate future. I'm a sucker for upgrades so I ordered one of these wheels and received it today. I found that their wheel is not threaded like ours are. I contacted Bob @ DieselSite and I am working with them for a solution by providing a core so they can copy the threaded portion. I'll let everyone know how it works out when I receive the revised wheel 8)

BTW, Sasquatch is carrying their compressor wheels and who I initially got mine from. Hit em up! http://www.sasquatch-motorsports.com/turbowheel.html

There was a revision mid way through the CRD production and some have threaded wheels, while others have the wheel with a nut. One can of course check by pulling off the turbo inlet hose and looking for a 12 point nut on the wheel.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

CATCRD wrote:
RockyMountainYote wrote:

There was a revision mid way through the CRD production and some have threaded wheels, while others have the wheel with a nut. One can of course check by pulling off the turbo inlet hose and looking for a 12 point nut on the wheel.

There was a revision, yes... But as of tonight, there is no WW2 for the thread on style compressor wheel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:23 pm 
LOST Addict

RockyMountainYote wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
RockyMountainYote wrote:

There was a revision, yes... But as of tonight, there is no WW2 for the thread on style compressor wheel

When was the change? Mine was is a November 2005 build and I was just about to pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm 
LOST Member

Can either wheel work anyway, whether its threaded or not?

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

RockyMountainYote wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
RockyMountainYote wrote:

I'll be refunding your payment in full once the wheel arrives back at the shop. You will receive a complementary wheel for your troubles, once they have the threaded style wheel ready.

I'll be carrying both models going forward. Before anyone orders, check your turbo to see what type you have.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:51 pm 
LOST Addict

weeks101 wrote:
I'll be refunding your payment in full once the wheel arrives back at the shop. You will receive a complementary wheel for your troubles, once they have the threaded style wheel ready.

I'll be carrying both models going forward. Before anyone orders, check your turbo to see what type you have.

Maybe post your results as well as the build date of your jeeps so we can kinda keep tabs of where the change may have occurred. Unless this is an '05 vs '06 thing.

i'll try to check mine tonight since I need to put some new clamps on my hoses anyways

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just a couple of thoughts:
1. DCJ has a ancient history of putting what ever is in the top of the parts bin on the next vehicle coming down the line regardless. My 1993 D250's build sheet said it had a 3/4 ton 2.5" brake rear end when it actually had a 1 ton axle with 3" brakes mated to a 3/4 ton suspension. Plus one of our Plymouth minivans had a prior year bumper, I know I had to take the part off and bring it into the dealership to get it matched. All I'm saying is I would not bet on the threaded/not threaded Garratt turbo change being as simple as model year or even before/after a certain VIN especially if the PNs are the same and they are and if the Garratt #s are the same (don't know but suspect they are)
2. just to state the obvious this wheel won't work for those of use who have the GDE Stage II turbo.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
ALL of the turbos that I pulled apart on my 05 CRD were threaded shaft and solid wheel, not one had an external nut.

Two were the original from the factory on two different engines, and one was purchased from a dealership (and actually had a defect in the VNT section somehow)

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Every CRD turbo I have seen did not have a nut. Dieselsite is working very quickly on a fix and +100 rep to Sasquatch for that killer customer service :D

I'll update once its installed. I am going through hell with this CRD constantly overheating when driving up I-70 from Denver to Idaho Springs. The incline and length are just brutal on EVERY car, but especially the CRD. I am hoping the lowered EGT's make this more manageable. (Just fyi, new thermostat, new rad, new Hayden fan clutch, fresh oem coolant, and rad ducting is present).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 pm 
LOST Member

Wondering why you overheat. Heck the last few years I could never even get any heat out of mine it ran so cool. Winter time sucked.

AMSOIL
REDNECK EXHAUST MODS
GDE HOT AND ECO FT TUNES

'99 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4
AMSOIL
BTS TRANS/TC
6.0L TRANS COOLER
AFE STAGE II CAI
4" SS TURBO BACK EXHAUST
BILSTEINS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Anyone notice that they are not selling the WW2 as a stand alone piece anymore and only as an entire CHRA for $499. Hmmmm.

That eliminates the balancing issue but this thing suddenly costs 4x what it used to.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

mass-hole wrote:
Anyone notice that they are not selling the WW2 as a stand alone piece anymore and only as an entire CHRA for $499. Hmmmm

That CHRA/wheel combo is the only one they have. They used it for development and are selling it.

As for why the wheel isn't on the page anymore, that may be due to the fact that they are still working on the threaded version of the wheel.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:10 pm 
LOST Addict

weeks101 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
Anyone notice that they are not selling the WW2 as a stand alone piece anymore and only as an entire CHRA for $499. Hmmmm

That CHRA/wheel combo is the only one they have. They used it for development and are selling it.

As for why the wheel isn't on the page anymore, that may be due to the fact that they are still working on the threaded version of the wheel.

My bad. I just clicked on jeep under the turbo section and only saw they had the CHRA, the individual WW's are listed separately.

http://www.dieselsite.com/wickedwheelforthejeeplibertycrd.aspx

it looks like they may already have the threaded one available.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:09 am 
LOST Addict

It will still need to be balanced once assembled to the shaft and bearings. The idea that this could be pre-balanced to spin as an assembly at 100,000 plus RPM without any adjustments is comedy.

Trust me, I know, I tried. Even reassembling the SAME WHEEL that came off the shaft, the balance was wrong and it started squealing in short order.