It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05 CRD died?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Wife was driving tonight and it just quit running, like it lost electricity to the motor. Turn the key to restart and nothing. All of the idiot lights come on but starter does nothing, no clicking, no noise at all. Head lights work, dash lights, AC, radio. It's like no electricity to the motor. It just turned 120K. Really don't want to take it in to the stealer. Any suggestions where to start?
A couple weeks ago it acted up like it wasn't getting enough fuel. It would die but would always restart. I changed the fuel filter and every thing seemed normal. Drove fine for more than 200 miles. I really think this is a separate incident.

Post subject: Re: 05 CRD died?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check your battery voltage with headlites on - should never be below +12.63 volts - CRD won't start if batt is much below that - check directly across the posts, then across the cable terminal clamps - corrosion won't help

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Did it just die or "did the dash light up like a Christmas tree?
Sounds like a bad alternator or the pulley. They're easy to install yourself. I did it in a parking lot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The computer has to authorize the engine to start - usually cutting out while driving means that the computer doesn't have the power to run any more, but when the load of the engine and everything else is removed, it can power up the dash and LOOK ok... But as soon as the key is turned, the computer quits because it is starved for power by the starter.

Dead battery.

Either the battery was drained by a failing alternator / clutch pulley (you are OVER the mileage and age for either one to have happened already) or the battery was already marginal from its own age and wasn't charging anyway - battery replacement time.

Next question: You are at 120k miles... You HAVE replaced the timing belt, yes? If not... DO IT SOONER RATHER THAN LATER or your wife will be on the side of a road waiting for a tow truck before too long. That belt could be 10 years old now if it is still original from one of the first CRDs built in 2004.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I don't have a multi-meter to check the voltage. I did put the battery on a charger overnight but it didn't make any difference. I'll take the battery over to one of the auto parts stores here in town & have them check it out. I'll get back with you guys if I continue to have problems.
I had the timing belt changed last year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just got back from the parts store. Their tester showed 13 volts. Could it be an ignition switch?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Can you tell us more about how they tested it? Did they load test it and find it at 13 volts? If so, that seems pretty good.

If they didn't load test it, their test doesn't mean much and you should take it to a place that can do that. And given how easy it is to take off the alternator, I'd take that in and have them test it at the same time. If the battery test they did was under load, testing the alternator still seems like a good idea.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Ignition switch wouldn't cause it to die while driving, and it shouldn't light up the dash / accessories if that was the cause.

ASD relay (Automatic Shutdown Relay) *could* kill it instantly if the relay died, it is like a master switch. I don't know if that would prevent cranking, but I think it does.

Ok, checked the service manual, on pages 8E-17 and 8F-19, it describes the ASD and what is powered... So if that relay died, it WOULD prevent the engine from cranking. It is in the relay box in the engine, there is a chart on the cover that says which it is.

A couple of the others are exactly the same relay type, I would try swapping one in and see what that does. The Rear Window Defogger would be a safe one to try if it is the same shape. (The service manual is not terribly helpful, it assumes you have access to the jeep to see what is actually IN the Power Distribution Center in the engine) So you will need to pick the relay for a device you won't need for a little bit, while you are testing.

It won't matter if the example relay has an extra pin as long as the hole is there in the socket - relays all have the same function in the same places, and the socket just lacks the contact if a given option is not used. 5-pin relays can work just fine in a 4-pin usage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Took the battery over to the other parts store in town. NAPA this time. Asked to have it tested under load. Even got a printout this time. Says 13.4V, rated 600CCA, measured 590CCA, GOOD & PASS, state of health 98%, state of charge 100%.... Even bought a new starter relay($17)...still no go.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

dslranger wrote:
Took the battery over to the other parts store in town. NAPA this time. Asked to have it tested under load. Even got a printout this time. Says 13.4V, rated 600CCA, measured 590CCA, GOOD & PASS, state of health 98%, state of charge 100%.... Even bought a new starter relay($17)...still no go.

Did they check the alternator for you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

No I have not taken alternator off yet. Even if the alternator was bad, wouldn't it stil at least start with a fully charged battery?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes it would, unless the battery voltage drops to zero under load, because the battery has failed. This is possible, but not likely, as the 13 volts is higher than failed or failing batteries are usually able to display. A load test is better for determining.

But with a good battery and all else working, a diesel like the CRD can run with NO alternator at all for at least about 50 miles of driving (possibly a lot more) before the battery is drained. The only thing using the power is the computer and any accessories you have on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the drivers side raised up enough to crawl under it & check tightness of starter wire connections. They feel plenty tight. I may have to take it in to a dealer & do a diagnosis.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

geordi wrote:
Yes it would, unless the battery voltage drops to zero under load, because the battery has failed.

I haven't tried that on the CRD yet, but I had a Subaru that would not crank if the alternator/regulator failed. Not sure what the logic was behind that.

I like geordi's idea of swapping relays...cheap and helps omit one possible failure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:29 am 
LOST Addict

dslranger wrote:
Got the drivers side raised up enough to crawl under it & check tightness of starter wire connections. They feel plenty tight. I may have to take it in to a dealer & do a diagnosis.

Please don't do that - it will end up costing you more money than you can ever imagine, especially when they blame the paint color for causing the failure.

Dealers aren't a good option ever. They are universally incompetent.

Please try swapping the relays and let us know what happens. There are still a couple other things to try that are MUCH cheaper, and you have to know that a dealer will always aim for the most expensive problem first, rather than do any practical diagnostics.

This engine WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO CRANK if the computer is not able to properly run through its power-on-self-test. This isn't like the old systems where you turned the key and that mechanically powered a starter relay that sent power directly to the starter. This is ALL computer controlled. When you turn the key, you "request" a start from the computer, and the COMPUTER decides to send power to the relay or not - If the airbags were blown, for example, the engine would be allowed to crank approximately 1/4 rotation, and then the computer would cut the power. Why? To prove the engine could turn, for some reason. But the COMPUTER decides whether the engine is allowed to run or not.

You have an electrical problem, and it is not in the starter. What you could do, is follow that heavy power lead up to the top where it connects, and with the key in the run position, jump power to that starter feed wire - this is a more complex version of hotwiring the car, but it would prove that the starter worked. If the ASD relay isn't working however - The engine won't start because the injectors won't have any power to fire and won't be told when to fire by the computer.

See how everything is connected to the computer? Why would the starter stop working, and that make the engine stop running WHEN IT WAS RUNNING / DRIVING? It wouldn't. This is computer related, or power related. Period. But a dealership is less equipped to test that out, than to tell you that $random$ part is broken, and that will cost you $$$$ before they try the next spin of the part-o-matic wheel.

Right now, however, because you have so many things during startup that are NOT happening, and the CRD died while it was driving... The ASD relay is really the most likely suspect. It isn't the crankshaft or camshaft relays, because while they will cut the engine off while running, those won't stop the engine from cranking until after it HAS cranked at least 3 seconds. Much of the rest of the electrical system will still allow the engine to crank, or will throw codes at you. That is the next thing to try if the ASD relay doesn't help - pull whatever codes may be there, and let us know. THEN, we can really get into diagnostics.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I swapped the ASD relay for a blower motor relay & it didn't start. I used a screwdrive to jump from the starter to the solenoid and the solenoid engaged. I got the alternator off today but the NAPA store couldn't get their tester to work on it. He tried entering the part number of the altinator into the test unit & it showed up as a fault. Then he tried the part numbers for the gas engines but the pigtail wouldn't match up. It may take a couple days for me to find someone that can test it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok, at least we have more information now - So the starter works, it just isn't being sent the power by the computer. Good, that eliminates one thing. Jumping the starter also says that the battery is strong, so that is eliminated. You should have plenty of power.

The alternator being good or bad is a secondary issue right now, but you can start the motor without it being in the engine anyway - Everything essential is driven by the timing belt.

Let me do some thinking about what else could be going on right now. With the engine not running, it will be difficult to know if there are any codes b/c the MIL comes on because the engine isn't running... So you will have to use a code scanner to check the computer.

Crankshaft and camshaft sensors will allow the engine to crank (at least a bit) even if they are bad. So that isn't the cause right now.
I don't *THINK* the keyswitch could be the problem, because that wouldn't make the engine shut down while driving.

Kind of a long shot idea, but can you try rotating the motor by hand? It is a 21mm socket into the center of the crankshaft pulley, rotate clockwise as you are looking at the front of the motor. That will at least validate that the engine didn't somehow swallow a valve or the belt (for some reason) broke and jammed the motor.

Check fuse 14 in the panel inside the driver's door - Just for giggles, that fuse powers the engine computer and the transmission computer and the AC clutch... But not the body computer, which drives everything ELSE that you could use while the engine is off. If the AC clutch popped that fuse, then that would (in theory) kill the motor pretty fast too.

If none of this leads to anything, then I'm a bit stumped at the moment... So it doesn't want to crank *at all* still?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

Disconnect battery. Remove ECM connector. Clean with electrical contact cleaner. Reinstall ECM connector.

Worth a try.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I agree it doesn't "sound" like key shaft or ignition switch but that's easy enough to check see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61233&p=678574&hilit=+brother#p678574

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:02 am 
LOST Newbie

My brother in law has an OBDII scanner. Will that work with my rig? What does MIL stand for?
I probably won't get the alternator checked until wednesday.