It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Shudder | 06 CRD Ltd.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's all in archives, folks - do a search here for any topic you're concerned with, and voila............................

However, I will reiterate here: Suncoast takes the 5.7L HEMI TC, adds Kevlar clutch material, welds on a machined billet front cover, does some other proprietary stuff, and out the door you go, ready to put your 1500 RAM HEMI terror on the dragstrip at up to 8000rpm - not even needed for the CRD KJ - when I revealed the pertinent info many solar circumnavigations ago, the HEMI version was $178 across the counter - as worldwide demand suddenly increased, the over-the-DCJ-counter price spiraled upwards toward $500, and it became six of one, half-dozen of the other which TC was more available without backorder - 'course, if bragging rights is all yer after, go fer the one with capital letters, rather than a just a common every day part number.................

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Does the 2009 Grand Cherokee (or other years) share the same transmission & Torque Converter as the CRD Liberty's?
DGQ-5-SPD Automatic 545RFE Transmission

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Closest answer I can offer is this: 545RFE would indicate same transmission, but 4.7L TC is similar to KJ 2.8L version - later GC's were optionally equipped with 5.7L Hemi engine - only the 5.7L TC would provide suitable performance upgrade so only fer-sure answer would be to cross-reference the early RAM 5.7L P4736587AC and later RAM and GC 5.7L TC part numbers

I notice your join date is prior to mine, so maybe you read thru this as it occured in late '07, but a refresh is usually a good excercise when questions arise, later:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25447

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Out of necessity I swapped my transmission with another one of my Jerrod
Jeeps. It is a 2013+ factory mopar reman with a Suncoast, 30k miles, and perfect looking fluid.. A quick learn smoothed out the shifting temporarily, but it shudders worse than the hemi I had in there. It's just as bad as the original torque converter....
Transgo it? Shouldn't all that be upgraded already?
I am beginning to think that the GDE Ecotuned TCM doesn't like my ecm.

Or, will this take longer than 3 weeks for the transmission to learn? I start it at the top of the hill and roll down hill a couple of miles in 2nd, and other weird off road driving. It goes from shifting perfect, to hard in 2-3 and 3-4, and if I put it in neutral on a big grade, the shift at 60mph back in to 4 or 5 is rough. I can't do my manual swap fast enough...

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
Jeeps. It is a 2013+ factory mopar reman with a Suncoast, 30k miles, and perfect looking fluid.. A quick learn smoothed out the shifting temporarily, but it shudders worse than the hemi I had in there. It's just as bad as the original torque converter....

Or, will this take longer than 3 weeks for the transmission to learn? I start it at the top of the hill and roll down hill a couple of miles in 2nd, and other weird off road driving. It goes from shifting perfect, to hard in 2-3 and 3-4, and if I put it in neutral on a big grade, the shift at 60mph back in to 4 or 5 is rough. I can't do my manual swap fast enough...

That Ecotune TCM lugs the crap out of it. The only reason I dont have more issues is because I am at altitude. I honestly dont like it and am probably gunna return it to have it flashed with a 65mph or 70 mph version of the tow tune.

Or if GDE could do a retune of a Ram TCM so that it doesnt upshift above 4k rpm, that would be sweet.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:31 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

That Ecotune TCM lugs the crap out of it. The only reason I dont have more issues is because I am at altitude. I honestly dont like it and am probably gunna return it to have it flashed with a 65mph or 70 mph version of the tow tune.

Or if GDE could do a retune of a Ram TCM so that it doesnt upshift above 4k rpm, that would be sweet.

Hmm, good point. I actually really like most of the tune, but I've been driving like a grandma specifically for mileage, and I forget sometimes that my jeep is programmed for 32" tires, so I'll fix that and hopefully solve the shifting problem, as it shifts fine if I accelerate like a normal person, or rapidly.
But the shudder has me worried??

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:11 pm 
LOST Addict

The Eco tune is a bit annoying on big grades, but I usually only have one to contend with. If you have nothing but big grades I can totally see something else being better. If you're always over the lock up speed of the stock tune then it may be OK.
You think the fact that mine is programmed for 32's is messing with the shifting?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Does it shudder with OD-off?

You can try adding a sonnax line pressure booster to see if that helps.
Or maybe test it with a Hemi TCM.

AFAIK, my TC is stock. Replaced as part of F37 recall.
I've had shudder issues off and on ever since I started messing with the ECM tunes.
I'm currently running a Yeti stage 4 hot tune, Hemi TCM, and sonnax booster, and I'm not getting any shudder.
Not even under hard acceleration up a small hill in 5th gear.
But then, FL doesnt really have much for mountains.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:31 pm 
LOST Addict

It does, right at the usual spot 48mph-shift. I've swapped the entire transmission and TC twice :grim: at least I'm getting fast at it :ROTFL:

I think the fact that I'm programmed for 32's and running stock size tires (with 2" spacers) might not be helping, but I fear the dealership like the plague. I've been meaning to ask gde if they will change that for me. As much as I hate the spacer set up, it works really well

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:
The Eco tune is a bit annoying on big grades, but I usually only have one to contend with. If you have nothing but big grades I can totally see something else being better. If you're always over the lock up speed of the stock tune then it may be OK.
You think the fact that mine is programmed for 32's is messing with the shifting?

I think the tcm shifts at a certain speed no matter what, so if being programmed for 32" tires throws off your speedo then yes. If you are on smaller tires than it's probably shifting at a lower actual speed.

Yes I climb hills constantly and it's constantly gear hunting. It will lockup in 5th but won't have the power and will kick down to 3rd. then it has more than enough power so I let up and it just shifts back to 5th locked. It will repeat this cycle over and over. I either have to stay below 59 mph to keep it in 4th or speed up to like 65-70mph to get some extra HP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:41 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

I think the tcm shifts at a certain speed no matter what, so if being programmed for 32" tires throws off your speedo then yes. If you are on smaller tires than it's probably shifting at a lower actual speed.

Yes I climb hills constantly and it's constantly gear hunting. It will lockup in 5th but won't have the power and will kick down to 3rd. then it has more than enough power so I let up and it just shifts back to 5th locked. It will repeat this cycle over and over. I either have to stay below 59 mph to keep it in 4th or speed up to like 65-70mph to get some extra HP.

Lol, yeah, that shifting back into 5th versus 4th is a nightmare! Add the shudder to that and I'm saying to heck with it and setting cruise at 45 and crawling over the grade :ALONE:

I think you're right about the early shift, which I actually love for the mpg's, but if it's causing the TCM to get confused, then that won't do. I'm tired of the speedo being off by 5+ anyhow

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Does "The Shudder" feel kind of like driving over a rumble strip at the side of the freeway?

If so, then I think I've got it. Felt something like that when merging on a shakedown run around town, but when I went back I didn't see any rumble strip.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sort of. Easy check is if you feel what you think is shudder then immediately back off the go pedal just a bit. If that immediately cures the "problem" you just experienced shudder.

Comments based on 2 very minor episodes in my Son's 06 fully loaded pulling a fully loaded 5X8 uHaul trailer up a bit of a grade at interstate speeds and one major episode in my 05 right after installing the GDE stage II turbo while still running and OEM torque converter.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
to heck with it and setting cruise at 45 and crawling over the grade

If you are gonna do that, at least hit the button on the shifter and go OD-off.

With a stock TCM, with TC should lock up at 38mph with OD-off.
If you get shudder with OD-off, then you are either moving a very heavy load or something is wrong with the transmission.

I've driven my CRD through steep mountains in NC and it's very hard to induce shudder when OD-off (locked in 3rd gear).