It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: help broke down
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As I recall the 545RFE transmission can, within limits, adjust it's shift points to your driving "style" so that holding low gear longer may simply reflect the beginning of the transmission's learning curve.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:13 am 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
As I recall the 545RFE transmission can, within limits, adjust it's shift points to your driving "style" so that holding low gear longer may simply reflect the beginning of the transmission's learning curve.

I believe that is a true statement. I have not had it do that again since.

I am still pondering the question of SHOULD I contact Keith and get my ECo tune changed from a Plain ECO to Full Torque ECO.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:26 am 
LOST Addict

mikey1273 wrote:
papaindigo wrote:

I believe that is a true statement. I have not had it do that again since.

I am still pondering the question of SHOULD I contact Keith and get my ECo tune changed from a Plain ECO to Full Torque ECO.

That depends on what torque converter they installed with the transmission. If Jasper shipped the trans and TC as a complete unit you may have to contact Jasper to find out.
But I'm sure they will just say that its built to OEM specs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I tried asking Jasper. The response i got by email was that my vin required 545rfe which is a stronger unit than 42rle also used in the 2006 liberty. DUH! I know that... 42rle is a gasser tranny. So I replied Thanks I know that but I want to know the specific toque rating since this is a diesel vehicle capable of more than 300 ft. pound of torque output....... waiting for the answer if there will be one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Jasper says they install all new parts and have upgraded the torque converter to the updated version

I'd ask Jasper to translate this statement into plain English especially as it relates to "updated version" as there are several variations on what this means:
1. the first OEM update replaced the very early TC that had a plastic part that died moments after the vehicle left the dealer's lot with one without the plastic part. The "upgraded" TC was stock on all but the very early 05s thru the end of the 06 model year and was the TC installed if a vehicle got a new one as part of the F-37 recall. This TC is "ok" in that it will handle the output of an F-37 detuned ECU and TCM or a GDE EcoTune and GDE TCM flash with care (e.g. if you get any shudder hit the OD button to take the load off the drive train and things will be fine)
2. the 2n OEM update does not technically apply to any 05/06 models rather it's the TC, DCJ should have used in the first place, that was used in 07 and later models. This is referred to as the "Euro" because it was 07 and later models were export only. The Euro has stronger springs than the first OEM update and seems to handle most anything thrown at it with the possible exception of GDE's Stage II turbo. A number of folks and replaced the first OEM TC update with the Euro. If Jasper installed this TC you are in good shape.
3. even stronger options such as the SunCoast which are as bullet proof as a TC can be. If Jasper installed something similar you are in great shape.

I'm essentially positive your former TC was not the unit with the plastic part mentioned in 1 above. More likely it was the F-37 one mentioned in 1 above. If so if it fact, I'm inclined to doubt it, they really upgraded your TC you might have gotten luck and got a Euro otherwise they did not really upgrade your TC.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:52 pm 
LOST Addict

my build date is late in 11/05 so I believe I never had the plastic part. They are now telling me they re-manufacture the converters in house to the manufactures current spec. I ask what is the torque rating that is and was told it will do what its is supposed to do. I called them and asked more questions but they say they need to call me back. the guy was helpful and did seem to try to find what I was asking. it seems most customers do not ask this much of them.

I only have the ECO tune not the full torque version..... seems I will be safe with that until I can get more detailed info out of them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:41 pm 

For comparison if you get the numbers from Jasper? (And Jasper is a good company, I have dealt with them in the past)

Stock Mopar OEM TC is rated for 300 ft. lbs. max (406 Nm)
Mopar Euro TC is rated for 400 ft. lbs. max (~ 542 Nm)
Suncoast CRD-1ES TC is rated for 600 ft. lbs. max (813 Nm)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WWDiesel wrote:
For comparison if you get the numbers from Jasper? (And Jasper is a good company, I have dealt with them in the past)

Stock Mopar OEM TC is rated for 300 ft. lbs. max (406 Nm)
Mopar Euro TC is rated for 400 ft. lbs. max (~ 542 Nm)
Suncoast CRD-1ES TC is rated for 600 ft. lbs. max (813 Nm)

Think your stock TC torque rating is way off if you all are right and have the same TC as used behind HEMI's.Would be closer to 500lbs-ft for the stock regular TC since the 45RFE/545RFE was used by the earlier SRT Jeeps and your regular HEMi's with the 45RFE/545RFE trans was rated close to and over 400lbs-ft or torque.Also the 2.8 puts out more then 300lbs-ft stock.

And why you don't want the manual trans,they have to majorly detune the engine since the 6 speed(which can handle more torque then the 5 speeds) is only rated for 272lbs-ft input torque.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:50 am 
LOST Addict

Well if tjkj2002's right and they just put in some converter that would handle a HEMI V8 like he says I'd think I should be good to go. I'm waiting for the callback when they collect more information. As I said they don't seem to be ready for customers asking such technical questions. people that man the phones and email are not prepared.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:37 am 
LOST Addict

I finally got an answer from Jasper.

They tell me the TC will meet OEM specs. I then asked is that the 300 Ft*pound max of the original spec or the updated spec for the TC Chrysler began to offer and a replacement in 2009. they say that Chrysler does not share the engineering specs with them but they re manufacture in house with new line plates installed on the piston and dyno tested. torque rating will be at least the 300 ft* pound is what I'm told. So they probably did not upgrade me to the newest TC rating.
Now I guess no full torque ECO tune for me.... I will have to stay with the ECO tune that is installed.

I'm a little worried the TC will fail but they have a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and I upgraded it to the premium warranty and I'm going to hope for the best. If anything happens I suppose I can push for a Euro TC as part of the warranty repair.