It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help broke down
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Broke down on the side of the pa turnpike with camper in tow. Driving along fine and suddenly seemed like transmission got bumped out of drive but isn't. Transmission fluid seems full. Only odd thing that happened was just before that the tpm light came one and consol said check tpm system. What could it be?

Post subject: Re: help broke down
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

I wish I could help!

I assume you've tried the usual things...shifting into reverse then into drive? Lower gears? Making sure the transfer case isn't in neutral?

TPM warning seems like a red herring, but...I don't like coincidences. Did you check the tire pressures to see if the warning is legit or not?

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Didn't check tires but transfer case seems to be in 2 wheel drive. It will not go in forward or reverse.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:42 pm 
LOST Addict

If it won't engage forward or reverse and trans fluid is full, sounds like either your transmission pump or torque converter has let go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks flash I will tell the shop to possibly look at that as the failure in the morning

The fluid is full. And was changed with filters less than 15,000 miles ago by a dealer.

Question is how expensive is either repair.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:02 pm 
LOST Member

what mile marker /exit are you at?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:08 pm 
LOST Addict

The jeep broke at mile 72 on 476 south just before the moghoning tunnel. This is on the north east part not the main east west part. Its now in Leighton pa.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

Check under the Jeep and look to see the cable to the transfer case hasn't popped off. It is longshot that it popped off and the xfer case shifted into neutral. I did have the cable pop off on me once.

When my torque convertor failed it was fairly violent. The vibration was so bad that it caused a u-joint to fail.

While you are under there, check to make sure you have a rear driveshaft ;-)

JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING...A SPLIT PICKUP FILTER WILL DRAW AIR AND NOT FLUID INTO THE FRONT PUMP. Drop the pan and check the flat filter carefully at the seam...also make sure it didn't drop and unseat itself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:28 am 
LOST Addict

Checked all those items. No evidence of a leak but on level ground it was a few quarts low. Then it won't engage in any gear. In hindsight I had it hesitate to go in reverse a few times in the past. The shop says the transmission is toast my walet don't want to buy that but it's away from home and seems likely to be true.

I'm getting a rebuilt transmission from Jasper installed. Not cheap but it does come with a good warranty and Jasper is a good company that seems to have a good reputation for decades. I spoke with them and the new one will have the updated torque converter and about 14 other updates from what Chrysler put I'm it when the jeep was new. I should have it back next week. I was told my new trans is in production and testing at the Jasper plant now. I will post how it goes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:48 am 
LOST Addict

mikey1273 wrote:
Checked all those items. No evidence of a leak but on level ground it was a few quarts low. Then it won't engage in any gear. In hindsight I had it hesitate to go in reverse a few times in the past. The shop says the transmission is toast my walet don't want to buy that but it's away from home and seems likely to be true.

I'm getting a rebuilt transmission from Jasper installed. Not cheap but it does come with a good warranty and Jasper is a good company that seems to have a good reputation for decades. I spoke with them and the new one will have the updated torque converter and about 14 other updates from what Chrysler put I'm it when the jeep was new. I should have it back next week. I was told my new trans is in production and testing at the Jasper plant now. I will post how it goes

A few quarts low?
Transmission wont engage if its low on fluid.
Where did the fluid go?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Great question. I'd like to know. They were not pulling my chain I seen it. One theory I have is that a while back I had the fluid changed at one of the dealers in my area. I'm wondering if they might have put the amount a gasser would hold in and I was driving low for months. That would be hard to prove.

The dealer that did that I have not been back too as the other has a diesel mechanic that knows the CRd but is a little farther away. I have heard a few fishy stories about the dealersship that did the trans fluid change so I will think hard about going back.

What ever caused it I just want to get recoved from inop status and not be driving a rented Kia rio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mikey1273 wrote:
Great question. I'd like to know. They were not pulling my chain I seen it. One theory I have is that a while back I had the fluid changed at one of the dealers in my area. I'm wondering if they might have put the amount a gasser would hold in and I was driving low for months. That would be hard to prove.

The dealer that did that I have not been back too as the other has a diesel mechanic that knows the CRd but is a little farther away. I have heard a few fishy stories about the dealersship that did the trans fluid change so I will think hard about going back.

What ever caused it I just want to get recoved from inop status and not be driving a rented Kia rio

If it was a few qts low then it would not have driven either,as much as 1qt low will effect how the trans operates and you would have noticed.No such thing as }putting in what the gassers take" since some gas KJ's came with the same trans as you have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:15 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
mikey1273 wrote:

The dealer that did that I have not been back too as the other has a diesel mechanic that knows the CRd but is a little farther away. I have heard a few fishy stories about the dealership that did the trans fluid change so I will think hard about going back.

What ever caused it I just want to get recovered from inop status and not be driving a rented Kia rio

If it was a few qts low then it would not have driven either,as much as 1qt low will effect how the trans operates and you would have noticed.No such thing as }putting in what the gassers take" since some gas KJ's came with the same trans as you have.

I don't know with out looking what if any difference in different transmission fluid capacities there are with out looking. I do know I seen no problem and was cruising along on the approach to the Leigh tunnel with camper in tow no sign of trouble all week until it dropped out of gear and would not engage in anything but park. The reason for the failure I suppose will be a mystery. I see also mine is not the only recent transmission failure.

The other idea that was put out not by me was the fluid boiled or foamed out the top. I didn't smell anything odd like I would think I would if that happened. Maybe some other clue will show when it's fully removed from the vehicle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

hopefully your coolant doesn't look like a strawberry milkshake. The trans cooler could have burst in the radiator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 am 
LOST Addict

RockyMountainYote wrote:
hopefully your coolant doesn't look like a strawberry milkshake. The trans cooler could have burst in the radiator

I would think the shop would have checked that but I will ask just to be sure. I don't want the new transmission being ruined.

If that did happen would coolant not make it in to the transmission also?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:41 am 
LOST Addict

mikey1273 wrote:
RockyMountainYote wrote:

I would think the shop would have checked that but I will ask just to be sure. I don't want the new transmission being ruined.

You wont have to worry about that. The transmission cooler is not inside the radiator, its part of the lower portion of the AC condensor.
If the transmission fluid somehow became mixed the coolant it could only be the act of some strange "dark magic." If this is the case, consult an exorcist or the Ghost Hunters.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:12 am 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
mikey1273 wrote:
RockyMountainYote wrote:

You wont have to worry about that. The transmission cooler is not inside the radiator, its part of the lower portion of the AC condenser.
If the transmission fluid somehow became mixed the coolant it could only be the act of some strange "dark magic." If this is the case, consult an exorcist or the Ghost Hunters.

Good to know I wasn't sure if it was in the radiator or not.... it is on some trucks like Nissan Frontier and I heard of that being an issue. I did ask them and was told they flushed the cooler and lines to clean and check for leaks in prep for the new trans.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:17 am 
LOST Addict

So since I will have a new transmission and Jasper says they install all new parts and have upgraded the torque converter to the updated version..... Any thoughts on updating my GDE tune to full torque ECO tune?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I knew that, sorry for the mis-advice! :oops:

flash7210 wrote:
mikey1273 wrote:
RockyMountainYote wrote:

You wont have to worry about that. The transmission cooler is not inside the radiator, its part of the lower portion of the AC condensor.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I went up and got the Jeep back yesterday from Leighton,PA @ Frank's service center where it was towed to. The new transmission seems to be great. I towed the pop up home with it too. Shifts smooth, it did seem to hold a lower gear once when passing longer than I remember and when you put it in reverse or drive I can really feel it engage and want to go more than before. I never seen ay posts about anyone getting a re-manufactured trans in the CRD from Jasper they seem like a good company and all so I'm hoping for the best.