It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tranny shudder or engine issue?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:40 am 
LOST Member

Had my crd about two weeks. I decided to take it in a road trip this weekend. 300 miles from home I pull into a hotel and shut it off. No vacancy so i head to the next one. When I get to the road and accelerate it starts to shudder very bad . I limp it six miles to the next hotel. When I stop at lights it is hardly running and misses very bad at low rpms. I park and shut it off. I restart and it misses very bad and dies. I do this three times. Fourth time it starts and idles fine. Read some posts that suggest air in fuel. Is that my problem? I am 300 miles from home and planned to go further. Should I call a wrecker and go home or continue the trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Tranny shudder or engine issue?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:10 am 
LOST Member

It's not tranny shudder. Is there a check engine light? Have you tried bleeding the fuel head? If you do need to tow it home, you should look into renting a uhaul and trailer. It will probably be cheaper than a tow truck.

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:29 am 
LOST Member

Mike92104 wrote:
It's not tranny shudder. Is there a check engine light? Have you tried bleeding the fuel head? If you do need to tow it home, you should look into renting a uhaul and trailer. It will probably be cheaper than a tow truck.

thanks for the reply. i made it the rest of the way and home with no issues. i am 99% sure it was a fuel issue. whether it was air or a clogged filter i dont know yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

npkdm - comments:
1. it would be good to update your information with your home location as that's helpful for those who might be able to help if you are nearby.
2. have you read the NOOB guide and what's the status of your timing belt (must be changed at 100,000 miles but should be changed IMHO at least every 6-7 years even if you have not hit a 100K mile intereval)
3. could be a air in fuel issue. Do you have the 2n gen fuel filter head (right side heater plug will be bright blue). If not see PN in NOOB guide and get the new filter head and new wiring pigtail; it comes with a new filter and WIF sensor installed.
4. could be the transient runs like :furious: problem that a few of us have experienced. In my case - briefly shut off engine; cranked up and ran like cr%p would barely move; ran a couple of hundred feet; shut off and restarted no improvement; limped ca 1/2 mile to parking lot; repeated off/on no help; shut down opened hood to look for issues and bleed filter head (got no air); closed hood; cranked up and ran fine; symptoms have not repeated.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:18 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
npkdm - comments:
1. it would be good to update your information with your home location as that's helpful for those who might be able to help if you are nearby.
2. have you read the NOOB guide and what's the status of your timing belt (must be changed at 100,000 miles but should be changed IMHO at least every 6-7 years even if you have not hit a 100K mile intereval)
3. could be a air in fuel issue. Do you have the 2n gen fuel filter head (right side heater plug will be bright blue). If not see PN in NOOB guide and get the new filter head and new wiring pigtail; it comes with a new filter and WIF sensor installed.
4. could be the transient runs like :furious: problem that a few of us have experienced. In my case - briefly shut off engine; cranked up and ran like cr%p would barely move; ran a couple of hundred feet; shut off and restarted no improvement; limped ca 1/2 mile to parking lot; repeated off/on no help; shut down opened hood to look for issues and bleed filter head (got no air); closed hood; cranked up and ran fine; symptoms have not repeated.

I have read the noob guide, just haven't added a sig yet. The timing belt is due to be changed. I am guessing that the dealer isn't going to be cheap replacing it so I plan to do it myself after a little more education. The fuel filter head I haven't checked yet, I pushed on the primer after the incident but didn't inspect it thoroughly.

It happened just as I got up to 55 mph on the interstate. If I barely gave it throttle it ran smooth but decelerated. If I gave it half throttle it shuddered like crazy. If I held it to the floor it ran smooth but would barely hold 55. When I exited and stopped four miles later it felt and sounded like it was missing on one or two cylinders. Then I got it parked and shut it off and restarted it several times before the issue disappeared. The next morning I pumped the primer before starting. It was soft and took about ten pumps to get firm. It started great and hasn't shown a hint of a problem since. Should the primer be firm after sitting overnight or was that normal?

I have had a similar experience while driving a freightliner. Held it to the floor and the further I went the slower it was. Shut it off over night and the problem disappeared. After running an hour it happened again. Turned out to be the fuel filter was dirty. When sitting the dirt would settle to the bottom of the filter canister, then gradually get pulled up the filter surface while running and restrict fuel flow. No shuddering though.

It's been three days and 500 miles without a repeat incident. Transient? I don't know yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:46 pm 
LOST Member

I am now 99% sure it was air in the fuel system. I think it needs a filter too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
The next morning I pumped the primer before starting. It was soft and took about ten pumps to get firm. It started great and hasn't shown a hint of a problem since. Should the primer be firm after sitting overnight or was that normal?

Just checked my 05. The primer is firm, haven't bleed in ages, and only takes like 4-5 pumps to get to where it won't go down at all. That said if all you did was pump the primer bulb then you accomplished noting with respect to removing air; all that does is pack more fuel into the filter head and compress the air that's already there (just like pumping the brake pedal will do if there is air in the brake lines). To remove air in the fuel filter head you need to pump the primer until hard; crack the bleeder; close bleeder; repeat. Ideally with a piece of clear vinyl tubing on the bleeder leading to a catch bottle to a) allow you to see air come out until air no longer comes out and b) avoid dripping diesel all over everything.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Tranny shudder or engine issue?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:07 pm 
LOST Member

When I pumped the primer I was in hotel parking lot without tools. I was just curious what the primer should feel like after sitting overnight. Since then I have removed air through the bleed valve 3 times. I am leaning towards this being the problem and considering adding pump to the fuel system.