It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finding a bumper cover for a silver 2005 Limited? Sheesh.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:49 am 
LOST Junkie

Boy, I'm having a dickens of a time finding a new front bumper cover and the cheesy plastic impact absorber that goes underneath it. Everything I seem to see online looks like the Sport version (like the fascia has two fake tubes across it) and/or it has the fog light holes in it. Mine doesn't have either of those. Mine looks like this (or at least it used to):

Anybody know what the magic is to get that kind of bumper cover to come up in parts houses, or how to call boneyards and have any confidence that they'll have the right thing when they say "Oh yeah, we got that"?

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject: Re: Finding a bumper cover for a silver 2005 Limited? Shees
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Two things
1) get a copy of the 05 parts fiche from http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ - see figure 13-210 for various PNs
2) go to Amazon and search for "front bumper" to see some pictures based on PN

Sorry I cannot narrow down the color options but I can say w/wo tow hook merely means the tow hook spot has been cut out or it has not; if not it's easy enough to cut it out like I did. It appears that some bumper covers come with a molded in color but how to match that based on the parts fiche I don't know and other bumper covers come primed so they can be painted.

FYI if you are replacing these anyway try taking the existing ones off your vehicle as DCJ commonly has the PN stamped/molded into these parts somewhere.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:10 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks. I was able to find this at factorychryslerparts.com, but I can't make head nor tail of what all the additional codes are about:

"5JG93TZZAD
FASCIA. Front. . [MLA+XAE+XEA], Body Color Fascia [MLA], With Tow Hooks, [XEA], Paint as Required, With Body Color Fascia [MLA] or Graphite Fascia [MCU], With Tow Hooks [XEA], With Body Color Fascia, [MLS], and Toe Hooks, [XEA], With Body Color Fascia, [MLS], and Tow Hooks, [XEA].
FASCIA. Front. Trim: -O0, PO0, . "Body Color Fascias"+"No Color"+"Tow Hooks". Required: 001
FASCIA. Front. With Body Color Fascia, [MLS], and Toe Hooks, [XEA]. Trim: -O0, PO0, . "Body Color Fascias"+"No Color"+"Tow Hooks". Required: 001 $320.00"

So if I get the right part number (5JG93TZZAD) with the right code (MLA silver???), I theoretically should be able to call a boneyard up and ask for that? I bet most of those guys would look at me like I was speaking Czech.

I see these things in silver on the road all the time. There has to be a boneyard near Portland with one with an intact front end. Is it only the Limited from 2005-2006 that had that style? So if I call and they have a Sport or Renegade, those won't work? Anything like that would help me narrow it down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've owned an 05 Sport and 05 Limited and my son owns an 06 Limited and the all have the flat style front bumper cover. I think but by no means am I sure that the KJ Renegade model was the one with the tubular style front bumper.

Based on my build sheet MLA means the bumper is the same color as the body but I don't see how to order an MLA bumper in a specific body color. Paint as required gets you a bumper that you can paint any color you want.

If you can get the VIN of the Portland vehicle then any DCJ dealer (go to parts counter) should be able to get you a factory build sheet for nothing so you can see what that junked vehicle has. My silver 05 Limited I presume is the same color as yours although I'd suggest you get a copy of your build sheet to be sure. On mine the color listed is Code PS2 and QS2 "Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat" and the Fascias (bumper covers) are listed as MLA Fascias-Body Color. I suspect the reason for 2 paint codes is because you could order the body in one color and the fascias in another.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:22 pm 
LOST Addict

greiswig wrote:
Boy, I'm having a dickens of a time finding a new front bumper cover and the cheesy plastic impact absorber that goes underneath it. Everything I seem to see online looks like the Sport version (like the fascia has two fake tubes across it) and/or it has the fog light holes in it. Mine doesn't have either of those. Mine looks like this (or at least it used to):

Anybody know what the magic is to get that kind of bumper cover to come up in parts houses, or how to call boneyards and have any confidence that they'll have the right thing when they say "Oh yeah, we got that"?

The paint to match/limited style is what you need, the textured grey has the "tubes". Any front bumper for a 05+ Kj that is noted as paint to match will be the correct one.

Certifit used to carry the paint to match for about $90, maybe they are within driving distance from you?

http://www.certifit.com/images/catalogs ... g_2014.pdf

Last time I bought a bumper cover(2007 iirc) it was $95 from the dealer, I bet prices are higher now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:24 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
I've owned an 05 Sport and 05 Limited and my son owns an 06 Limited and the all have the flat style front bumper cover. I think but by no means am I sure that the KJ Renegade model was the one with the tubular style front bumper.

Based on my build sheet MLA means the bumper is the same color as the body but I don't see how to order an MLA bumper in a specific body color. Paint as required gets you a bumper that you can paint any color you want.

If you can get the VIN of the Portland vehicle then any DCJ dealer (go to parts counter) should be able to get you a factory build sheet for nothing so you can see what that junked vehicle has. My silver 05 Limited I presume is the same color as yours although I'd suggest you get a copy of your build sheet to be sure. On mine the color listed is Code PS2 and QS2 "Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat" and the Fascias (bumper covers) are listed as MLA Fascias-Body Color. I suspect the reason for 2 paint codes is because you could order the body in one color and the fascias in another.

The paint to match bumpers are not available in matching colors from the dealer. Sometimes when a vehicle is still in production you can get lucky with this, but 7+ years out its no longer the case.

For the XJ the matched paint plastics ended about 2 years after production ended......just slowly running out of inventory until NLA.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

Thanks, all. This is helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I also had a hard time to get a spray just to touch up few spots where it was a rust bubble. Dealer didn't have it... Sir Sam is right on the money. I think some high tech paint shops can do a match on the computer and get a fairly close match.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:44 pm 
LOST Member

You can get the bumper pre-painted from companies on Ebay for about $400, I had to do this twice for my Town & Country van due to different accidents. The color comes perfect as bright silver metallic PS2 is a standard color.

It is easy to get spray cans of the PS2 from aftermarket paint companies online. PM and I can tell you the one I use. I have the Town & Country van in silver PS2 and it matches perfect if you know how to paint and lay down metallic paint. One extra pass is not always good. Ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:23 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
I also had a hard time to get a spray just to touch up few spots where it was a rust bubble. Dealer didn't have it... Sir Sam is right on the money. I think some high tech paint shops can do a match on the computer and get a fairly close match.

It's fairly easy to goto a paint shop with a vehicle and your paint code and look at their chips to find the best match out in the daylight, however even the best paint matches for color and metallic grain benefit from blending across panels.

You can get a very good match, but if you spray just one panel you can see the transition. For best results you would blend to the panel next to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
thermorex wrote:

It's fairly easy to goto a paint shop with a vehicle and your paint code and look at their chips to find the best match out in the daylight, however even the best paint matches for color and metallic grain benefit from blending across panels.

You can get a very good match, but if you spray just one panel you can see the transition. For best results you would blend to the panel next to it.

Oh, I know what you're saying, that is skill. Skill that I don't have, when it's about painting, I suck. Plus you need some painting tools, nozzles, humidity controlled garage and lots of skills, especially with metallic paint. You should see my Cherokee, the half lower fenders and doors are painted with bedliner and spray paint over, to avoid fading, that jeep looks like a teenager hillbilly truck from 80s, lol...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.