It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Junkyard thermostat mod.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:23 pm 
LOST Member

I came from having a V-6 Ford Contour to having a Jeep. The thermostat on the Contour and early Mondeo Duratec is an aluminum housing external unit. There are similar ones on the duratec taurus also. The taurus might have a better outlet with a 90deg bend?

It has a bypass circuit too. I put in a reducer into its outlet of the bypass to have it fit my 3/8in hose I'm going to tee into the resivor bottle return on the top. This will give me plenty of bypass flow under the thermostat to let it heat up properly without having flow to the radiator.

In and out of the main thermostat hoses are 1.5in. The bypass outlet is 3/4in inside diameter (used 3/4npt tap) and 1.25in outside where it connected to the block.

Rockauto sells thermostats for the Ford Duratec V-6 in 180deg , 188deg, and 192deg. The one in my housing tested about 200 degrees to full open when I quick tested in water. It also didn't close fully until 188deg. I expect better performance with a new thermostat.

Edit: thermostat itself is also listed on Rockauto for Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Mazda, and Jaguar. Should be easy to find replacements.

Pictures: http://postimg.org/gallery/2vv6kxkmc/

Last edited by dennyb on Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Junkyard thermostat mod.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:19 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Sounds interesting... Pictures? What about the fact that the factory thermostat joins directly to the head, because that is the primary outlet from the engine?

The easiest solution has been the in-hose thermostat and 2 hose clamps. Stuff it into the hose, shove the hose over the factory thermostat nipple until seated (pushing the in-hose deeper into the hose, but maintaining contact with the factory thermostat)... Then hose clamp both in place - one clamp on the in-hose thermostat to keep it from migrating, and the other on the hose / factory nipple to keep the hose where it lives.

That thermostat sells for like $8. Search on "stant" here to find the number. No other parts or changes are required.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:42 am 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
The easiest solution has been the in-hose thermostat and 2 hose clamps. Stuff it into the hose, shove the hose over the factory thermostat nipple until seated (pushing the in-hose deeper into the hose, but maintaining contact with the factory thermostat)... Then hose clamp both in place - one clamp on the in-hose thermostat to keep it from migrating, and the other on the hose / factory nipple to keep the hose where it lives.

That thermostat sells for like $8. Search on "stant" here to find the number. No other parts or changes are required.

The trouble I have with the inline is that I will never know if the OEM has in fact failed fully open or just partially. Yes it will run cold in most circumstances, however it could in theory (and has happened to me on another vehicle) overheat under heavy towing, extreme heat, or the combo. For me to have confidence with this fix, the housing would have to be gutted of the old t-stat prior to installing the inline.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:35 pm 
LOST Member

Running good with the change. Last night I put it in with the original thermostat. Temp fluctuated too much from 1/2 to 3/4 on way home. This morning it stayed at 1/2 when I drove out for new thermostat. I bought a new stant 188deg thermostat for $7.41 with tax. The temp now stays at just under 1/2 on the guage.

This is a picture of the housing I used. Bottom is contour housing.
http://www.modularfords.com/threads/190 ... roved-flow

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

Interesting idea.
Without the Tee to your reservoir, how does the bypass line up with stock?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:54 pm 
LOST Member

I didn't replace the factory thermostat housing. I just used this inline on the upper radiator hose. I picked the hose on the right side of the coolant reservoir that goes to the original thermostat to connect my bypass. I kept both hoses since I'm using both thermostats. The hoses run parallel almost to the reservoir right now.
On the added thermostat the bypass is opposite the outlet fitting. The inlet is on the side of the "T-fitting" shape of the assembly. I probably would use a hose from the original thermostat to it with a molded elbow and rotate the thermostat to rest on top of the fan shroud if I did it over. The bypass fittings I added prevent me from using the plastic engine cover right now.

I looked and other Ford modular motors use a similar thermostat and housing including their trucks and mustangs. Curiously the mustang sometimes has it on the lower radiator/suction side of the water pump.

I drove the family out tonight to dinner and it stayed just left of 1/2 all the time and didn't seem to move much. The air temp was almost 70 this afternoon in W Michigan.

If I want it out all I need to do is buy a new upper radiator hose to change back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:41 am 
LOST Junkie

dennyb wrote:
I didn't replace the factory thermostat housing. I just used this inline on the upper radiator hose.

Yup, got the idea.
Since the Ford stat feeds from the side, I just wondered how you mated it to the Jeeps stat and lined up the bypass.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:02 pm 
LOST Member

Denny B,
Is this thermostat still working for you? Can you post some pics of the installation? Thanks.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:44 pm 
LOST Member

I have been running this for a while now with no problems. It fits a little tight and almost reached the back of the hood. I did clearence the engine cover corner next to this thermostat.

My Jeep runs with the guage just left of straight up. Scanner temps run from 188 to 195deg most of the time (192deg installed). I tried a Stant 188deg one first and it seemed to move too much above and below the temp. I think this is the one I bought http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search.oap?keyword=+4139 .

It doesn't overheat even with the grille partially blocked. I have coroplast sheet placed in the grille to have it heat up even quicker. Have had days up to 50deg after mod. I have great defrost even with the lowest temps in Nov near 15deg Fahrenheit.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2vv6kxkmc/