It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: brake pads ???
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 am 
LOST Member

Looking to put some new brake pads on my 05 CRD what type wood yall recomend ? :dizzy:

Post subject: Re: brake pads ???
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm fond of name brand ceramic.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

I like PowerSrop Evolution ceramic; that's what I put on all 4 corners of mine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have Akebono on mine. I like them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:44 pm 
LOST Junkie

I can't stand ceramics. I just put in semi-metallic in mine and like how much better they perform when towing and when descending long mountain grades when crossing the continental divide.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Drewd wrote:
I can't stand ceramics. I just put in semi-metallic in mine and like how much better they perform when towing and when descending long mountain grades when crossing the continental divide.

Yeah if you tow or live in very hilly area's semi-metallic is best.No 3/4 or 1 tone ever came with ceramic pads for this reason as they are not good for towing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:14 pm 
LOST Addict

MRausch82 wrote:
I have Akebono on mine. I like them.

Love my Akebonos. I'm putting them on all my vehicles. No dust, no squeal, and good bite.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

Liking the info yall good people

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:04 am 
LOST Addict

Brembo ftw! Especially rotors, no warping ever. Wouldn't use anything else if I have brembo. But also akebono is very good, but still not like brembo, lol.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:41 am 
LOST Newbie

I use Hawks on the race car. They are great! Lots of initial bite and good modulation. Figured I would try the street/SUV compound. I wouldn't go to anything else having used them for a year on the jeep now. No fade under towing, low dust and good pedal feel.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/-street/ ... -truck-suv

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
Brembo ftw! Especially rotors, no warping ever. Wouldn't use anything else if I have brembo. But also akebono is very good, but still not like brembo, lol.

There blanks are made in china,no better then the cheap rotors at advance auto.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:17 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
thermorex wrote:

There blanks are made in china,no better then the cheap rotors at advance auto.

What's not being made in China these days? Lol. I have had only great experiences with brembo, especially the rotors. I got 4 slotted cryo treated rotors from tire rack some years ago, each was about 120 bucks. Made in USA. Front ones warped in less than 20k miles. I switched with brembo, same front pads (hawk), no issues. I've been using brembo on my Cherokee for over 5 years (with akebono), no issues in over 50k miles. I'm one sold on brembo. I'm sure they are a bit overrated, but it's a brand that performs well all the time, you can't go wrong with them. So yes, they are way better than any rotor you buy from a parts store, Napa premium/gold line included, and my own experience proves that. The stopping power of the brembo rotors (with the same hawk performance pads) is about the same as with the cryo treated rotors that warped. I'd say very noticeable better than whatever Autozone / Autoparts sells (I had some cheap rotors while waiting to get the brembos). Stopping power while hot is also very good, especially when comparing with cheap knockouts from Autozone/Adv Autoparts.

Tj, btw, do you know of a good made in USA rotor brand? I'll gladly try something made here than overseas...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
Tj, btw, do you know of a good made in USA rotor brand? I'll gladly try something made here than overseas...

Napa's Ultra Premium rotors are made in the USA.

I run them on all 4 corners of my Town Car,warped the OEM front rotors within a week of driving it here in CO,after 9 months the Ultra Premiums have zero warp to them(use Adaptive One pads on all 4 corners also).Have there Ultra Premiums on the front of the KJ also(Black Magic pads) and zero warp after 10k miles and that's stopping 2000lbs+ more then your CRD's and 35" tires in the mountains.Sadly I can only buy one brand for my rear rotors and god knows where there made.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

X2 on the napa ultra premium rotors. I am running them on my 3/4 ton ford and the crd. I went through 2 sets of cheap rotors on the ford. They kept warping after a few 1000 miles. The ultra premium napas have been great for over 20k miles.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:21 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Napa's Ultra Premium rotors are made in the USA.

I run them on all 4 corners of my Town Car,warped the OEM front rotors within a week of driving it here in CO,after 9 months the Ultra Premiums have zero warp to them(use Adaptive One pads on all 4 corners also).Have there Ultra Premiums on the front of the KJ also(Black Magic pads) and zero warp after 10k miles and that's stopping 2000lbs+ more then your CRD's and 35" tires in the mountains.Sadly I can only buy one brand for my rear rotors and god knows where there made.

Thanks, will give them a try, my old fart 300sd needs some rotors, hopefully Napa has the ultra premium for this oldie...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:58 am 
LOST Member

Hawk is looking good :BANANA:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:24 am 
LOST Addict

MM53 wrote:
Hawk is looking good :BANANA:

The problem is not finding a good set of pads, but to find a good set of rotors that won't warp/fade with the pads, at least the problems I had with front breaks were related to good pads and improper rotors that went bad in 10-20k. The main issue may be the caliper drag due to the rubber boot that gets swollen and keeps the rotor hot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:59 am 
LOST Addict

Have people actaully had rotor warp with the CRD? It sounds like a lot of people are talking about warped rotors on the 3/4 trucks and lincoln towncars but none on the CRD. I ask because the Napa Ultra Premiums are almost 2x the cost of their regular premium rotors. Plus, Advance auto has a $50 off 125 deal right now. If I order my pads and rotor separately, I can do a full brake job with their platinum semi metallic pads for like $160.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:11 pm 
LOST Addict

My issues could have been caused by dragging front Brakes, that I fixed but still warped the rotors. Now, in my case, the rotors could have been already warped a bit, and it became more obvious as time passed by. I had same rotors front and rear (same brand and model) and only the front rotors warped, which leads me to believe the problem originated with front Brakes dragging. I now have brembo rotors and pads and don't have any issue, but could be because the root cause had been fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:12 pm 
LOST Member

Mine warped around 70K. Do not get cheap autozone rotors. They are cheap but warp quickly.

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.