It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD bucks, dash lights flicker, lightning bolt flashes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:17 am 
LOST Newbie

My wifes 05 liberty is fine for a while then it starts with the jerking and all the lights cut out. If you pull over and shut it off for a few minutes it starts up and is fine for a while again. (lightning bolt goes out) I just replaced the alternator but still the same. I cant find any wires that look bad, also it throws the PO158 hight voltage code.
Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Post subject: Re: CRD bucks, dash lights flicker, lightning bolt flashes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:03 pm 
LOST Addict

So you replaced the alternator but what about the battery? What condition is the battery in? Did you replace it too?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have not replaced the battery, I have removed both cables and cleaned them and that did not help. The battery was in it when we bought it 3 years ago. (red top Optima)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Assuming that its still the original battery, at 9 years old its way past its prime.
If the alternator is trying to charge a weak, old battery, that could explain the high voltage code.
I would get the battery tested.

FYI, I have never replaced an alternator without also having to replace the battery.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, I will have it tested and see how it does. It always starts good so I figured the battery was ok.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

This. I had the same problem with mine, and a fresh battery fixed it :) The Optima's corrode underneath their red caps. You'll be able to see this by examining the little circular caps on top. They'll look swollen or even be popping out of place. Great batteries though!! (although many will disagree, I have been very fortunate with em).

flash7210 wrote:
Assuming that its still the original battery, at 9 years old its way past its prime.
If the alternator is trying to charge a weak, old battery, that could explain the high voltage code.
I would get the battery tested.

FYI, I have never replaced an alternator without also having to replace the battery.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the advice so far, but after replacing the battery today with an 850 CCA Optima the problem has gotten better but not fixed yet, at one time when it was acting up I tought I smelled somthing burnt on the passanger side fender next to some form of control module. didn't smell like burnt wires but more like burnt grease or oil. I wonder if there is an engine to body ground in that area. I also thought about unpluging those harness and spraying the conectioins with electrical contact cleaner. As always and thoughts???
Thanks Scott