It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHITE SMOKE?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:11 pm 
LOST Member

Im experiencing white smoke at idol and acceleration. I replaced the fuel and air filters the hoses are tight and no antifreeze is leaking or missing from the reserve. I do have a gde eco tune. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bill

Post subject: Re: WHITE SMOKE?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Be helpful if you listed your GPS location - 58* here this morning, I'm sure it's cooler elsewhere - white vapor is unburned fuel, where fire went out B4 all fuel ignited - this can be caused by too little air (dirty air filter), too rich fuel (ECM, rail pressure sensor or solenoid), or simply cold ambients - if nothing major, white vapor usually clears up as engine comes up to operating temp - all this is handled by OEM ECM, but with everyone (thinking they know ever so much more than the engineers) messing with everything in the fuel injection system, this can be somewhat difficult to diagnose, even standing in close proximity to the KJ - need more info vis a vis your particular KJ:
+ air\fuel filters changed
- fuel quality\additives
+ ECM tuned to reduce fuel
- ECM hot-box installed
- EGR messed with
- FCV messed with
- MAP checked\cleaned
- MAF messed with

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:05 pm 
LOST Addict

If the white smoke only happens while the engine is cold, it's most likely a glow plug problem.
If you get white smoke all the time after being warmed up, something is seriously wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:25 pm 
LOST Member

Location is NJ 62 this morning.
Changed air and fuel filters today(farm and Napa).I have a Green diesel eco tune. Never messed with the egr. I replaced my intercooler ,a solenoid near air box and m.a.f sensor. Usually use Howe's additive.I do run off road diesel sometimes. I was driving on the highway for over an hour pulled over put it in park hit the gas pedal few times and smoke was still coming out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:28 pm 
LOST Member

Oops *fram*.not farm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What does your coolant temp gage indicate while this is occuring?

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Have you checked the oil level?
Sounds like the turbo may be leaking oil into the exhaust.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:52 pm 
LOST Member

Oil reading full

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:53 pm 
LOST Addict

If you are not loosing coolant and not loosing oil then it's a mystery.
Bad tank of fuel maybe?

I'd still check your turbo shaft for any wobble or play just to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Had a similar problem with my 2.8 CRD Euro Voyager. Basically the same engine that is in the Liberty and I get a lot of good info from you guys!

After a long trip my engine started running rough at idle. Under a load it was fine, except for excessive black smoke.

During startup in the morning had a lot of white smoke until it warmed up. Even after warmup it ran rough at idle. The problem was unburned fuel. Huh, why is it not burning all of the fuel? My hunch was that an injector was not fully closing causing smoke and a rough idle.

When these Bosch injectors go bad and don't fully close they will bypass the excess fuel back to the fuel injector pump. They are designed this way to prevent even more fuel from being dumped into the cylinder. In order to do this they are all interconnected via a low pressure return line on the top of the injectors.

It is fairly easy to trouble shoot this. You will have to McGiver some sort of test rig that connects the injector return lines into clear plastic bottles, preferably with graduated markings.

BOTTLE SETUP
This is just a picture I grabbed of the net to show the bottle setup.
Don't expect the bypass amount to be as much as it is here! Mine had only about 1 index unit difference after 2 minutes at idle.

Then start the engine and let it run for approx. a minute or long enough to see a difference. The returned quantity should all be about the same ( I think the book says about 5 percent of one another ). If you find one injector that is definitely returning more than the others, then suspect that it is faulty and not fully closing and therefore bypassing the excess.

New injectors are damned expensive. Here in Germany they run about 550 Euros. I looked on eBay Motors (search Bosch PN 0445110059 ) and found some used ones out of a motor that had only 77,000 km. Payed 75 Euros. Installed it and a new copper gasket washer and this solved my problem. No more smoke during cold start and a smooth idle and no more excess smoke when I punch it on the Autobahn.

Be careful removing the old hardened rubber hoses from the injector t-fittings, which are also hard and brittle. If you break a fitting you'll have to get a replacement from the dealer or Bosch. I have even seen nice aftermarket t-fittings and elbows available in aluminum.

Be sure to use a new copper washer.

Hope this helps.
jb

Yellow Top Optima 975 CCA Batt
TSB 18-011-09 Fuel Filter/Heater Fix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

In would suspect turbo failure too. It does not take much oil to make a ton of smoke. If it is your turbo, it'll probably catastrophically fail eventually and let you know for sure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:55 pm 
LOST Addict

One thing that can cause this is if the crankcase is not vented properly. Remove the oil filler cap and run. If the white smoke is gone, that is your problem.

DOC

PS: Drop something like an old cotton bath towel, crumpled up, on top of the filler neck so you will not have oil everywhere. The idea is to catch the oil without restricting the air flow.

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:14 pm 
LOST Member

Not discounting anything already suggested.
Only thing I can pick up from what you've written is that the "oil reading full".
If that means you fill to the "FULL" mark on the dipstick then you may be ever so slightly over-filling.
Specs are 6 litres and by measurement I've found that this is about 5/16" down from the full mark on dipstick.
On mine, I've etched a mark across the dipstick to keep an eye on the oil level between changes. Never does (yet).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:07 am 
LOST Member

Thanks everyone for your input. Smoke disappeared. Maybe it was too much oil or some realy bad diesel