It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Finally! I 'see' what you are talking about
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Let us know where you bought that valvoline MST stuff.
Seems like its only for sale in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:59 pm 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
It seems Keith opened Pandora's box with his oil, lol, he may not get back to any of us due to an infinite amount of follow up questions, lol.

He'll probably charge me double for the eco tune! :wink:

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:29 am 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
Let us know where you bought that valvoline MST stuff.
Seems like its only for sale in Europe.

I could swear I saw it at advance auto, but now, when I wanted to post the link, I see they have the mst only on 5w40, not 5w30. I'll do a little more research and post back.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:32 am 
LOST Addict

rancherman wrote:
thermorex wrote:
It seems Keith opened Pandora's box with his oil, lol, he may not get back to any of us due to an infinite amount of follow up questions, lol.

He'll probably charge me double for the eco tune! :wink:

I really don't see Keith doing that, but you never know. Lol, jk...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just FYI... I run a '07 Duramax (LBZ, pre-smog) and my gf has a low mileage '06 Liberty CRD. I am running Schaffer Supreme 9000 5w-40 in both (http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme-900 ... e-oil.html). I did a LOT of oil research on some of the diesel specific forums and I came to the conclusion that the diesel specific, fully synthetic Schaffer oil was a good way to go.

But I also believe in oil sampling and that gives me hard data to know what shape my oil is in and how long to go between oil changes. (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/)

And this weekend we finally installed the full torque Eco Tune in the gf's Liberty. She LOVES it! I don't know yet as she won't let me drive it yet! LOL! AND she did the entire tune install/upload herself. She's great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Without pointing too many fingers here, I believe that misusing oils has caused a lot of the turbo failures and blown lifters that we've seen on this board over the years.

Just my observations and thoughts. I know there are other quiet parties whom agree with me.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I agree with both previous posts - however, the above-mentioned oil is so much more expensive than the Chevron and Shell Diesel oils specifically formulated for TURBODIESEL service that you would need to run the KJ like an over-the-road 18-wheeler to equitably amortize the cost\mile
- 18-wheelers accumulate immensely greater mileage between changes because those miles do not include the continual stop'n'go conditions of the daily commute, and grocery runs, and school drop-off and pick-up, and all the short-tripping a passenger SUV endures between idle and low-speed operation on a day-to-week-to-month-to-year-to-decade (and century, eh) basis

Long-term over-the-road miles serve to burn-off the pollutants and contaminants that passenger-service engines regularly accumulate during normal stop'n'go operation

Turbo gasoline-fueled ratings are for less-harsh conditions, but were combined with the turboDiesel ratings because the turboDiesel-rated CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 oils for harsher conditions were more easily-available everywhere than those SJ-SL oils for turbo gasoline-only service

But, do not use any oil rated less than CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, formulated to survive passage thru the turbo center-cartridge at temperatures up to 1200*F and above
- not even to mention the oil-sprayed piston under-crowns required to reduce turbocharged crown temperatures

Some synthetics are rated for higher temps than that, with increased cost, but with avantage of, being lower viscosity but with increased lubricity, require less 'overhead' losses - 'nuther words, less over-all bearing\piston\camshaft friction and crankshaft rotational impedance improves power output

I used RPM DELO for a while, years ago, but it goes in dark and comes out darker, so I switched to SHELL ROTELLA because it goes in golden clear and slowly darkens during the first week, allowing me to compare for any worsening condition of the combustion process

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

Last edited by gmctd on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:26 pm 
LOST Member

I would never run a 0w/xx in any Diesel I have

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:48 pm 
LOST Addict

ibedonc wrote:
I would never run a 0w/xx in any Diesel I have

Why not?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:55 pm 
LOST Member

Good points gmctd..
Our oil is probably beat-up more in the small engines, mainly from the amount of oil in the pan! 7 quarts versus 7-15 gallons makes a pretty big difference on 'service life'...

On the parasitic losses, can you imagine the hp needed to spin any oil pump at 2000 rpm? When I used to pre lube new big block Chryslers, using a GOOD 1/2 inch electric drill, it was all she wanted to pull.. at a measly 250 rpm.... We burnt out a fair share of those old Craftsman drills in the day.

enter the 'all means necessary' to meet CAFE requirements.. voila! 'easier to pump oils'
The added benefits to this reformulation; better heat and oxidation properties, better lube properties, Better resistance to "todays" fuel contamination.. and drain- back- to pan has to be faster too, keeping oil in the pan where it needs to be.. not making the air thick for the crank to slice through.. All wrapped up in a tiny little oil pan that still fits under today's smaller vehicles..

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'