It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dash lights suddenly lit up
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:11 pm 
LOST Member

Out bombing around this morning.. and I just happened to look down at the dash.. the speedo and tach was just coming up from zero.. and all the indicator lights were on. Just like the cranking mode test.

I was running about 40 mph, I really cant remember now if the crd (oh, this is a 2006 liberty btw) was stumbling or not. I do remember I was not in the throttle.. coasting.. so wouldn't feel if it was not making power or not. I have no way of knowing if the power was off for a split second, or longer. I only saw the aftermath.

This jeep was bought last week, and has a new battery. I'll check the connections to see if I have a loose connection that may of 'cycled' the body electrical.
Any other potential areas needing investigation?

edit/addition.. There was a light growling coming from the engine compartment for a couple of seconds... would this be the alternator clutch going away.. and related to a burp in the electrical?

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

Post subject: Re: dash lights suddenly lit up
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

06 - check wiring harness behind fuel filter head for chaffed wires inside the bundle; light growling in the engine bay (presumably while running - if at shutdown may be FCV working) is likely alternator clutch. For latter pop plastic cover and look for red dust/crank up-at idle look down the serp belt to the serp belt tensioner. If red dust or serp belt tensioner dancing (as opposed to barely moving) alternator clutch is shot which will kill serp belt tensioner and later battery. Replace tensioner or entire alternator (might can find a $150 or so lifetime unit from line AutoZone)

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Which lights were on? Did they simply flash and then go off? Are you saying that the speedo and tach stopped reading for a second and then went back on? Was is wet out when this happened?

Give us some more details. I suspect that you have a wire grounding out somewhere or perhaps a bad CAN BUS under the battery. It's a thinnish rectangular silver module that receives the communication of all the sensors throughout the Jeep and sends them to the ECU (I think). If it stops transmitting, all of your gauges will die and the computer will light up the dash once it assumes it's no longer receiving info from the sensors. It's held on by two screws and the whole area was full of ice, snow, and rust.

I had both problems. I paid almost $800 to fix seven broken wires throughout the engine compartment last summer, and then I discovered that my can bus was rusted through. That was $1000 to replace and reprogram at the dealer. If it's all of your lights, then I would guess that it's the can bus, because my understanding is that all sensors have to go through there. Mine got worse to the point where it wouldn't recognize my key fob, and I couldn't kill the alarm. That was a nice tow bill. Then it wouldn't stay running after two seconds because it couldn't read the key code, then one night it locked the doors on me while running. That's supposed to be impossible. I almost broke a window with a rock I was so mad.

Everything is great now. If you have t change it, be sure they program it correctly. After mine was done, I couldn't use my sunroof, brights, or fog lights. I took it back and they said that they had forgotten to add solenoids or something.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:39 am 
LOST Member

Big Montana wrote:
Which lights were on? Did they simply flash and then go off? Are you saying that the speedo and tach stopped reading for a second and then went back on? Was is wet out when this happened?

Give us some more details. I suspect that you have a wire grounding out somewhere or perhaps a bad CAN BUS under the battery. It's a thinnish rectangular silver module that receives the communication of all the sensors throughout the Jeep and sends them to the ECU (I think). If it stops transmitting, all of your gauges will die and the computer will light up the dash once it assumes it's no longer receiving info from the sensors. It's held on by two screws and the whole area was full of ice, snow, and rust.

I had both problems. I paid almost $800 to fix seven broken wires throughout the engine compartment last summer, and then I discovered that my can bus was rusted through. That was $1000 to replace and reprogram at the dealer. If it's all of your lights, then I would guess that it's the can bus, because my understanding is that all sensors have to go through there. Mine got worse to the point where it wouldn't recognize my key fob, and I couldn't kill the alarm. That was a nice tow bill. Then it wouldn't stay running after two seconds because it couldn't read the key code, then one night it locked the doors on me while running. That's supposed to be impossible. I almost broke a window with a rock I was so mad.

Everything is great now. If you have t change it, be sure they program it correctly. After mine was done, I couldn't use my sunroof, brights, or fog lights. I took it back and they said that they had forgotten to add solenoids or something.

The best I can describe it is, I just happened to look down, (been watching the tach pretty closely since I just bought this jeep) and the tach and speedo were both sweeping up from zero. I was running about 40 at the time. At the same time, all the indicator lights were on for a few seconds.. (exactly like when you are cranking to start the engine.. computer self test?) The engine didn't die, in fact, it ran fine afterwards.

About 3-4 miles previously to this, I heard a light growling upon accelerating from about 10 mph.. lasted about 1 or 2 seconds.... until I backed out of the throttle ( I thought, maybe this is the start of what you guys are calling 'shudder'..) I was into the throttle about half when it did it... probably 2nd gear... I also was 'playing around' with having the esp turned off.. not really thrashing it.. but was checking out how much different the engine is when it's on or off. On gravel, it makes a huge difference on power to the wheels! I was in 2wd.
Back to story! so, I took it easy on it for the next 2-3 miles, running up to 40-45 mph.... and just started coasting down for my driveway when I seen the dash doing its thing.
The jeep has a 'Chinese' alternator.. looks fairly new. 1 or 2 years at best.
It is bone dry here.
This was not silky smooth roads... typical gravel, some ruts, some washboard.. not terrible, but not highway either.
I just got in from checking the alternator. no signs of red dust out the pulley.. or down the belt itself.
I had the AC on, but the headlights were off. So not too big a load on the electrical system.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:52 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
06 - check wiring harness behind fuel filter head for chaffed wires inside the bundle; light growling in the engine bay (presumably while running - if at shutdown may be FCV working) is likely alternator clutch. For latter pop plastic cover and look for red dust/crank up-at idle look down the serp belt to the serp belt tensioner. If red dust or serp belt tensioner dancing (as opposed to barely moving) alternator clutch is shot which will kill serp belt tensioner and later battery. Replace tensioner or entire alternator (might can find a $150 or so lifetime unit from line AutoZone)

growling was @ about 10 mph.. upon accelerating. I think it was in 2nd gear, and I hit it with about 1/2 throttle. It quit as soon as I backed out! My first thought was the start of the dreaded shudder symptom.. ( but in 2nd gear? no lock up then is there?)
I've read other posts here about the alternator clutch making weird noises on acceleration, but also quit on returning to idle. Makes sense to me; the clutch can only handle low rpm until it's finally shot.
Red dust is the ground up remains of the roller sprags? Who knows what material the Chinese used on this alternator... Bamboo? ha ha.

I'll check tomorrow about the dancing idler. Pretty bouncey is it?
As a preemptive strike, would it be good to do something with that loop of harness behind the filter head? ( I have the new head coming as we speak) Individually wrap each wire.. relocate the bundle... I am open for suggestions!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:57 am 
LOST Member

:roll:

Figured out what the 'growling' was this morning.
I went out and duplicated the same scenario from yesterday.. and it did it again. I had the ESP 'off' little jeep with skid mark light on all the time.

the noise is from the brake controller. I thought when the light was 'on', all 'safety' crap was 'off'.??
when it's 'on'.. engine management lowers torque when a wheel is spinning... right?

How are we supposed to cannonball through deeper snow or mud, when the computer is throwing out the anchor?

I didn't buy this jeep for terrorizing the roads.. but there ARE times when ya gotta 'go for it'

BTW.. belt idler looked ok.. only a little bounce. maybe 1/8 inch. Seems acceptable.
I'll check into the bundle of wires behind the filter this week.. I ordered the newer version and should be showing up soon.