It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally got my glow plugs done
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:28 pm 
LOST Addict

I've had one or more bad glow plugs for about nine months. Been putting off replacing them because I've been afraid of having one get stuck in the head.
I've done the weeks intake kit and I've had the glow plug controller unplugged for the last three months.
Today I finally replaced them with the Etecno 7v replacements.
All four plugs came out clean with no signs of breakage, chips, or cracks.

Engine was cold and hadn't been run for 24 hrs.
I sprayed each plug with PB blaster.

I noticed plugs 2 and 4 had some oil on them. I have no clue what it was but after sitting in the sun for awhile the oil seemed to evaporate.
Maybe it was just some of the PB stuff.

There was also some oil in my intake elbow. I thought this was strange because I run the EHM. I've cleaned all my intake hoses twice before and my inter cooler.
I guess I didn't clean the inter cooler well enough and that's where the oil came from. I have no other explanation for it.

Post subject: Re: Finally got my glow plugs done
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good to hear a success story with no damage on the GP replacement. I'm in the same boat as you (had them sitting in my garage for nearly a year...) and will hopefully get the courage to pop the new ones in soon.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:21 pm 
LOST Member

I also have a real good coating of oil on my weeks101 intake elbow, but I don not have a EHM or Provent. If I need to remove it, I make sure to get all of the oil residue off the hoses and hose ends so the silicone will "stick" to the aluminum before reassembling.

I replaced my glow plugs when I had the head off for a head gasket replacement, I had no broken bits off of mine.

With the oil in your intake, I would agree it is probably coming from old oil in your intercooler.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:19 am 
LOST Addict

Corvair and flash, how much oil do you have on the engine (dipstick level)? I have a provent on mine, and the oil drain from the provent goes under the jeep with a release valve, and I notice that when the oil is a little above the half mark, it doesn't spill anything. If I add oil till max, I can see few drips of oil under the jeep each time I drive it. Knowing that the dipstick shows less oil, I wonder if that "extra" oil is the one that gets spilled...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Glad to hear you had a smooth glow plug replacement procedure. I also recently replaced my dads with the etecnos they all came out without a hitch, only one showed a small chip in it of course carbon covered the broken tip so an older break.

As for oil in you're intake, I run the GDE tune, the EHM to the air box with a catch can inside. I too see oil in the intake elbow.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.