It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The story of my CRD and Thank you Green Diesel Engineering!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

The story of my CRD:

I purchased the vehicle in a non running condition from a dealer. They informed me that vehicle had a broken camshaft which was not what I found when I began working on it. The previous owner neglected to perform the 100k mile timing belt service, in doing so the bearings in the waterpump failed causing the engine to jump timing, destroying 8 of the 16 rocker arms. Replacing the timing components and rocker arm was the easy part. Figuring out why the CRD would not start was very difficult. With the help of Keith of GDE, we found that the fuel system was not building enough fuel pressure. I replace the MPROP (fuel quantity solenoid), and no help. Destroyed the starter from all the cranking, replaced the starter. Replaced the fuel rail assembly, no help. Ohm checked all wiring for the fuel system, no defects were noted. Finally replaced the high pressure pump (CP3), NO HELP! At that point I was ready to light a match and watch the whole thing burn. GDE saved me from myself and assisted me in the final troubleshooting. After additional wiring and computer checks we found a great deal of fuel bypassing back to the tank. The source was traced back to the #4 injector metered pressure return line. I replaced the faulty injector and low and behold the Jeep is now running!

This whole adventure has taken nearly 3 months of the Liberty being stuck in the garage. But I am happy to finally be driving my CRD!

A huge Thank You to Keith of Green Diesel Engineering for assisting me with my CRD. GDE is very knowledgeable on the CRD and provided me with excellent guidance to the issues I was experiencing on my vehicle. They were also able to provide me with some hard to find parts that were needed to get the Liberty back on the road. If you are having issues with your CRD, I highly recommend GDE. They may have that hard to find part that you need for your CRD.

I am not a paid advertiser, just a very happy customer of GDE and a new owner of a great running CRD!

Post subject: Re: The story of my CRD and Thank you Green Diesel Engineeri
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

That's a great post on two accounts:

First, we know that an injector can fail in such a way that it can cause this symptom. Would be nice to know how you and he tested for that.

Second, what great service from GDE. Good way to earn some customer karma! It makes a difference to me to know of vendors like that, who will not only stand behind what they do, but will go above and beyond if they can.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

By removing the return line from the fuel rail an excessive about of fuel was coming out of the disconnected line while cranking. We isolated the source of the fuel by removing the fuel return line from the pump return and each injector. Only a small about of fuel was bypassing from #1, #2, and #3 but #4 was pouring out of the open port. The faulty injector was replaced and the liberty is back on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Would you do it all over again? My daughter's 2005 Jeep CRD lost a timing belt at 85K. It might have been helped by low engine oil. Engine's not frozen up so trying to decide if we have it rebuilt, but used engine or sell as-is. We are in Houston and also looking for good mechanic.

Any advice is welcome...