It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Battery replacement
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well my OEM Redtop has finally bitten the dust after 8 years. New ones are a bit pricey so I'm wondering if there are any other choices that are as good.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

Post subject: Re: Battery replacement
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well - since Optima moved their manufacturing - the new ones don't last nearly that long.

next option was Sear Diehard Platinum - but they're have been a couple of posts about them changing suppliers.
and AZ CRD says they die in Phoenix heat..

Odyssey would probably be the best but they're $300+

I'm running a generic Battery's plus - because my Optima yellow top died on a Sunday and they were close.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ATXKJ wrote:
Well - since Optima moved their manufacturing - the new ones don't last nearly that long.

next option was Sear Diehard Platinum - but they're have been a couple of posts about them changing suppliers.
and AZ CRD says they die in Phoenix heat..

Odyssey would probably be the best but they're $300+

I'm running a generic Battery's plus - because my Optima yellow top died on a Sunday and they were close.....

Odyssey(actually Enersys) makes the actual Platinum Series batteries for Sears but they must start with a "P",the marine style batteries are not Odyssey.

If you watch for deals you can pick up a PC1500DT Odyssey for about the same price as a P4 battery(same battery,different colors and name).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:30 am 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Odyssey makes the actual Platinum Series batteries for Sears...

Came here to say this. You can basically get a discount Odyssey by going with the Die Hard P series. But go for the big 65 series. It's rated at 950 CCA and costs the same as the 34R series (which is rated at 850 CCA). The 65 series does require minor trimming to your battery tray to fit, but it's easy and worth it.

Here's mine installed:

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

Last edited by weeks101 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Just put an Exide AGM "blue top" in mine, after the original Optima died a sudden death a month or so ago. A few more CCA's, and very reasonably priced. Also, the Exide is American made, whereas the Optimas are not. YMMV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See my post at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79776&p=840420&hilit=battery#p840420

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:18 pm 
LOST Member

I went to college right next door to Enersys' manufacturing facility in Warrensburg, MO and also did my senior project with them, so i have a little insight into their products. The sears die hard batteries are made side by side with the Odyssey batteries, as well batteries for the US Government for use in tanks, humvees, and submarines. These batteries should be top of the line and last as long or longer than any other battery on the market. However as with any battery, abuse will make short work of it. Not saying they don't have problems, all manufactures do, but they go out of their way to make one hell of a battery. I will certainly be putting one in when I need a new battery.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:23 pm 
LOST Member

weeks101 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
Odyssey makes the actual Platinum Series batteries for Sears...

Came here to say this. You can basically get a discount Odyssey by going with the Die Hard P series. But go for the big 65 series. It's rated at 950 CCA and costs the same as the 35 series (which is rated at 850 CCA). The 65 series does require minor trimming to your battery tray to fit, but it's easy and worth it.

Here's mine installed:

I thought the CRD took a Group 34R battery. This has the standard terminal configuration. I need a battery before winter and would like to know what size to get if different from what is in the Jeep now. I currently have a Redtop for the 3+ years I owned the jeep and it is still going but felt a little slow lately. It may be the original for all I know. There is no battery anywhere on the complete work history for the vehicle.

Last edited by joelukex4 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yes, factory is 34R and I am running a 65. My original post explains everything.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:41 pm 
LOST Member

Sorry your original post stated group 35. Will the 35 battery fit? are the posts the same as the 34R? How did you get the 65 to fit with the opposite battery posts?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

Sorry I meant 34R

As far as the terminals on the 65, you orient it so the text would be right-side-up in the driver's position as you can see in the photo (look at where the fuse box is).

The tray does need some trimming.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

Last edited by weeks101 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:26 pm 

I put an Exide AGM "blue top" in mine as well last winter, and it spins it up super quick!
Any good 800+ CCA AGM battery by a name brand manufacturer Like Exide, Sears, or Odyssey would be a good replacement for a diesel Jeep... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

funnyman06 wrote:
I went to college right next door to Enersys' manufacturing facility in Warrensburg, MO and also did my senior project with them, so i have a little insight into their products. The sears die hard batteries are made side by side with the Odyssey batteries, as well batteries for the US Government for use in tanks, humvees, and submarines. These batteries should be top of the line and last as long or longer than any other battery on the market. However as with any battery, abuse will make short work of it. Not saying they don't have problems, all manufactures do, but they go out of their way to make one hell of a battery. I will certainly be putting one in when I need a new battery.

The batteries used in HMMWV's(along with M800 series,M900 series,and most of the other wheeled tactical vehicles) use Exide batteries and they are total crap.In the desert you got lucky to them last 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:08 pm 
LOST Member

I found the Optima Redtop 34R for $147. Is the Sears Platinum P1 worth an extra $75 or the Odyssey even more

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

joelukex4 wrote:
I found the Optima Redtop 34R for $147. Is the Sears Platinum P1 worth an extra $75 or the Odyssey even more

My Odyssey PC1500DT(Platinum P4) is going on 9 years now and still puts out over a 1000cca's(825cca rated) so yeah they are worth it over a battery that can barely make it to the end of it's warranty period(aka optima's).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:32 am 
LOST Addict

So far my Sears P1 has been good. had to buy it last winter during our weeks of arctic cold here in PA. I had a Advance auto "GOLD" lead acid battery but it wasn't able to turn over the engine after setting outside all night even with the block heater plugged in. advanced replaced it 2 times in a few weeks. every time the over night temp was under 25 I had a no start unless I trickle charged it. they were not going to replace it a 3rd time and made me take it to a mechanic to look for a power drain over what was normal. none was found so next time I had a no start I went back and they told me the company just down graded the battery's ratting from 800 CCA to 725. so since the computer said 800 was required they had nothing to sell me and I negotiated a full purchase price refund. Then went to Sears and lived happily ever after..... ok not quit but with the battery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

Mikey - Which Sears Platinum did you get.

Which Sears Platinum is recommended understanding that Group 65 needs battery tray trimming and I don't want to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

joelukex4 wrote:
Mikey - Which Sears Platinum did you get.

Which Sears Platinum is recommended understanding that Group 65 needs battery tray trimming and I don't want to do that.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-a ... 851090000P

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

Last edited by weeks101 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I won't speculate on what "group" the OEM Red Top is/was and mine, which is sitting on my garage floor, doesn't say. What I will say is the case length on my OEM Red Top is 10" which matches the Group 34 case length not the 9.3" case length for a Group 35 battery. I'll also note that when I started looking for a battery I was told the "book" shows a special dealer only battery but when I pushed the battery place to look at my engine bay they said a Group 34 was a same size drop in replacement. I'm guessing but a Group 35 might work although they seem to come with a lower CCA rating than Group 34.

Bottom line is both I and stoutdog are running Group 34 batteries (mine's a Sears P-1 and his is an Interstate IIRC Megatron-85) with no problems. Simply install with +- terminals in the right orientation and the existing cables will reach although I did have to twick my - cable end a tiny bit.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

FYI I corrected my above posts, I typed 35 when I meant 34.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD