It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sierra Road trip, a few "no starts" and some codes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:04 pm 
LOST Member

Hi everyone, need some troubleshooting help:

Family road trip (700+ miles roundtrip) to the Eastern Sierras, loaded up with 4 adults, a baby, 2 dogs and a roof box. We were maxed out and much fun was had by all, but we had a few good scares with no start situations (crank but no fire) in inconvenient places:

1) First time it happened was up around 9k feet near South Lake, after about 4 hours of driving (hot engine). With the help of a few guys in the parking lot, we tested for the usual suspects, bled the fuel lines, etc. Still no start. After about 30 minutes of looking things over and trying, one of the guys wondered if anyone had a code reader, and I remembered my handy little dongle and app and pulled this code: P0725 (I had forgotten that I also had my GDE flash tool/reader in the trunk, which comes in handy later). Cleared it and it started right up.

2) Second time is fuzzy in my memory, but it was after coming down the above hill in a parking lot on the same day. I can't remember if I pulled a code or not, but clearing all codes allowed me to start again.

3) Third time was also on a hot engine out a few miles on some dirt trails on BLM land. This time, my DashCommand iPhone app didn't pull any codes. I went ahead and cleared codes anyway, then it started right up.

4) The last time was in the driveway at home a few minutes after arriving, again on a hot engine after hours of driving. I tried to start the car a few minutes later, no go. Again, no codes on my iPhone app and this time clearing the codes wasn't doing anything. In frustration, I pushed the car out of the way and let it sit for a while. Maybe 30 minutes later I remembered I had the GDE tool, so I scanned and pulled these codes: P0335 P0513. Unfortunately, I did not try to start it before clearing the codes, so I don't know if it would have started, but I cleared the two codes and started right up on the first try.

My usual short commute twice a week is only 5 miles each way, so I had not seen this issue before and maybe that is related to engine rarely getting up to temp on those trips (a shame, I know).

From reading up a little, I know P0725 Engine Speed Input Circuit-Trans Speed Sensor and P0335 both point to a potentially bad crankshaft position sensor (?): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79631
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79028

[I don't know why I would get P0513 related to the SKIM system, but I'm willing to leave that alone for now as it seems secondary or not important for the time being unless it reoccurs.]

Does anyone else have any other ideas about where I should start, or does the crankshaft position sensor sound like the right place to start?

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

Post subject: Re: Sierra Road trip, a few "no starts" and some codes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'd put a crank sensor on it for sure. Having your Jeep act up after a good heat soak is a sign of a failing crank sensor. Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:31 am 
LOST Member

I would also start with a crank sensor.

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks guys. Mike, noticed your in San Diego. Do you work on the CRD yourself or know of any good mechanics?

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Crank position sensor is likely the culprit and it's not expensive; see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80284&p=845664#p845664 for a how to remove and test. Basic wrenches and screwdrivers plus if you want to test it a heat source (hair dryer) and volt/ohm meter are all you need to DIY.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:01 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
Crank position sensor is likely the culprit and it's not expensive; see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80284&p=845664#p845664 for a how to remove and test. Basic wrenches and screwdrivers plus if you want to test it a heat source (hair dryer) and volt/ohm meter are all you need to DIY.

Thanks, papaindigo. I was planning on doing this myself. Those are helpful instructions. Not sure if I should just order the part so that I can get it on while I'm in there, or test it first. It's only ~$60, so might just buy to have on hand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Crank position sensor is 5066882AA or Bosch 0281002434 also apparently Standard Motor Products PC766 or Airtex 5S7000

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:12 pm 
LOST Member

SFHLibertyCRD wrote:
Thanks guys. Mike, noticed your in San Diego. Do you work on the CRD yourself or know of any good mechanics?

I do the work myself. I did ask Rancho Jeep here in SD if they had the tools, and they said yes that they do get one in from time to time.

Cummins Lift Pump
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:14 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
Crank position sensor is 5066882AA or Bosch 0281002434 also apparently Standard Motor Products PC766 or Airtex 5S7000

Thanks. Any idea which of these is most reliable? I found the Airtex for only $45. Given that the OEM one has failed already, I'm inclined to try something else.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No clue on reliability

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:59 pm 
LOST Member

I've had a lot of luck with Bosch products.

Cummins Lift Pump
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:26 pm 
LOST Member

Mike92104 wrote:

I couldn't find the Bosch version at any online retailers with the listed part number. If anyone has an updated one, please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:53 pm 
LOST Member

SFHLibertyCRD wrote:
Mike92104 wrote:

I couldn't find the Bosch version at any online retailers with the listed part number. If anyone has an updated one, please let me know.

I noticed O'reilly has BWD (Borg Warner Development) which is also a quality company.

Cummins Lift Pump
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:16 pm 
LOST Member

Anyone heard of this brand? Duralast. It's $20-$30 cheaper, but not worth it if its no good. If not, I'll go for the BWD. With coupons and such I can bring it down to about $70.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... _726118_0_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

What success (or lack thereof) has anybody had with the brand that ID Parts sells?

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:16 pm 
LOST Member

SBrooks wrote:
What success (or lack thereof) has anybody had with the brand that ID Parts sells?

Steve

They sell the same one that is presumably failing, OEM Mopar: http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info ... ts_id=4484.

So unless Mopar has gone to a different supplier or improved the design, performance will probably be similar.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:37 pm 
LOST Member

SFHLibertyCRD wrote:
Anyone heard of this brand? Duralast. It's $20-$30 cheaper, but not worth it if its no good. If not, I'll go for the BWD. With coupons and such I can bring it down to about $70.

I try to avoid the Duralast crap.

Cummins Lift Pump
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:41 pm 
LOST Member

Mike92104 wrote:
SFHLibertyCRD wrote:

I try to avoid the Duralast crap.

Good to know. BWD it is. Thanks for all the feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:59 pm 
LOST Member

Does a bad CPS sensor impact fuel efficiency at all?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:13 pm 

SFHLibertyCRD wrote:
Does a bad CPS sensor impact fuel efficiency at all?

Only if the engine is not running! :ROTFL: :ROTFL:
Seriously, I would say no, it only provides a speed input signal to the OBC. If the OBC does not receive this signal, it shuts the engine off by shutting down fuel injection.... :wink:

RockAuto shows all three brands listed with the best prices! No luck on the Bosch one in the US, only found it in England and price is 75+
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # PC766 More Info {#5066882AA}
Category: Crankshaft Position Sensor

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S7000 More Info {#5066882AA, SU8492}

MOPAR Part # 5066882AA

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp