It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I have my ProVent 200. Now...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:24 am 
LOST Member

…I have to figure out where it's gonna go. I really didn't anticipate it being so big.

I looked at this super-clean install:

http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/provent/

But he has a custom bracket. Any ideas other than zip ties from people who have done this before? I did some searching and most of the early pics of this mod no longer exist.

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Engine mounts replaced @ 55k/93k, Timing Belt @ 90k
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Kenwood TM-V71 Ham Radio / Cobra C75WX CB
Surf Racks

Post subject: Re: I have my ProVent 200. Now...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:21 am 
LOST Addict

I made a metal bracket around the ecm (I think that's on the left/driver side) and then zip-tied the provent on it. On the drain hose, you'll need a check valve for when it's negative pressure (you don't want to suck air through the drain). You'll need the check valve only if you don't connect the drain hose to the oil pan, or if you connect the drain hose above oil level. I have the hose draining under the car, so I installed the check valve few inches before the hose ends.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Maybe it's just cause I'm new to the scene, but I don't understand why everyone goes this route. Why the big expensive piece when you could just as easily and effectively install a normal catch can and be done with it? I never really understood a clear answer. Seems like one person did it and then everyone else just followed exactly the same path and never questioned it. Perhaps I'm missing something.

For what it's worth, I have my generic separator located on the opposite side of the engine bay, not really mounted to anything, it just kind of hangs out over there. I had planned to mount it a little more permanently after I figured out how much oil it's collecting in a particular span, but it's not really been an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:41 pm 
LOST Member

I just watched a clip on youtube, the guy modified the existing ccv valve by adding a filter, a bit like the filter you find inside a provent 200. Looked like it was doing its job just replace it every few thousand miles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:50 pm 
LOST Member

Bearded1 wrote:
I don't understand why everyone goes this route.

In my case, it's because I do a lot of city driving and I'm constantly emitting clouds of white vapor at stoplights. Here in enviro-conscious Los Angeles, I get a lot of dirty looks. :lol: Don't want to give diesels a bad name.

The Provent should stop that issue. Plus, I'll sleep that much better that I'm doing the CARB-responsible thing by running those oxides of nitrogen thingy's back through the engine.

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Surf Racks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

usa591 wrote:
Bearded1 wrote:
I don't understand why everyone goes this route.

The Provent should stop that issue. Plus, I'll sleep that much better that I'm doing the CARB-responsible thing by running those oxides of nitrogen thingy's back through the engine.

My question wasn't really at what you were trying to accomplish, I understand that, I DON'T understand the benefits of a "ProVent" over any number of other branded and unbranded pieces that accomplish the same job. Seems to be overpriced branding IMHO.

But like I said, perhaps I'm missing something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:11 pm 
LOST Member

Bearded1 wrote:
My question wasn't really at what you were trying to accomplish, I understand that, I DON'T understand the benefits of a "ProVent" over any number of other branded and unbranded pieces that accomplish the same job. Seems to be overpriced branding IMHO.

For me, I'm at a point in my life where free time is at such a premium that I'd rather buy an off-the-shelf solution when one exists instead of fun-geneering a solution, even if it does mean spending an extra $100 here and there. I did my research on the forum and elsewhere and it seemed like the ProVent was the best functioning solution that would take minimal effort on my part to install & maintain. What I seemed to have missed was it's rather large size and the challenge I'd face actually mounting the darn thing. :2cents:

GDE Eco Tune & TCM @ 46K
Lift Pump @ 97k
OME Lift, 1.5''
Surf Racks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The benefit is -

A - an empty COKE can duct-taped under the hood with a rubber hose inserted is not an EPA approved solution to any perceived problem - which the KJ emissions system has one of

B - FORD achieved EPA approval covering oem installation of the PROVENT system on all DIESEL trucks in their lineup - this also included all dealer-installs on any trucks prior to the approval as well as out-of warranty trucks

C - all Diesel trucks and passenger vehicles manufactured after 2002 are required to meet EPA regulated mandates - any previous vehicles, then covered under a grandfather-clause, are even now being required to conform - even your lawnmower, chainsaw, outboard motor, tractor, combine, etc, are all required to conform

D - most states now conform to EPA-mandated vehicle inspections, with more falling into line under stiffer federal regulations and penalties for non-conformance - vehicle emissions equipment is a serious matter, folks

E - the PROVENT system has EPA approval for installation on all Diesel vehicles, when done in accordance with enclosed instructions - 'nuther words: no drain hose dripping underneath the vehicle

F - those owner-inspired 'upgrades' with 'tip-and-drain' function will eventually result in said vehicle being prohibited from legal street access, by not being able to pass federal vehicle inspection - guess you could alternately park it out back, paint it green, and hide it in the grass, if refusal to conform is more important than actually driving it

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:26 pm 
LOST Member

Here's how & where I mounted my ProVent 200 (PV200.)

On the right side, just to the right of the coolant reservoir, there's a small metal tower with come electrical connections on it
(next to the TCM).Remove the metal bracket & stuff the wires to the side. Plenty of room now for the Provent. Make a metal strap to tie the PV200 to the mounting point where the elec. bracket used to mount to the vehicle.
Route the hose from the CCV to PV200 and then back to the place where the CCV hose went (intake).
For the PV200 drain hose I have it going to a 10 oz plastic bottle that I manually drain about ever 2000 miles (down low behind the black plastic thing below the bumper). It's usually about 1/2 full in 2K miles.

To cut down on the amount of oil laden vapor coming out of the CCV, I took it apart and shaped some of the 3M scrubby material to fit the inside shape (makes more surface for the vapor to condense on. This cut the amount in my PV200 collection bottle in half.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Similar location as my install on the passenger-side of the engine bay, close to the CCV outlet and turbo intake

Pics of the EPA-approved install are in my earlier post addressing that install, replete with pics of actual location of a pre-drilled and tapped hole on side of the crankcase above oil level, which may be counter-drilled and re-tapped for 1/8"npt, accepting a 90* elbow for connection to a hose from the PROVENT drain

That black puck on the top rear of your camshaft cover is a centrifugal filter, such that the heavier particulates (oil droplets) are hurled outward from the gasses to drain back into the cam cover - somewhat effective on the millions of VM CRD-engined taxis in Europe and middle-east, it is majorly over-whelmed on the huffed version of that engine in your KJ, requiring some serious help

Enter the PROVENT crankcase effluent filter - you may have noticed the inlet port is offset to one side of the cannister - that was not done to make it difficult to install, but rather to perform as a 'nuther centrifugal filter, where the swirl of the inlet gasses would cause the heavier particulates to hurl out, leaving the remaining lighter stuff to be filtered out as the gasses passed thru the membrane filter and out into the turbo inlet - the port at the bottom of the cannister is to be plumbed into the crankcase above normal oil level for particulate return

Theory of operation with pics are on the PROVENT site

SEGR; Provent; Magnaflow;
Suncoast T\C, Transgo Tow'n'Go switch;
Cummins LP module, Fleetguard filter, Filterminder
2.5" Daystar f, OME r; Ranchos; K80767's, Al's lifted uppers
Rubicons, 2.55 Goodyears
Four in a row really makes it go

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:57 pm 

Deleted by author.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

I put my provent on 138,000 miles ago and mounted it to the ECU with 2 large hoseclamps used for airvents/airconditiong. I put some foam between the provent and the ECU for cushioning and has been problem free for 8 years.

No need to make custom brackets and the only mod I made was to move the glow plug relay to another location.