It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: engine clatter noise under load at low rpm
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:40 am 
LOST Member

Hi can any one help with this noise.
I have tried to track down what is causing this engine noise. My Jeep is a manual and it may be normal. At low rpm pulling up a steep hill the motor rattles a lot. Only below 1200 rpm not all the time. Sounds like piston slap. I have removed the egr, In tank lift pump, No air in fuel. Its driving me bonkers. Rev the motor in neutral no noise no smoke all sounds good. Its differently coming from the motor. Clutch. gearbox all tight. Any suggestions welcome.

Post subject: Re: engine clatter noise under load at low rpm
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:00 pm 
LOST Member

bad motor mount?

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 pm 
LOST Member

SargeIndustries wrote:
bad motor mount?

Thanks for the reply but I have replaced the mounts and yes they were bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:34 am 
LOST Member

OAD?
I thought it was a nice pick up by GDE in your other thread re idle speed (I think) about your Jeep being a Renegade .
Very astute.....only suggest it as everything is so directly coupled without the cushioning of the TC in the autos.
Will ponder.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 pm 
LOST Member

Auberon wrote:
OAD?
I thought it was a nice pick up by GDE in your other thread re idle speed (I think) about your Jeep being a Renegade .
Very astute.....only suggest it as everything is so directly coupled without the cushioning of the TC in the autos.
Will ponder.

I do agree outstanding information here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:59 am 
LOST Addict

Only people here (US) who have the "original" GDE TCM tune can really speak to what you are raising. We have only automatics here and the OEM programming is such that if you touch the throttle at 1200-1500 rpm, the TC instantly unlocks and the revs shoot up.

I have the TCM tune that locks the TC at 35 MPH. I have to say, applying any significant torque at that rpm range makes the whole vehicle vibrate quite strongly. Things do rattle that do not under any other conditions. Also, I do not think applying much throttle at that rpm is good for the health of the motor. (It is called "lugging".)

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:42 am 
LOST Member

DOC4444 wrote:
Only people here (US) who have the "original" GDE TCM tune can really speak to what you are raising. We have only automatics here and the OEM programming is such that if you touch the throttle at 1200-1500 rpm, the TC instantly unlocks and the revs shoot up.

I have the TCM tune that locks the TC at 35 MPH. I have to say, applying any significant torque at that rpm range makes the whole vehicle vibrate quite strongly. Things do rattle that do not under any other conditions. Also, I do not think applying much throttle at that rpm is good for the health of the motor. (It is called "lugging".)

DOC

Thanks for the reply, just the jeep is not the first diesel manual 4x4 I have owned and no problem with those on this subject, But I would say it seems to be getting less and less since doing an engine flush and oil and filter change. I think the piston rings had locked up in the pistons with all that soot that gets into the oil. Was thinking of doing a compression test but looks a pain to get to the glow plugs to connect a gauge. I am guessing that you could compare blow by gas from the oil filler?