It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-filling hydraulic lash adjusters
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

Those of you who have replaced your rocker assemblies...

You're supposed to prefill the hydraulic lash adjuster with oil before putting it in the head, aren't you? I just tried pumping the first one with my fingers in an oil bath, and I can't get it to go solid. Any tricks?

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

Post subject: Re: Pre-filling hydraulic lash adjusters
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

Never mind...naturally, the very first one out of 16 was a problem, but the rest were easy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:27 pm 
LOST Member

I did not pump mine up before I installed them, I did however let them sit in motor oil for 24 hours before I installed them. That was 15,000 miles ago, if there was a issue it would have made itself known by now. I will check them at my next timing belt change in 85,000 miles. If they are replaced again I will try to pump them up before installing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:53 pm 
LOST Addict

65Corvair wrote:
I did not pump mine up before I installed them, I did however let them sit in motor oil for 24 hours before I installed them. That was 15,000 miles ago, if there was a issue it would have made itself known by now. I will check them at my next timing belt change in 85,000 miles. If they are replaced again I will try to pump them up before installing.

+1 to this, let them soak for a day and that's enough.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

Soaking won't accomplish what I'm trying for: to have the adjusters NOT start up with a bunch of slack. This also let me check to make sure they would actually hold once pumped up. No point buttoning it back up with a faulty HLA.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:05 am 
LOST Newbie

greiswig wrote:
Soaking won't accomplish what I'm trying for: to have the adjusters NOT start up with a bunch of slack. This also let me check to make sure they would actually hold once pumped up. No point buttoning it back up with a faulty HLA.

You'd have to swap in solid lifters to do that. It would completely eliminate the little protection that the hydraulic lifters offer in the event of a timing belt failure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You do not have to pre-fill them. Just dipping them into oil and then coating the top connector, roller, etc. with assembly lube prior to installation is quite enough.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:12 am 
LOST Addict

greiswig wrote:

I wouldn't worry about that, when you start the engine first time, the wear when idle is minor, they will fill all way with oil relatively soon, just a little "slack" won't matter. Just soak them well before, it will be fine.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.