It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Europe gets shafted by chrysler
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

Just about had enough. Just had a very long conversation with Jeep customer services here in the UK. To cut a long story short we can not tow f-uck all here. My mates mini can tow a trailer but not a Jeep? That is un less you sign a declaration about the tow bar is too close to the fuel tank. Jeep can not supply a tow bar here in Europe to fit these cars, after market ones only, The only problem with that is they probably wont conform. Sign a declaration passing the buck to us I don't think so........

Post subject: Re: Europe gets shafted by chrysler
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

That's a bit odd - I have a Mopar towbar fitted to mine; it has a detachable towball. Mind you, it was fitted in 2006, so may not be available anymore.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:08 pm 
LOST Member

What's really weird is they are recalling Liberties here and installing tow hitches for free. The reason is to protect the fuel tank!

Post subject: Europe gets shafted by chrysler
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:21 am 
LOST Junkie

I've had the recall letter too. it says that If there is a Mopar towbar installed, then they check the area around it for damage; if its fine, then thats it - recall complied with. If its an aftermarket hitch, then they inspect for damage, sharp edges or any other puncture risk. If they find such evidence, then a new CROSSCAR BEAM (not hitch) will be fitted. I had the Mopar hitch fitted when I bought the Jeep, because in 2006, there weren't any aftermarket hitches readily available. My inspection appointment is on 5th November.

I imagine that if they remove a towbar, you could insist on its return - it is your property after all and they have no right to retain it. If Chrysler US's letter says that they'll fit a towhitch, then Chrysler should fit one everywhere else too.

Could someone post a scanned copy of the US recall letter? It would be helpful in the event that that Chrysler UK has to be taken to court.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 am 
LOST Addict

graycenphil wrote:
What's really weird is they are recalling Liberties here and installing tow hitches for free. The reason is to protect the fuel tank!

Yes but apparently you cannot tow with the recall tow hitch that they are installing here in the USA. There is another thread on here where someone mentions it. It sounds like its the same hitch as the factory tow hitch but they are not taking on the liability of saying its tow rated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:56 am 
LOST Member

Its not just the tow bar that they have a problem with, Its the strength of the rear of the car. If you have NO tow bar they will bolt a steel beam to the bolt holes were the tow bar bolts too. If you have a tow bar they can not fit the steel beam. But if your tow bar is the same design as the steel beam it will pass. I have seen the beam and its the same as a Mopar trailer hitch in the uk minus the square receiver socket. I have 2 kj fitted with tow bars and are much stronger then the flimsy Mopar one. Chrysler Jeep do not make a tow bar for the kj here in Europe, I wonder why that is? As for signing a declaration as I said before you are a fool to sign. You are telling VOSA THAT YOU HAVE REFUSED TO LET CHRYSLER JEEP TO MODIFIE YOUR CAR UNDER THE CURRENT RECALL. With future implications

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 am 
LOST Member

Lancer wrote:
That's a bit odd - I have a Mopar towbar fitted to mine; it has a detachable towball. Mind you, it was fitted in 2006, so may not be available anymore.

Yours will be fine. I asked the local stealership for a price for a factory tow bar and was told only available from 2005, Well thats fine mines a late 2005 gave her the reg and than was told only available from 2006. Any one with a uk 2007 kj prepared to give the last 10 vin numbers or reg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:banghead: I'll try to sort thru some of this, hopefully correctly.
1. I cannot speak for what if anything DCJ is doing outside the US but inside the US they are installing (see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75879&p=845962&hilit=hitch#p845962) a Mopar hitch with receiver or inspecting the Mopar hitch you have.
2. it has been reported that the Mopar hitch being installed comes with papers that say it's not for towing but folks who have compared the original Mopar hitch and the current one say they look the same. The "not for towing" probably relates to a) the recall hitch does not come with wiring for trailer lights and brakes which makes towing not legal in many states but that wiring can be added and b) doesn't matter for the KJ CRD but on the gasser model if the vehicle does not have the OEM or aftermarket towing pkg (IIRC includes extra cooling for tranny and engine) then towing would be problematic even if you added wiring.
3. the hitch for the 05 and 06 model years is the same Mopar PN 52059224AC regardless of what UK dealers told lacabrera. I suspect but don't know that the hitch was the same from 02-04 also and probably 07, it would not be the same for 08+
4. in the US at least the only "legal" implication of refusing the recall is you cannot sue DCJ for any harm caused by that refusal; there is not "legal" requirement that you accept a recall on your personal vehicle although there might be some legal requirement that you inform any future owner that the recall was refused.

I've emailed lancer a copy of the US recall notice.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:15 pm 
LOST Member

The list is growing here other owners of the Jeep kj are being told by Chrysler Jeep they can not tow with there cars? I have been told by my Insurance company if I sign the declaration being given by Jeep dealers here my Insurance will not be valid.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep I hear the same, 2007 MY KJ fitted with an aftermarket tow bar.

i'm told that the recall requires a minimum distance between the fuel tank and cross member of the two bar

Centre clearance 43mm

Outer clearance 20mm

My dealer did inform me that some have passed the process early on, but since than all have failed! unfortunately they didn't see a problem early on so did not make note of the manufacturer!

Yet to book in for rework to be assessed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In the US Owners manual there's a listing for trailer towing capability

I'm assuming the Euro version has something similar

if Chrysler says that's no longer valid -

then that is the basis of a slam dunk Lawsuit - they changed the value of the vehicle after you bought it.

you need to get some of those statements in writing and go talk to a Lawyer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

That's a very good point, the vehicle becomes
A fit for perpus issue! I'm going to check the
Hand book/ manual and I'll let you know

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
A lawsuit will have exactly ZERO traction.

The vehicle was built and sold by DAIMLER-CHRYSLER, and these modifications are being done by FIAT-Chrysler, a completely different and separate corporation that has zero liabilities to the previous corporation. The bankruptcy ensured that, and you would be immediately laughed out of court.

It is simply a matter of good customer service (bullshiit!) that FC is fixing these vehicles that they did nothing to build improperly or sell originally. This (from a legal perspective) is little different than if Mercedes offered to make safety modifications to a Saab.

Better to tell them to take that paper and cram it up their arse, or say that you will "take the form with you and bring it back after it is reviewed by your attorney" and then conveniently forget to do either.

NEVER sign anything that gives up your rights.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
A lawsuit will have exactly ZERO traction.

Maybe - Maybe not - a US Lawsuit would have Zero traction - because of US bankruptcy laws

a European lawsuit - is a different world

both Microsoft and Google - with tons of money and lawyers - lost European suits that would never have been filed in the US.