It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mystery Coolant Leak Help (already read alot of the posts)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Folks,

I have read most of the post's and my mechanic and i cant seem to figure it out. I have a 05 crd liberty with 92000 miles on it. I hade the timing belt, water pump, done at 87000. I also just had the thermostat, thermostat hoses, radiator, and coolant bottle reaplced trying to figure out where my coolant is leaking. We have pressure tested the system, tightened all hoses and clamps, refilled the system with dealer coolant. And yet i loose about an inch of coolant with every gas tank and I can smell coolant in the engine bay but see no steam or leaks. Also had a radiator shop check for contamination in the coolant. Also no change in mpg or performance etc.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Hans

Post subject: Re: Mystery Coolant Leak Help (already read alot of the post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you check the EGR (hot area that would boil it immediately) cooler and all the related hoses going to the driver side?

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

how much pressure do you have under the cap after a minute of idleing then stopping the engine?

The suorrounding has to be noise free in order to hear any gas escape.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Drop by a good parts store and get a bottle of antifreeze compatible UV dye; add to a cold cooling system at the tank on the firewall; before starting the engine rinse with clean water (no heavy spray - rain show like so you don't force water into fittings); drive for say 100 miles; park in shade or ideally garage; look for leak with UV light (can get a UV light cheap from Amazon). Pay careful attention to the vicinity of a) EGR valve and cooler (driver side rear of block on US vehicle), b) oil cooler (opposite side in front of turbo), c) radiator fins, d) heater core (check drip tube from heater core which should exit firewall a bit below coolant tank), e) all the other usual spots. Might want to put on new radiator/coolant tank cap as sometimes a bad cap can cause excess overflow the seems like coolant loss.

FYI coolant smell in the engine bay suggests coolant dripping on hot surface. Losing 2-3 cups of coolant per tank (say 500 miles) is a pretty slow leak which if it drips on a warm surface will evaporate with no steam and no drips. I lost that much on a early model Plymouth Voyager due to a weak spring clamp on the lower radiator hose which produced an almost invisible leak that we never would have found but for dye

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs