It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ABS and brake lights on dash, and.....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:40 am 
LOST Member

So yesterday I ran a couple places after work, and the brake and ABS lights lit up on the dash. I parked for a while, came back and drove off no lights at start up, however they came on shortly. Parked it at home. This morning, I took a drive of about 35 miles and the lights were on the whole time. That's when I happened to notice the trip and odometer were not adding miles as I drove. Made a stop, and when I fired it up no lights and odometer and trip working.
So what's wrong?

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

Post subject: Re: ABS and brake lights on dash, and.....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bad wheel speed sensor(s) or on an 05 a broken wire inside, hence invisible, going to and near the rear wheel speed sensor which is apparently on top of the differential. Note if this was an 06 there would be wheel speed sensors at both rear wheels.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:13 pm 
LOST Member

It is an '05. So its the wire or the sensor?

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:17 pm 
LOST Member

BTW the speedo works fine.

Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See what others say as I've not personally dealt with this problem. IIRC it can be any one or more of the 3 sensors (2 front and 1 rear on the 05) and a dealer scan tool may be able to tell you which one. If the back sensor shows bad that can be either a bad sensor or the broken wire I mentioned. The wire problem cannot be "seen" because the break is inside the insulation, apparently the wire is rather small and fragile, but I presume a wire break can be checked with a volt/ohm meter at the appropriate wiring end points wherever they are.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:09 pm 
LOST Addict

If your speedo works then I would suspect a front wheel sensor is bad.

It happened to me after I did my front brakes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:56 pm 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
If your speedo works then I would suspect a front wheel sensor is bad.

It happened to me after I did my front brakes.

The only thing that stop working is the trip and the main odometer.

Are they easy/ cheep to replace? Is there a write up on replacing them?

Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:03 pm 
LOST Member

:ALONE:

Unknown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Have experience with this. With the symptoms you describe, the single rear speed sensor signal is not being read, either because it has died, or the wiring has. You need to test the wiring to the sensor and find the problem, or if there is nothin wrong, replace the sensor.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:47 am 
LOST Member

Thanks Doc!

I will need to figure out where/ how to test the wire so in know what to replace.

Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

My abs harness was loose, caused a check engine light, abs lights, killed speedo and tach.

gave it a jiggle and no symptoms yet again

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
rear sensor. The wires break near the plug, you will need the repair kit, I *think* the dealers have that... Its been a looooong time since I fixed mine.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:39 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I replaced the rear sensor and plug end (finally) and no change :furious: So what else would cause this?

Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:12 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks like you need to replace one or both of your front wheel sensors.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:58 pm 
LOST Member

Funny i had this happen to me yesterday except it went back out and has been fine ever since. We both probably need the repair kit geordi was talking about. Its a known issue that when the rear sensor has an issue, both the ABS and brake light turn on and the ODO stops counting, but the speedometer still works. From what I have read only the rear sensor going back will cause these exact symptoms, but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:13 pm 
LOST Addict

When my front ABS sensor went bad, the ABS and brake lights came on and odometer quit working.
So I guess it doesn't matter which ABS sensor goes out. They all show the same symptoms.

In my case, it was easy to find the culprit. I removed the left front wheel and immediately saw where the wire from the ABS sensor had been rubbing against the wheel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:58 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I made it worse. I decided to pull the front wheels and inspect the front sensors. Pulled the front left one out of the hub and it appeared fine. Resembled. Then pulled the other side apart and the sensor broke. So now I get to replace the hub assembly too. :roll: Crap. Well, I have ordered a new hub, as I don't believe I can drill out the balance without the debris getting into the hub and causing a bearing failure in the not so distant future.

Unknown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I danced this dance before, and in my case the wiring broke within the insulation about an inch up from the connector to the diff speed sensor. Absolutely no external indication that the wire had broken. I cut about a foot of wire out and spliced in a new connector.

I chased this issue for about 2 months and 2 trips to the dealer. I did have them change the brake fluid and purge the ABS unit which was due, but I hate paying for an inspection before they will touch the Jeep.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:52 am 
LOST Newbie

You can get the remaining ABS Sensor plastic out of the front hub(s). I have done it several times. Spray it down with PB blaster and let it soak. Drill a small hole in the center of the plastic sensor and run a small screw into the hole you drilled. Then gently pull up on the screw to extract the plastic part of the sensor that broke off...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:29 am 
LOST Member

Yes, your right. I did get it out with a small drill, a coarse thread screw, and a small pry bar for.leverage. Unfortunately, I still have the abs and brake lights on. :roll: So, trace the remaining sensor and hope for the best or pay for the stealership for diagnosis?

Unknown