It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EGR delet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

If I send my computer in and have the green diesel hot tune done with EGR delete, and I also install the Sassquach Motorsports Intake Elbow Kit, Can I also remove the EGR cooler and EGR Valve without any problems????? Looks like I can just cut and cap the exhaust tube, and bypass the coolant lines and just remove the whole setup..... Anyone done this?

97 Triumph Daytona 595
67 Rokon fully custom.
89 Bass Tracker 16' with 75hp Jet

Post subject: Re: EGR delet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:25 pm 

Yes you can remove all the EGR junk (valve & cooler) and all associated plumbing along with the FCV if you get a Weeks101 kit with the correct tune. :mrgreen:
Many have done this using either a GDE tune or one of the Squeeto or Yeti tunes available on this forum for owners that like to do things themselves... :wink:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=78418

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:52 am 
LOST Member

Whhooaaa....you saying that the Weeks101 Elbow Kit should NOT be installed unless there is a tune change?

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No that's not what he is saying. From weeks101 #1 post "Installation of this kit involves disabling the EGR valve. On a CRD without a SEGR or a GDE tune, this will trigger a CEL reflecting an EGR malfunction. However, the engine will run normally--in fact, it will run much better than before."

To what extent you can remove all of the EGR assembly and plumbing without an SEGR or tune is an entirely different issue from installing the kit and leaving the EGR assembly and plumbing intact but blocked with the kit's plate.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:58 am 
LOST Member

Dougbob wrote:
If I send my computer in and have the green diesel hot tune done with EGR delete, and I also install the Sassquach Motorsports Intake Elbow Kit, Can I also remove the EGR cooler and EGR Valve without any problems????? Looks like I can just cut and cap the exhaust tube, and bypass the coolant lines and just remove the whole setup..... Anyone done this?

No need to cut and cap your existing tube. I used a 3/4 pipe tap and plug from home depot to block off exhaust manifold. You may need the tube in the future if you ever sell vehicle..

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:41 pm 

taroo wrote:
Whhooaaa....you saying that the Weeks101 Elbow Kit should NOT be installed unless there is a tune change?

No... Let me clarify,
Disabling or removing the EGR is a top priority for these motors to stop the sludge buildup in the intake and consequently further contamination of the oil due to ejected soot from the EGR system which also adds to the degradation of the roller rockers and engine performance.

There are several options to accomplish this:
Simple approach: install a block of plate in the feed line to the EGR valve. and leave all the equipment and plumbing intact.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76576&hilit=+plate
or: Unplug the MAF sensor, this will disable the EGR operation but will set a DTC light.
or: Get a tune that disables the EGR operation electronically and prevents any associated DTC.s
or: Remove the plate out of the FCV to render it useless. (this also stops EGR function but may set a DTC without a tune)
All of the above will accomplish the desired results, it just depends on how you want to do this and how far to you want to go and how much money you want to spend? :roll:

Now to take it to another level:
Or get a tune and a Weeks101 kit and totally remove the FCV, EGR valve, EGR cooler, and all associated plumbing pipes, hoses etc... Some on this list have chosen this route as the very best option where permissible due to emission inspection concerns...
:juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:36 pm 
LOST Member

Okay...got it....will soon install the Weeks101 kit when I do my TB.

An aside, I have had SEGR for years so theoretically I should not have "sludge buildup in the intake and consequently further contamination of the oil due to ejected soot from the EGR system which also adds to the degradation of the roller rockers and engine performance". So...if I have a SEGR why does my oil turn black very quickly after an oil change? Isn't that soot? If so, then why if my EGR is disabled by SEGR? Could my SEGR have disabled the EGR in the "open" position by chance? Hmm..

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Turning off the EGR alone will not do all that much for reducing soot in the oil. The combustion parameters in stock form lend themselves to making a lot of soot that will find its way into the oil past the rings.

Ideally, you want to turn off the EGR and modify timing, boost, pilot injection and rail pressure to more optimized parameters. Then the engine will produce substantially less soot and keep the oil cleaner.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

GDE, is this what your eco tune does?
"Ideally, you want to turn off the EGR and modify timing, boost, pilot injection and rail pressure to more optimized parameters. Then the engine will produce substantially less soot and keep the oil cleaner."

Thanks, Layback

Cooper CTS 225/75 R16 Smittybilt brush guard & rear light guards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:57 pm 

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
Turning off the EGR alone will not do all that much for reducing soot in the oil. The combustion parameters in stock form lend themselves to making a lot of soot that will find its way into the oil past the rings.

Ideally, you want to turn off the EGR and modify timing, boost, pilot injection and rail pressure to more optimized parameters. Then the engine will produce substantially less soot and keep the oil cleaner.

Interesting, first I have read that! That said, you are saying that your curves inject less fuel and get the same power levels or more thereby getting more complete combustion and thus less oil contamination?
Does all your tunes include / perform this same function? :mrgreen:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:45 pm 
LOST Addict

That is one of the primary considerations for all our tuning. We have had customers do oil analysis pre and post tune (at least 6000 miles on the oil) and soot loading is reduced by about 90%.

Yes our tunes burn less fuel for the same torque output at a given load/rpm. Most of our customers report 3-5 mpg improvement vs. the stock tuning. We adjust the main timing, eliminate one pilot injection, modify boost and fuel pressure to achieve more complete combustion. All our tunes were developed on a dyno with full emission capability, so we were able to dial it all in. Then we road tested it in cold weather, hot climates and altitude to ensure smooth operation anywhere in North America. This is the same testing we did for the big 3 back in the past when working for the manufacturers...prior to moving to the aftermarket. The GM and Chrysler bankruptcies crushed our OEM business and cost several engineers their jobs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80114

Timing Belt Change at 76,000 miles (10 years old)
GDE FT ECO tune
Samco's (Red)
FCV Elbow Kit
Removed FCV/EGR/Cooler and all coolant hoses on driver side
No Muffler, Cat only and 2 1/2" straight pipe
86k miles (Original Owner)
Build Date Apr/05