It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: electric fan on
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:28 pm 
LOST Member

The weathers turned a bit colder now and I noticed the viscos heater is running but also the electric cooling fan. Seems a bit weird fan running when its cold. Is this normal. ps air con off.

Post subject: Re: electric fan on
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think this is because you have the defrosters on.Runs the AC. Turns on the fan.Mine does this as well.

Locking Axle
Provent
SEGR in progress

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

If your refrigerant level is low, it will set a soft code (no light) and run the fan on high

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:22 am 
LOST Newbie

RockyMountainYote wrote:
If your refrigerant level is low, it will set a soft code (no light) and run the fan on high

In my personal experience this is not true. My refrigerant was low for about 6 months and no codes were set and the fan did not turn on. Simply the AC did not work.

Last winter we have a cold snap with close to 0 degrees and one morning the fan was running on high, I checked the AC and defrost setting and also turned the whole system off. Fan was still running. I took out the fan relay for the remainder of the winter since it was not going to be needed. When I put it back in this spring all was well and haven't had an issue since.

The cold does weird things to electronics. If the issue persists then you will need to have the codes checked and start troubleshooting. There are several things that can cause this including, fan control sensors malfunction, bad relay, wiring harness damaged, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:43 am 
LOST Member

zak21 wrote:
RockyMountainYote wrote:

In my personal experience this is not true. My refrigerant was low for about 6 months and no codes were set and the fan did not turn on. Simply the AC did not work.

Last winter we have a cold snap with close to 0 degrees and one morning the fan was running on high, I checked the AC and defrost setting and also turned the whole system off. Fan was still running. I took out the fan relay for the remainder of the winter since it was not going to be needed. When I put it back in this spring all was well and haven't had an issue since.

The cold does weird things to electronics. If the issue persists then you will need to have the codes checked and start troubleshooting. There are several things that can cause this including, fan control sensors malfunction, bad relay, wiring harness damaged, etc.

The refrigerant is low, Had to disconnect one of the hoses back a few months ago. Mobile guy coming to re charge it on Monday. Will see if it makes any difference to the fan running. If not will try pulling the relay or swopping. One thing the fan seems to come on with the viscos heater? But its not been so cold lately so no viscos heater hence no fan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:12 pm 
LOST Member

update had the air con recharged and the issue with the electric fan coming on with the viscous heater has now stopped. I also decided to pull the viscous heater relay to stop it coming on didn't seem to do much. Think I read some were a lot people doing that. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My son reports that his CRD starts to warm up about 1 mile earlier post plugging his viscous heater back in; that's in Kearney, Nebraska with overnight temps on the order of 5F

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
My son reports that his CRD starts to warm up about 1 mile earlier post plugging his viscous heater back in; that's in Kearney, Nebraska with overnight temps on the order of 5F

Been watching the news about the weather in some parts of the states? Must take an hour to travel that mile. I guess your ok in Florida. :BANANA:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not in Kearney at least not yet and on the streets he drives traffic is light. They have had a bit of snow; mostly lots of wind and night time temps down in low single + digits F.

Here in N. Florida really cold is low 20sF and extremely cold is 15F so I just leave my viscous unplugged. Frankly my opinion is it provides zero benefit if you can run the block heater for say 2 hrs before crank up and only slight benefit if you cannot use the block heater.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Glad you got it sorted out :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

cheers guys. Since topping up the air con the compressor clutch engages every 20 seconds or so for 4 seconds. Does it on all settings unless you turn the dial to off. My old xj only ran the compressor when set to wind screen. is that normal. Bit worried about it damaging the clutch (on off so often)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I cannot speak to the cycling of the compressor as to how often or how long. However I can say it's supposed to cycle in several, perhaps all, vent modes unless the system is off. The Owner's Manual is, as most owner's manuals are, somewhat murky on the topic but as best as I can decipher with the AC mode switch Off the compressor will still cycle as follows:
1. in any vent mode if the outside temperature is approximately 30°F (-1°C)
2. in the floor, mix, and defrost vent modes regardless of outside temperature.