It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Liberty CRD won't start, starter doesn't crank
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

HI everyone,

So I have an issue with the CRD. It ran fine with no problems until yesterday. This morning, went to start it and it wouldn't crank. I can hear a click when the key is turned in the ignition. Suspected it was the battery as it was cold. Tested battery and it was low. Changed battery and still won't start. Mechanic has confirmed the starter is OK. I am sort of at a loss and don't want to have to take the vehicle to the dealer. Any ideas would be welcome. :dizzy:

Post subject: Re: 2006 Liberty CRD won't start, starter doesn't crank
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Forgot to add, I have no new codes of any type.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:37 am 
LOST Addict

If the battery is goof and the starter is good then I would suspect the ignition key switch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Could be key "rod" or ignition switch. Easy enough to check, see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61233&p=678574&hilit=+brother#p678574

PS just because the battery was charged does not mean it's good enough to allow the ECU to command a start.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:45 am 
LOST Junkie

What papaindigo said though generally speaking when the Ignition Actuator Pin breaks then you do not even get a "click" at the solenoid. If you can feel some spring resistance on the ignition key when moving to "Start" then the Actuator pin is most likely OK but this can be checked and confirmed later.

Most likely battery related. You need to get a known good battery capable of supplying the current needed to turn over the diesel engine and make sure that the battery connections are clean and tight, the negative lead going to the chassis is clean and tight on both ends and the grounding strap that grounds the engine to the chassis is clean and tight on both ends.

You can test if it turns over by hand by rotating the engine with a large spanner on the crankshaft to make sure it does not have any mechanical interference.

The Starter motor could have a bad contact on one part of the comutator but your Mechanic says the Starter motor is OK.

Try starting it in "Neutral" rather than "Park" and you can swap over the "Starter Relay" with an identical one next to it....these sit inside the relay/fuse box under the hood. Then with the Starter Relay removed you can try to briefly jumper pins 30 and 87 inside the Starter Relay Socket....engine should turn over provided fuse number 8 under the hood is OK....make sure you are in Park or Neutral first!
This jumpering of pins 30 and 87 inside the Starter Relay Socket bypasses the Ignition Switch, the Starter Relay, the Park/Neutral interlocks and the BCM which controls the Park/Neutral interlocks. If the engine now turns over then we can backtrack to see what the actual problem is! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can I pick this thread up?

I am having the same problem, turn the ignition and all I hear is click..click..click.

Swapped the starter relay and same deal.

When I jump the starter relay the engine cranks over but VERY slowly.

Battery is charged, even jumped it to another battery.

When I test the relay slots, I get nothing on pins 85 and 87a, 12v on 86 when I turn the key to start.

It is below zero outside, but the block heater has been plugged in all day.

Any ideas? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:07 pm 

Formula233 wrote:
Can I pick this thread up?
I am having the same problem, turn the ignition and all I hear is click..click..click.
Swapped the starter relay and same deal.
Battery is charged, even jumped it to another battery.
When I test the relay slots, I get nothing on pins 85 and 87a, 12v on 86 when I turn the key to start.
It is below zero outside, but the block heater has been plugged in all day.
Any ideas? Thanks!

What about 30? It should be 12v all the time.
12v on 86 when you turn the key is normal.
85 is ground and 87a is a dead circuit.
87 is the circuit that energizes the starter.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:36 am 
LOST Addict

Formula233 wrote:

This indicates a bad battery, a bad starter, or a bad battery cable to the starter.

You might want to have the battery load tested.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:08 am 
LOST Member

What Flash said^^^

Also check the battery terminals are clean and tight as well as the negative lead going to chassis and the grounding strap grounding the engine to chassis must be clean and tight....engine should not struggle to turn over when the starter relay is shorted out.

Could be a bad solenoid or bad starter but you also need to find out why the Starter Relay does not seem to be switching over....bad relay or the relay coil is not getting ground on one side and +12 volts on the other side from the ignition switch...broken wire, broken actuator pin assembly or blown fuse? :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks all!

I cleaned and retightened the battery terminals but I will check the negative lead and the grounding strap, as well as the connection to the starter. Where do I find those?

I tried three different relays and they all did the same thing. It seems like from my testing the relay is getting what it needs to go, 12v on 86 when I turn the key. 30 does have the 12v when I test it, same as the battery. I have replaced the actuator pin before, as I recall when it was broken I didn't even get a click when I turned the key.

So what confuses me is it seems to be two problems; the key doesn't make the starter go, all I get is click. But also, when I short the relay, it turns over but only slowly. Could any of these connection problems (or a bad battery or solenoid) cause both of these problems?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:00 pm 

Formula233 wrote:
Thanks all!
I cleaned and retightened the battery terminals but I will check the negative lead and the grounding strap, as well as the connection to the starter. Where do I find those?
I tried three different relays and they all did the same thing. It seems like from my testing the relay is getting what it needs to go, 12v on 86 when I turn the key. 30 does have the 12v when I test it, same as the battery. I have replaced the actuator pin before, as I recall when it was broken I didn't even get a click when I turned the key.
So what confuses me is it seems to be two problems; the key doesn't make the starter go, all I get is click. But also, when I short the relay, it turns over but only slowly. Could any of these connection problems (or a bad battery or solenoid) cause both of these problems?

If you have good battery voltage, 12.5v or better, sounds like a bad starter from what you describe? :juggle:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:50 pm 
LOST Member

Can you monitor the voltage as you jump the starter. That would give you a clue as to the condition of your battery. I'd the voltage drops to 8v when you (artificially) crank it, that could explain it. The engine won't start just because you jump the starter with the key on the right position. There is a computer that monitors voltage and won't supply fuel if the battery isn't high enough. It's possible you have a bad cell in the battery.

If you haven't checked already, check resistance from one end of the negative battery cable to the other, or directly to the frame, time, or chassis. Shouldn't have much resistance there. If you do, you need to start narrowing it down from there.

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Update-

Load tested the battery and it failed, but I thought it might be frozen. I put it in the basement and on a charger all night, and the next day it tested good, over 800 CCAs. Put it in and the jeep started fine.

Thought I had it licked but next time there was a below-zero night the battery froze again and I had to warm it up by the stove with the charger on before it would crank. It didn't take much charge (1 amp for two hours) but worked fine, spun the engine over fast once it warmed up. Thats weird to me, I thought the battery should not freeze if it is charged. Battery shows 14.6V with the engine running so it seems like the alternator is working.

Should I get rid of this battery or is there some other problem?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Also, the first time I drove it after the battery issue it it threw the ETC light-- would that be related to battery issues? Seems to be gone now. I have also had gelled fuel recently.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:51 pm 

Formula233 wrote:
Update-
Load tested the battery and it failed, but I thought it might be frozen. I put it in the basement and on a charger all night, and the next day it tested good, over 800 CCAs. Put it in and the jeep started fine.
Thought I had it licked but next time there was a below-zero night the battery froze again and I had to warm it up by the stove with the charger on before it would crank. It didn't take much charge (1 amp for two hours) but worked fine, spun the engine over fast once it warmed up. Thats weird to me, I thought the battery should not freeze if it is charged. Battery shows 14.6V with the engine running so it seems like the alternator is working.
Should I get rid of this battery or is there some other problem?

Lead-acid batteries contain a solution of sulfuric acid and water.
The liquid in a fully charged battery keeps it from freezing. HOWEVER, if your battery becomes discharged it can freeze, because most of the sulfate is chemically bound with the lead, leaving a very weak acid concentration in the battery. If a battery is exposed to very cold temperatures below freezing and is not fully-charged, the sulfuric acid and distilled water inside the battery separate and are not properly-mixed and the distilled water/acid solution can freeze.

As the voltage level drops in a battery, the freezing point (temperature) of the liquid rises.... :(

Voltage does not always tell the true picture of a battery's health, you really need to measure the Specific Gravity of the liquid in a battery which compares the density of the battery electrolyte to that of water.
Specific gravity can be measured using a hydrometer. Most good auto mechanics/shops should have a hydrometer.
As the specific gravity number of the liquid in a battery drops numerically, the freezing point of the liquid in the battery rises.
Low specific gravity of the liquid indicates a low state of charge.

These two charts show the relationships between specific gravity, voltage, and the freezing point of the liquid.

Note: the voltages listed are for a single cell of a typical wet cell 12v battery (~2 volts)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just thought I'd close this thread out...

I bought a new battery and everything is fine. I think I drained it down cranking and cranking in cold temps and let it freeze once or twice, and it developed some bad cells. It would charge to 12v and even develop the rated CCAs but not have the full amp-hours it needed to spin the jeep over as long as necessary in the cold.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:27 am 
LOST Newbie

[quote="spectrenavig8tr"]HI everyone,

So I have an issue with the CRD. It ran fine with no problems until yesterday. This morning, went to start it and it wouldn't crank. I can hear a click when the key is turned in the ignition. Suspected it was the battery as it was cold. Tested battery and it was low. Changed battery and still won't start. Mechanic has confirmed the starter is OK. I am sort of at a loss and don't want to have to take the vehicle to the dealer. Any ideas would be welcome. :dizzy:

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Had to find a 2X2 stick long enough to hammer on the starter. I bought a new starter thinking it was the solenoid... years later and I still have that new starter in the back of my CRD. I suspect an electrical gremlin because I had to replace my battery at the same time and that was during sub zero temperatures.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:46 am 

Rocky05 wrote:
spectrenavig8tr wrote:
HI everyone,
I had a similar problem a few years ago. Had to find a 2X2 stick long enough to hammer on the starter. I bought a new starter thinking it was the solenoid... years later and I still have that new starter in the back of my CRD. I suspect an electrical gremlin because I had to replace my battery at the same time and that was during sub zero temperatures.

First check all fuses and make sure you have none that are blown!
Check battery voltage and make sure it is at 12v or better.
Next try swapping the starter relay with one of the other relays in the power distribution center that is under the hood in front of the battery.
If that does not allow it to start with key you can also try pulling the starter relay out and jumper terminals 30 to 87, this should engage starter and engine should start if you have key in the on position.

Some also have had an issue with the starter switch actuator pin breaking that is attached to the rear of the lock/key cylinder.
See this thread for good information on the actuator pin breaking issue:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=69544

Report back what you find or if you need more help. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

Last edited by WWDiesel on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:12 am 
LOST Member

If the battery is good and a "click" is heard at the starter area it would indicate that the solenoid is energizing...hence the "click".

The solenoid is now supposed to supply heavy current to the starter itself. This heavy current can only be there if the battery terminals are clean and tight, negative battery terminal lead going to chassis is clean and tight, grounding strap grounding motor to chassis is clean tight and finally....you guessed it...the connections on the solenoid and starter motor are clean and tight!

You can take a thick lead such as a 600 Amp jumper cable to connect in parrallel any of the above leads to see which is failing ie. connect from the battery negative to chassis/engine to see if that helps.

You can connect a meter to the starter motor lead to see if the solenoid is providing a good +12 volts to the motor.

The starter motor may have stopped on a bad section of copper comuttator....giving the starter motor a good thump with a rubber mallet sometimes improves the contact enabling it to start.

Otherwise a bad solenoid or bad starter motor! :?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wow! This is a really timely thread. I just walked out to my drive and the Jeep wouldn't turn over.

Solenoid was good and I was able to start it with a 'hot-wire' I suspect the plastic pushrod.

Thanks guys! Lost saves the day again!