It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ccv filter
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:29 pm 
LOST Member

what exactly is the issue with the closed ccv? I have a 02 7.3 powerstroke diesel with a closed ccv system. It does develope an oily film on the the boots which connect the air pipes to and from the intercooler, in addition to a small amout of black gunk in the air intake system. People have developed a by-pass system for these engines too, but I just dont see the problem with it. People have posted when they took out their intercooler on high mileage PSD's and got ounces, not quarts of oil out of the intercooler. Many people also get hundreds of thousands of miles out of these engines with the closed ccv. I must note that the 02 has no EGR, could that be the difference?

02 ford 250 psd crew cab
05 liberty crd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:26 pm 
LOST Addict

That Powerstroke is probably running 15W40 CI-4 rated oil, not 0W40 CF rated like DC is putting in these. Also, even though the CCv system may be basically the same, it sounds as though the PS has an effective oil separator on the valve cover.

We're talking less than 10K miles that people are seeing significant amounts of oil in their intake systems, the hoses literally coated and dripping with oil. A friend had 20K miles on his, was still using 0W40 oil. There was so much oil in his the hoses literally slid off by themselves when we loosened the clamps, left standing oil on the intercooler stub tubes, and was puddled at least 1/8" deep in an elbow on the outlet hose. If there was that much in the outlet hose, imagine what was inside the intercooler.

On mine the first 900 miles with the 0W40 factory oil level went down by at least 1/2 quart. At that point I switched to Rotella 5W40, and oil consumption practically ceased.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:03 am 
LOST Addict

The oil in itself is not really a problem, the real problem is the soot from an EGR. About the worst the oil will do is shorten life of the IC hoses and thats an easy fix. The Soot from the EGR however will end up in the intake and then mixes with the oil to form a gooie mess, your early Power Smoke has no EGR so there is no real problem and like retmil46 stated you probably run the 15w-40 oil which doesn't vaporize as much as a 0w or 5w oil.

Once we do make the switch to ULSD of 15 ppm sulfur the soot and oil mix problem will become a lot less a problem, but it will remain a problem (an example would be intake cleaning may be only need once in 100k instead of say 50k miles at present) till the engine mfg's add a proper oil/air seperator. You guys should see how this crud builds up in the intake section at the valves in VW's, the same is happening to all new diesels with EGR's and CCV systems.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:58 am 
LOST Member

I use one of these in my Lightning
http://www.lightningforceperformance.co ... uctID=1138
Anybody think about something as simple as this? It was a life saver.
-c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:59 am 
LOST Addict

Probably to small since it is designed for a gasser.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:20 am 
LOST Member

Possibly too small, but the L engine is a big booty motor with a big booty blower on it. The concept could be adapted to a bigger seperator. I only bring it up because I see lots of complaints about the problem, but not one post about what people are trying.
-c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:27 am 
LOST Addict

ccattie wrote:
Possibly too small, but the L engine is a big @$#% motor with a big @$#% blower on it. The concept could be adapted to a bigger seperator. I only bring it up because I see lots of complaints about the problem, but not one post about what people are trying.
-c
You need to look a little more, some have installed ProVent CCV filters, some the elephant mod, and I have been working to get a good made for us that will not need special plumbing or tools to install.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:19 pm 
LOST Member

I've seen the provent posts but now where to buy a lib kit. I've tried searching but I don't seem to find the results with which vendor sells the provent with our setup done.. I saw catch can posts (which is essentially what the link I posted was) but they aren't cheap. I installed the item I posted in about 12 seconds. I was just trying to toss another idea out there but I get the point - shut up new guy 8). I'll stick back to just reading (am about half way through your thread about your custom one youre making).
-c

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:35 pm 
LOST Addict

No, don't shut up, keep asking questions, that's how all of us learn. Believe me, oldnavy had no intention of shutting you off, you mentioned you hadn't seen anything yet on this line, and he was just pointing out there had already been a lot of discussion on it. None of us know everything.

That rig you posted the link to is a good idea, use something similar in the PCV line on my gas car, but a good bit cheaper. But I agree with oldnavy, it's probably too small and the air velocity would be too high, given the amount of air flow thru the CCV system on the CRD to be effective. Fleetguard makes a oil separator system, and for our engine, they say we'd need a unit that would handle at least 5 scfm air flow.

As far as a Provent kit for the CRD, there isn't one, all the plumbing is DIY.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:45 pm 
LOST Addict

ccattie wrote:
I've seen the provent posts but now where to buy a lib kit. I've tried searching but I don't seem to find the results with which vendor sells the provent with our setup done.. I saw catch can posts (which is essentially what the link I posted was) but they aren't cheap. I installed the item I posted in about 12 seconds. I was just trying to toss another idea out there but I get the point - shut up new guy 8). I'll stick back to just reading (am about half way through your thread about your custom one youre making).
-c
Yup as Mitch said I wasn't telling you to shut up, I was trying to tell you to do a little reasearch here. There are quite a few options and so far none are really what we need.

I also didn't want to sound like I was pushing the one that I have done a lot of work with a company in CA to get built. I will be a really nice setup, has a filter, and does not require any wild plumbing as the other CCV filter options. I have seen the finished CAD drawings and it just blows my mind, it will look like OEM and fit under the engine cover. Now that is all I can say for now, but it will be worth the wait.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine