It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new battery brand suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:49 am 
LOST Member

Thinking about putting a new battery into the jeep. Just wondering what everyone has had good luck with lately. I have heard optima was bought out after the OEM batt was installed, and that they aren't as good as they had been?

It was cranking a little slower than i think it should have been this morning and i figure i can swap it into another car and put the new good one in the crd.

88 5.0 vert (blown, but soon to be TT stroker)
66 f100 project.
01 cbr 929rr

Post subject: Re: new battery brand suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:42 am 

Exide Edge group 34 AGM is what I have now, on second winter and seems to be holding up just fine.
I would also take a hard look at Northstar batteries, my battery dealer friend speaks very highly of them... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In general look for a Group 34 (original was a 34R but a regular 34 will fit although you might have to slightly bend the - cable end to fit), ideally AGM, CCA of 800 (original Red Top was 700 but more is better). I've got a Sears P1, my son has an Interstate, some use a Costco house brand, most any name brand with a decent warranty and price will do.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Odyssey is running a 20% off sale and free shipping until the end of Nov.

The more CCA the better! This is my battery suggestion, but it does require minor trimming of the battery tray: http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/65-pc1750t-a

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:12 pm 
LOST Member

thanks for all of the replys everyone.

Has anyone tried to fit a different battery group in here for even more CCA's?

weeks101 wrote:

The more CCA the better! This is my battery suggestion, but it does require minor trimming of the battery tray: http://shop.odysseybattery.com/p/65-pc1750t-a

I noticed in a little research that it is beleived that the sears P1's are the odyssey batts. I will have to check into this. I don't mind spending extra on somthing that will last. I actually had no problems with the red top that was in it when i bought the crd used. It didn't die until it was about 8 years old, and if the P1 is another 180cc amps then i bet it will work even better.

EDIT- I noticed this isn't the same group? is that why you said trimming of the tray is required?

66 f100 project.
01 cbr 929rr

Last edited by mustang_gt_350 on Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes at least one member, forget who and did not save the post as 800CCA in a Group 34 is ample, did but it involved rather substantial engine bay mods as I recall.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:42 pm 
LOST Member

A shop owner friend of mine likes Deka (NAPA brand is made by Deka) Pt# 7534

He sees the LEAST warranty on Deka's

TB / WP / SAMCO Hoses - Dec '14 (93,000 miles)
Redline Synthetics (Frt/Rear Differentials) - Dec '14 (93,000 miles)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:49 am 
LOST Member

I think i will swap the battery from the TDI (i have a group 65 in it) and will put the 34 i have in the libby into the TDI since the TDI cranks over a little easier. I will see how that works. The jetta has sat for 2 days highs in the mid 20's and lows in the singles, and i checked it this morning and it was still holding 12.55V. Mine in the CRD after a 15 mile drive sitting 5 hours is at 12.3

I found a good price on the optima from amazon. Just not sure if i want to go that way, or the odyssey.. I would really like to try the oddyssey but its 100.00 more than the optima even with the 20% discount and ship fee.

66 f100 project.
01 cbr 929rr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:00 am 
LOST Addict

I have a group size 24 in mine.
No modifications.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:25 pm 
LOST Junkie

mustang_gt_350 wrote:

I noticed this isn't the same group? is that why you said trimming of the tray is required?

Correct, it is a 65-series. I run the Die Hard re-branded version of the one I linked above. It fits like a glove after trimming the tray. It literally takes 10 minutes. In my opinion this should have been the factory battery size from the beginning.

The battery is responsible for the fuel heater, glow plugs, lift pump (if you have one), the starter, and in my case also an intake heater, so definitely the more CCA the better, and the 65 series is probably the biggest battery you can fit using the factory tray (modified of course).

Basically, the two raised areas need to be trimmed down so they are level with the interior portion of the tray.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:44 pm 
LOST Member

weeks101 wrote:
mustang_gt_350 wrote:

I noticed this isn't the same group? is that why you said trimming of the tray is required?

Correct, it is a 65-series. I run the Die Hard re-branded version of the one I linked above. It fits like a glove after trimming the tray. It literally takes 10 minutes. In my opinion this should have been the factory battery size from the beginning.

The battery is responsible for the fuel heater, glow plugs, lift pump (if you have one), the starter, and in my case also an intake heater, so definitely the more CCA the better, and the 65 series is probably the biggest battery you can fit using the factory tray (modified of course).

Basically, the two raised areas need to be trimmed down so they are level with the interior portion of the tray.

Thats the parts that i figured needed the trimming. Thanks for the pics. What is the best way to trim them? pull the tray from the jeep? or do it in the jeep? And what did you use to trim it? I have one of those mini hacksaws i was thinking it may fit in there to cut it.

I saw the intake heater post, is it available on your page yet? i don't think i saw it.

66 f100 project.
01 cbr 929rr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

I left it installed. Used a chisel and a mallet, worked my way around.

Heater is still in testing phase, not yet for sale.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:04 am 
LOST Member

Thanks. I'll have to either try it with the chisel or the mini saw. Hopefully i can get to it today.

66 f100 project.
01 cbr 929rr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:49 pm 
LOST Addict

I currently have a Sears Platinum P1 I very highly recommend it.

I did have a 800 cold cranking amp GOLD one from advanced Auto parts for several years. It died the other summer and they gave me some grief over the warranty and my receipt being too faded I had to go to a different location to get the warranty honored. last winter during our arctic freeze here in the mid Atlantic it continually was not strong enough to start the Jeep. they replaced it a few times before refunding my the purchase price after which I went to Sears. I no longer can recommend Advanced Auto for a CRD battery.

Post subject: new battery brand suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:51 pm 
LOST Addict

mustang_gt_350 wrote:
Thanks. I'll have to either try it with the chisel or the mini saw. Hopefully i can get to it today.

If you have a dremel with a cutting disk, is even easier. Since I got my dremel few years ago, I end up using it more than I thought I would, it's small, fits almost anywhere, from cutting hard access bolts, grinding and filing stuff, it's probably one of the most used power tool I have.

Oh, btw, stay away of optima, never thought I'll say this, I have 2 optimas 800 cca on the Crd and 2 on the Cherokee. The crds are about 1 year old, after it sits for a day in the garage, the voltage is at 12.3. The Cherokee optimas, a bit older than 2 years, are at 11.5 volts after few days in the garage. It seems the new optimas are garbage.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:53 pm 
LOST Member

thermorex wrote:
mustang_gt_350 wrote:

If you have a dremel with a cutting disk, is even easier. Since I got my dremel few years ago, I end up using it more than I thought I would, it's small, fits almost anywhere, from cutting hard access bolts, grinding and filing stuff, it's probably one of the most used power tool I have.

Oh, btw, stay away of optima, never thought I'll say this, I have 2 optimas 800 cca on the Crd and 2 on the Cherokee. The crds are about 1 year old, after it sits for a day in the garage, the voltage is at 12.3. The Cherokee optimas, a bit older than 2 years, are at 11.5 volts after few days in the garage. It seems the new optimas are garbage.

Thats is pretty much what i have heard about the optimas in the last year or 2.

66 f100 project.
01 cbr 929rr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Got one Wednesday morning when my OE battery crapped out. Was described as the top of the line for Duralast but, contrary to what you would expect, has a 3-year free replacement while the gold has a 4 year free replacement. Probably would have gone with the Odyssey like this https://10carbest.com/best-jeep-battery if they had one in stock. Didn't want the Optima with all of the negative reviews. Duralast Platinum was selected as best option at time. One nice thing was that the clerk removed old battery and installed new one right there at the store (no charge).

and yes, I know its an old thread, but anyway...

Last edited by Jacerioma on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My Sears Diehard by Odyssey P1 purchased 11/2010 is still going strong, the key is to trickle charge overnight once a month during the winter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

mustang_gt_350 wrote:
thanks for all of the replys everyone.

weeks101 wrote:

I noticed in a little research that it is beleived that the sears P1's are the odyssey batts. I will have to check into this. I don't mind spending extra on somthing that will last. I actually had no problems with the red top that was in it when i bought the crd used. It didn't die until it was about 8 years old, and if the P1 is another 180cc amps then i bet it will work even better.

EDIT- I noticed this isn't the same group? is that why you said trimming of the tray is required?

i bought the battery tray from sasquatch parts, it should hold a group 65 battery which should be good for about 900 to 950CCAs