It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: P0234
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So I got the head, head gasket, weeks kit, and ARP studs all installed, and I should have took the Jeep in for inspection before hand, but now I took it in and it had a P0234. So I checked the linkage, hoses cleaned map sensor etc. Cleared the code, took it for a ride and flogged the he11 out of it. And now it says MAP reading too high (did not write down the code).

So just wondering if this is a combo of the greater air flow with the weeks kit, or maybe my MAP needs to be replaced, it was not even dirty.

Post subject: Re: P0234
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I struggled with the same issue and found the sensor to be just slightly out of range and would read 2psi higher than specified intermittently, I swapped one from another crd jeep I have and haven't had a single issue since.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

toby wrote:
I struggled with the same issue and found the sensor to be just slightly out of range and would read 2psi higher than specified intermittently, I swapped one from another crd jeep I have and haven't had a single issue since.

Thanks, I think I will just order a new one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:47 pm 
LOST Addict

You may want to check the turbo vane rod for 1/2 inch movement when vacuum is removed/connected a few times at idle.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
You may want to check the turbo vane rod for 1/2 inch movement when vacuum is removed/connected a few times at idle.

I connected it to vacuum source and it had about a 1/2" of travel. Is is more important to do it with the engines vacuum?

I am pretty sure the MAP code was P0108.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:

Agreed. The veins may be sticking if the map sensor turns out to not be the issue.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well it might have been something as simple as an air filter. Just checked and it was filthy, could not even see light through it.

Per FSM:

Quote:
Possible Causes

AIR FILTER

AIR RESTRICTION

AIR LEAKS

BOOST CONTROL VACUUM SUPPLY

BOOST PRESSURE ACTUATOR

TURBOCHARGER

With 4 vehicles, plus power equipment to maintain, I am slipping in my old age? :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, got the P0234 again today, so I pulled of the wastegate actuator and sprayed it up with some WD40, got it freed up and it is loose as a goose. I guess the only movement I was seeing was slack in the linkage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

flman wrote:
Well, got the P0234 again today, so I pulled of the wastegate actuator and sprayed it up with some WD40, got it freed up and it is loose as a goose. I guess the only movement I was seeing was slack in the linkage.

As I wrote elsewhere, that can be deceptive: I was seeing about 1/4" ove movement in the vacuum actuator for the variable vanes (not a wastegate) even though the vanes were seized tight. It is difficult to really measure.

Once freed up, you should see 12-13mm movement on that actuator arm. If you can measure more precisely, you may find that it isn't as much as you thought.

At 138k, new head & gasket, timing belt, rockers and swearing vocabulary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Getting this code (and p0108) as of today right after I "got on" the skinny pedal in traffic, and it was accompanied by what sounded like a mild metallic chatter from the area of the turbo which went away quickly and didn't come back...Can someone describe where the actuator is on the unit? This and the cool-side intercooler hose (which is due for replacement with a samco in the garage anyway) are the two likely suspects, methinks.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids