It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: died wont start
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I could not find a thread addressing this question--so: a crd 2005 with 84000ish miles i bought recently died while driving and wont restart. At the time, I had been on the road for approx an hour. Based on the near zero degree weather, I thought it had to do with a fuel gelling problem. Fuel filter replaced, fuel primed and still not starting. Jeep acts as though it is out of time--seems to be sucking air on the exhaust stroke and pushing air out of the air cleaner. When the jeep died it just acted like it had ran out of fuel--leading to the earlier diagnosis-also no engine noises etc., but now that it doesnt start could the timing belt have slipped? Timing belt has been inspected and appears tight and in good shape--doesnt seem like it would have slipped. Is there anything else that might have caused this to happen? Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: died wont start
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy MMNTX - hope you got out of the cold

any chance it got filled with gas? - that's a simplest explanation.

there are a number of not starting threads - most are electrical, your's might be electrical - if the alternator/pulley died and did not charge the battery - but it sounds like yours still cranks.

it terms of troubleshooting "died while driving" is a big deal - if you find those - they tend to be timing belt and or rockers.

I don't know how you can say the timing belt has been inspected?

physically looking at the belt it is about 80% of the work necessary to replace it - you have to pull parts to get there
the serpentine on the front drives fan, alternator and AC - not timing.

and I hate to say it but 84Kmiles doesn't matter as much as 9 years old - on the original belt - that a problem.

Quote:
Gates recommends 6 years regardless of mileage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your advice.

Timing belt has been inspected by the removal of the timing belt cover and a quick inspection of the belt found behind this cover. You could not change the belt by simply removing the cover, but with a flashlight, mirror and some time the belt can be easily inspected. This belt is still in place and when engine cranks appears to be turning as should.

The battery has been recharged and the stuff coming out of the bleeder valve is clearly diesel so I am sure the simple explanations are out.

So I guess that leaves timing belt failure in the sense that the belt is stretched or jumped-even though wouldn't i have heard some engine noises when this happened instead just dying? and why does everything still appear to work right on the other end?--or an electrical issue, sensor, etc. Do crank or cam sensor failures have similar effects?

thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry mate but what you describe is not an suitable timing belt inspection or a timing check. Yes with some gymnastics you can see portions of the timing belt by undoing selected small bolts holding the timing belt in place but about all that will tell you is the TB is not broken. Even if you could seen the TB tensioner, which I doubt, well enough to see if there was adequate tension that alone would not tell you if it jumped time. What you could do the check the timing with simple tools you likely have on hand is to get far enough in to be able to manually rotate the engine (Rotate the engine clockwise only with a 21mm socket on the front of the crankshaft) and check to see if the cams and flywheel can be all pined at the same time. I don't know if you can get to the crank to rotate the engine without removal of the fan and fan shroud (if you do remove these be sure to cut the fan shroud just below the bolt tabs and throw away the bottom half to make future removal easier). For pining since you are just doing a quick and dirty check a long shaft 6mm or 1/4" allen key will do fine (see illustration in 05FSM) and a couple of drill bits that are 0.275" in diameter. The drill bits cannot be used in a real timing job but they will do to check timing.

Another quick check is to pull the driver side CAC hose; have someone hold a $1 bill in front of the FCV; crank the engine; if the bill is pulled toward the FCV your rockers are probably ok and the TB is likely ok; if the bill is pushed away then 1 or more rockers are shot and the TB jumped time.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs